Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times

Advertisements

whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 AM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Did it make you feel good to finally get all those little terms out of your system?
whatever

Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
How ridiculous a statement thi happens to be! Do you have throngs of white caped marauders running around your neighborhood putting negroes in their place? You have a lot of imaginary friends and windmills Avocatto.
Then tell me what this pre-occupation, damn near fetish like concern over the use of the term African American is all about?

PS- do you think you can raise the level of your conversation above, let's say to about the 3rd grade, by not playing childish games with folks user names? You think you can handle that?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Then tell me what this pre-occupation, damn near fetish like concern over the use of the term African American is all about?

PS- do you think you can raise the level of your conversation above, let's say to about the 3rd grade, by not playing childish games with folks user names? You think you can handle that?
I don't think accusing someone of being a third grader is any way to raise the level of discourse. But libs always do that. It is a hit and run tactic they employ pretty good, i am often impressed, one of their better qualities.
I beg your pardon for the O. Ithought maybe you didn't know how to spell it and that eventually you would catch on without my pointing it out and embarrassing you.

Directly to the point. African American is a term invented by blacks to help them to elevate their self esteem. Most don't have any more freaking clue about their African heritage than I do about my English/Irish/Scandanavian heritage. Like myself most could care less. Again this is an invention to elevate self image. All blacks ever had to do was be American. To be American in and of itself is the greatest crown any man could hope to wear.
The fact is to be American is best explained by realizing that no queen or king of prior history would trade places with even the lowest of americans. We are a nation of kings. However, libs don't get it do they?

It is never enough ,so they constantly strive for more entitlements.
No sooner was the civil rights movement won and segregation abolished, that the black population, many of the leaders at least, began to lead their constituents back into segregation. The African-American moniker was one of the symbols of that segregationist movement.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM

190 posts, read 465,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Leave it to an atheist to use words like "retard" and "cripple". That's what happens when one worships himself only.
Leave it to a simpleton to call anyone that apears to not be religious an athiest.

Here are some words for you to google incase you ever come to the west coast or step foot on the campus of a university.

agnostic
secular
humanism
diest

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default What Race Will I Be Today ??? DUH !..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Gotta agree. It is a stupid made-up PC term that isn't even correct in many cases. Not all black people are from africa, not all african-americans are black.

That term needs to just go away.
Good Afternoon,

Amen to that. It appears that some folks simply will not face the basic fact if you are born in America to legal American parents, then by the grace of God ... you are an American !

If one is not proud of being an American citizen then it would greatly behoove them to immediately return to the country that they claim such a great affinity.

I had a neighbor who did this very thing and he is now happily living in his ancestrial home which of course he has never seen, in his country of choice, Greece.

America ... Either love it or leave it on the very next flight out of here!
We are AMERICANS ! Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I find it funny when people say African Americans have never been to Africa, don't want to go there and have no knowledge of the continent, so drop the word "African" Practically every aspect of African American culture that does not resemble mainstream White culture can be traced to Africa. Language, food, religion, music, dance, family dynamics are all from Africa.

Not withstanding the fact that black people in America were routinely refered to as Africans by whites from the very beginning, the Isolation of West Africans in America for so long is why an African American may have more African retentions than say a third generation Nigerian whose family had the advantage of being "mainstreamed" from the start.
I think it would make just as much sense to tell Native Americans to stop hyphenating their cultural designation. They can certainly speak for themselves here, but isolation created major factor in their cultural identity also. There are places in America where Native peoples and African Americans are still isolated .

Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I don't think accusing someone of being a third grader is any way to raise the level of discourse.
And you think addressing me as avacatto does?

Quote:
Directly to the point. African American is a term invented by blacks to help them to elevate their self esteem... Again this is an invention to elevate self image.
Then pray tell what was the rational for using the term "black"?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And you think addressing me as avacatto does?

Then pray tell what was the rational for using the term "black"?
Is that your real name? If not you need to grow up maybe? This is not the school ground. If you put three lll s in atilla I 'm not gonna get disturbed about it, geez.

I am sensitive to blacks and their plight. It was pretty awful what they encountered in this country for well over a hundred years. There comes a time when a person needs to put the past behind. We can't get away from the fact that we have different skin color or racial characteristics. My preference would be that we were all color blind and didn't even refer to one another as black or white that would be the idea. Just all people of good will.
I do occassionally tongue in cheek make fun of a lot of things here on this forum including race. I get the occassional kick out of pointing out the utter ridiculousness of some of the extreme leftist positions.

There is a young black woman that posts on here that i recently had an encounter with. I respect her a lot. She states she works in black neighborhoods trying to help the disadvantaged. I attacked her perspective when she referred to "her people" I said what the f... is that? Am I not your people. Never in my life have I referred to white people as my people to the exclusion of other races including blacks. I am married to a Canadian of Japanese heritage that doesn't know as many Japanese words as I do. Don't think racism doesn't cross the blood lines. My son caught hell from both.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:33 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
There is plenty of proof out there, if you don't accept those proofs why would you accept any other I might give?

Wow, I never met someone who was so cowardly that she fears big bird or mr. rogers.

At what point did I say that my being from Jersey shows how tough I am? Looks like you've been reading into what I said and injecting your own inferiority complex into it. You obviously weren't raised in Jersey - our schools are good and you'd know better than to do what you're doing.

Do you repeat yourself often? Do you repeat yourself often?

No, I don't know if that site exists, but you sure are persistent in pursuing me. Find yourself a nice Republican man who is sure to be gay, like Senator Larry Craig.
I am not attacking you. well I was, but that was not my intentions. I am not going to resort to childish behavior with a neanderthal who wants to pick fights with someone because they dont like their opinion.

Back to the subject. African American is not a race. If you were born in Africa you are African, If you were born in America you are American. Unless your mother found a way to give birth to you while on both continents at the same time you are one or the other. Either way, it is a nationality and not a race. I think its hilarious that the if your White you get the option of white or Caucasian, and every other race out there is classified by their country of decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies