Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,544,828 times

Advertisements

I agree with Beck and I'm black......err....negro.....African-American .....eer uh....colored.....

Get my drift.......??? We can't figure out what we are!!!!! It'll be some other flavor of the month 10 years from now.

Why not just be Americans???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I agree with Beck and I'm black......err....negro.....African-American .....eer uh....colored.....

Get my drift.......??? We can't figure out what we are!!!!! It'll be some other flavor of the month 10 years from now.

Exactly Teddy's point

Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Go look at a census form, or just abut any form that asks for race to be identified. Tell me how many times you see Irish-American, Italian American, even European-American. No, we get White, and sometimes Caucasian. But the census form offers up African-American. Why is that?
I'm not talking about The Census. I'm talking about in everyday life; people try to make using the term "African-American" a big deal then. They say, "Why do they (black people) call themselves 'African American,' we're all American?" But, they don't say that when an Italian-American refers to themselves as "Italian-American." Also, forget the hyphen, who cares about the hyphen? That's small, we could drop that and people would still have a problem.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:29 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,494 times
Quote:

No, YOU can't figure out who you are. The simple fact that you would say that about your own black people is disturbing ... "We can't figure out what we are." How dumb is that? Besides, don't you realize that some of those terms were imposed on us?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:34 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I am not attacking you. well I was, but that was not my intentions. I am not going to resort to childish behavior with a neanderthal who wants to pick fights with someone because they dont like their opinion.

Back to the subject. African American is not a race. If you were born in Africa you are African, If you were born in America you are American. Unless your mother found a way to give birth to you while on both continents at the same time you are one or the other. Either way, it is a nationality and not a race. I think its hilarious that the if your White you get the option of white or Caucasian, and every other race out there is classified by their country of decent.
Caucasian used to be a term for Americans who were not considered "White." (like Irish, Polish, Slovenian,Italian) There was no option, you could come through Ellis Island and take the oath but you were not "white". Just look at WWI draft records. White is just as much a political construct for a group of people as African American is. Why did certain Americans refer to them selves as "White People". What was the point of these people saying we are not just American, we are "White People" It had to be pretty easy to tell if a person was a slave, Indian or American in those days.
Immigrants and non-black minorities don't want to blend in and be considered caucasian, they want to be White.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 01-09-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Despite being off the deep end for the most part, Beck is dead on right on this point. I fully agree with what he said.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
You actually put stock in what "Think Progress" publishes? The first thing I saw when I went to the above link was a link to "Media Matters" and a note that they had "more on Becks racism"

These people are propagandists. They lie. In the first place, Beck is anything but a racist. That term is used far too loosely today.

Secondly, there was no "tirade". They were having a bit of fun with the PC sensus. And they were right about the term, African-American, which isn't a race. Do you know what a race is?

Why don't you listen to Glenn Beck for yourself (and watch his TV show), and find out just how wrong all these ridiculous left wing blogs are. They are lying to you. You might just learn something too. Instead, you'd rather get your information second hand from a source that is anything but trustworthy.

No wonder you liberals are so uninformed.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,542 times
Quote:

The black guys I grew up with in Ky. don't go for it and they were in the heart of the civil rights movement. Thos was placed upon the blacks of the day by certain black leadership. Again integration was won and no sooner the leadership set apart to segregate. Go figure.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
he is right, it is not a race, it is more of a nationality. Comprende?
What is his point? I don't know anyone who doesn't get it. If you say someone is African American, then there is no question what his/her race is.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What is his point? I don't know anyone who doesn't get it. If you say someone is African American, then there is no question what his/her race is.
No one is questioning the conventional definition of the term, what is being disputed here is based on a logically sound technicality.

My best friend's family came here from Libya almost 50 years ago, and he is an American citizen. Think of where Libya is and then, whilst keeping a straight face, come up with an airtight reason for saying he is of the same race as someone whom you call an African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies