Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
How many times can you contradict yourself before you understand how stupid the term african american is?
I could care less what blacks call each other. I get tired of you telling me what to call blacks.
At least make up your minds. Are you Black, Negro, colored or african American? Chose one and stick with it.
things change from time to time. and negro is something that white people used 1st to describe do your own history!
where have i contradicted myself i stand cl.ear on what i said stop reaching and complaining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM

146 posts, read 149,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't care if someone calls themselves 'black' or 'African American'---that's up to them to define themselves. Beck only cares because he wants them counted in the census with the 'whites' so that communities with a large number of blacks can no longer to targeted for special, tax funded programs. The more blacks or Latinos he can swag to check something other than their own race the less money that will go towards programs designed to give people of color a leg up in some of the poorest neighborhoods of the country.
Yeah right, you believe this crap? Really? Wow, no wonder America is plunging deeper into the crapper.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:03 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't care if someone calls themselves 'black' or 'African American'---that's up to them to define themselves. Beck only cares because he wants them counted in the census with the 'whites' so that communities with a large number of blacks can no longer to targeted for special, tax funded programs. The more blacks or Latinos he can swag to check something other than their own race the less money that will go towards programs designed to give people of color a leg up in some of the poorest neighborhoods of the country.
He didnt say they should be listed as white. Show me where he wants that please

Or is that you making up what he wants?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Well it's not like it's a brilliant thought, people have been bitching about AA and other labels forever.
But it's not such a big deal to me that I care one way or the other.
Almost everyone, to the person, would agree that if we drop all labels and just call ourselves "American" we would be better off.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He didnt say they should be listed as white. Show me where he wants that please

Or is that you making up what he wants?
I didn't say that Beck said that. But there is a movement in certain circles to do away with all questions of ethnicity on the census and Beck is only working up to those talking points---to do away with all questions of race on the census. "We're all Americans, right? Why do we have to answer questions about race?"

Census questions vary over time. In the 1800s they had a box to check for mulattoes.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-08-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 02:14 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Could someone pleeeaase put that man on some meds?

His stupidity is overwhelming.
Glenn beck needs to be admitted to a mental institution to receive an accurate prescription for his multiple conditions.

He's finally confirming his racism by his claim that "African American" is not a race.

This man can really harm himself & a lot of people with all of his hatred, animosity, and ignorance.
The way he's already harming most folks is by brainwashing them as they view his broadcastings.

Poor viewers better wake up or they'll continue to destroy themselves as long as they keep following him.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM

146 posts, read 149,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Glenn beck needs to be admitted to a mental institution to receive an accurate prescription for his multiple conditions.

He's finally confirming his racism by his claim that "African American" is not a race.

This man can really harm a lot of people with all of his hatred, animosity, and ignorance.
The way he's already harming most folks is by brainwashing them as they view his broadcastings.

Poor viewers better wake up or they'll continue to destroy themselves as long as they keep following him.
Oh boy, another one...Sheesh, please read through the entire thread to get a clue please.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have to use the term black since it is the most reasonable one.
According to you.

You know you do a lot commenting about things like personal freedom, yet you seem hell bent on denying some folks to freely define themselves as they like.

Anyway...

Quote:
It replaced negro long ago for obvious reasons
Who made that decision and what were those "obvious" reasons? Frankly, If you are honest you would have to agree that the decision to use black as opposed to use negro, was dare I say, a politically based decision. So if you accept that black was more politically correct than negro, I find the argument that African American is simply a issue of political correctness, then why do you not have the same objection regarding the use of black?

Quote:
but when talking about race I think I can speak with black people using that term without causing real trouble.
That is quite true, in informal conversation the term "black" is quite appropriate, but in our language we have both informal and formal manners of speech, one does not preclude the use of the other which is the crux of the problem, you are arbitrarily attempting to make a decision which is not yours to make or Beck's to make.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I have white friends that were born and raised in Africa so they arent african? lol Yeah ok I'll be sure to tell them that when I see them again.

If someone wants to call themselves something that is not correct have at it
Yeah, like Caucasian.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,495,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Could someone pleeeaase put that man on some meds?

His stupidity is overwhelming.
Why?

please explain yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies