Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I just got this in an e-mail and it immediately reminded me of this thread. Hope it is all right to post it.

No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,
WE ARE AWESOME !!!
OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!

To Those of Us Born
1925 - 1970 :

At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno.. If you don't read anything else, please
read what he said.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.
~~~~~~~~~
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s, '60s and '70s!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank
while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were
put to sleep on our tummies
in baby cribs covered
with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets,
and, when we rode our bikes,
we had baseball caps,
not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And we weren't overweight.
WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
--And, we were OKAY..

We would spend hours building
our go-carts out of scraps
and then ride them down the hill,
only to find out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There were
no video games, no 150 channels on cable,
no video movies or DVDs,
no surround-sound or CDs,
no cell phones,
no personal computers,
no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS
and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut,
broke bones and teeth,
and there were no lawsuits
from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies
made from dirt, and
the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and
-although we were told it would happen- we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts
and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn
to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers,
problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 50 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas..

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of those born
between 1925-1970, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
~~~~~~~
The quote of the month
by
Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us......pass this on.
I have had that e-mail many times and as one who was born early in that suggested area I can say that those good old days won't ever be back again, largely because of technological development as much as anything. They were good old days, however.

I think that Leno was very right with that statement but I realize that there is a huge number of secularists who just can't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM

153 posts, read 238,370 times
Instead of taking the bus home from school, my friends and I would walk - cutting through the cornfields and beating the bus home by 10 minutes. Today, the cornfields are gone, and on a recent visit my daughter and I got lost - on all those intertwining streets of McMansions that stand where the cornfields used to be, all looking alike, even down to the required soccer net in the yard and SUV in the driveway.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:20 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket).
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signs
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
5. Party line telephone in your home
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home
7. No computers in the home
8. Black and white TV shows
9. Not having air conditioning in your home.
10. Personally owning a typewriter.
11. Personally owning a phonograph.
12. Mimeographed copies in school
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing
14. A stay-at-home mother
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number.
18. The draft
19. No child car seats
20. No seat belts
21. Walking more than a mile home from school
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear.
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone.
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns.
29. Playing in the street
30. Give us one of your own.
Everything you mention applies to anyone born from 1946 to 1964 Your typical baby boomer. So here goes some more:

1. Drinking a lot of Tang after US landed on the moon
2. Having speakers as big as a dresser and an album collection that took up 3/4 of your bedroom. Rock
Concerts were free or you'd sneak in or you forged your own tickets
3. Being able to buy all the candy you want for $1.00 (1-5 cent a piece at a Ben Franklin Store) - wax black mustaches - chocolate ice cubes - candy cigarettes.
4. When you saved all your empty glass beer and soda bottles and the liquor store gave you money back for the returns or when you could drink legally at age 18 or buy cigarettes at the store for a parent with a signed note
5. When you had full service gas stations that washed your windows, checked your oil, gave S & H Green Stamps you saved and pasted in a book to buy something from a catalog and they gave you FREE drinking glasses
6. When folks rode a motorcycle without a helmet as well as on a bicycle.
7. When Walter Cronkite was the News
8. When the school dress code was dismantled and everyone was allowed to wear blue jeans to school
9. Going to the Drive In Movie on Saturday night and seeing how many people you could stuff in the trunk for free
10. Using aluminum foil on rabbit ears to get a good signal on the TV and when Technicolor was a big deal
11. When divorce, welfare, and single mothers was really a big deal
12. Recreational drugs were socially acceptable.
13. When there was NO Department of Education
14. Remembering where you were when JKF, MLK, and Bobby Kennedy were killed.
15.The racial riots of '68.
16. Sending our soliders to Vietnam and having 58,168 die and 1900-2500 POW/MIA's never come home

The very first group of baby boomers will begin to collect Social Security and Medicare in 2011. Medicare is expected to be broke by 2026 unless drastic changes are made to our health care system. In 1950, 16.5 workers paid retirement benefits for each retiree. By the year 2030, when baby boomers peak leaving the workforce, the ratio may be about two workers to every one retiree who is collecting Social Security.

For the retirees today fighting hard to keep what they already have; they should think of the baby boomers who will come after them. What do we want to leave the next generations? Do we want to spend our money at home or fight never ending war conflicts abroad. Can we afford to do both? The stats say no............

Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Everything except #15

Additional ones-

29. Everyone had a polio vaccine scar on thier arm
The scar was from smallpox.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:36 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
For the retirees today fighting hard to keep what they already have; they should think of the baby boomers who will come after them. What do we want to leave the next generations? Do we want to spend our money at home or fight never ending war conflicts abroad. Can we afford to do both? The stats say no............
I dunno . . considerin' the way they are raised now, I'm not sure they are even people.

Many will live out their lives with "helicopter security".

Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Bolded ones are what I don't remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many of these do you actually remember in your life. Do you think any of these or not experiencing most or many of these influence how you do things or think today compared to others who post here?

1. Only 13 TV channels and only 3 TV choices for news.
2. Getting news when you went to the movie theater, either before or between two movies (yes, two movies, one ticket).
3. Whites Only/Colored Only signs I know, intellectually, that they still existed, but I honestly do not remember ever actually seeing one.
4. The saying, "Hey, hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?"
5. Party line telephone in your home
6. Rotary dial telephone in your home
7. No computers in the home
8. Black and white TV shows
9. Not having air conditioning in your home.
10. Personally owning a typewriter.
11. Personally owning a phonograph.
12. Mimeographed copies in school
13. School drills in case of a nuclear bombing
14. A stay-at-home mother The only time I remember my mother not working was when she was pregnant with my youngest sister between my 8th and 9th birthdays.
15. Going "to church" at the drive in movie theater
16. Out of town homes for embarrassed unwed teenage mothers
17. Lining up for gasoline every other day depending on your odd/even license plate number. I know these things happened, but can't say I actually 'remember' them.
18. The draft
19. No child car seats
20. No seat belts
21. Walking more than a mile home from school
22. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing earrings
23. When men wouldn't be caught dead wearing thong underwear.
24. When only military and bikers had tattoos Having several cousins - both male and female - who literally tattooed themselves, I'd have to say no to this.
25. When the "good guy" in a movie wasn't flawed As someone else already posted, there is no such thing as any person, hero or otherwise, who doesn't have a flaw or two.
26. When you could buy a slice of pizza and a soda for under $1 Could still do this at a pizza shop near work in 1999, just before I relocated.
27. Being under 18 and not having your own phone. - Oh hell - I can remember several years AFTER I turned 18 and was on my own when I didn't have a phone.
28. Kids in the neighborhood coming to your house and trying to earn some money shoveling snow or mowing lawns.
29. Playing in the street
30. Give us one of your own.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I dunno . . considerin' the way they are raised now, I'm not sure they are even people.

Many will live out their lives with "helicopter security".
Makes one wonder if that is why they expect the government to take care of them. They have never learned or been allowed to think for themselves.

I firmly believe that the lack of play is causing the obesity.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Makes one wonder if that is why they expect the government to take care of them. They have never learned or been allowed to think for themselves.

I firmly believe that the lack of play is causing the obesity.
Yeah, like no one was ever on welfare before 2009.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:02 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
I remember when we would get our milk and tins of potato chips delivered.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:17 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
I remember when we would get our milk and tins of potato chips delivered.
Me too I remember the first time my mother made me go to a store and buy milk. I was convinced it didn't taste the same I remember my Uncle having blind taste tests when margarine became the new rage comparing it to butter - butter hands down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies