Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you support? (You may choose more than one.)
Same-sex marriage 11 78.57%
Civil unions 8 57.14%
Barring same-sex couples from adopting children 0 0%
No rights and no legal recognition of same-sex couples at all 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,591,341 times

Advertisements

"Portugal's parliament has passed a law to legalise same-sex marriage, but rejected proposals to allow homosexual couples to adopt."

BBC News - Same-sex marriage law backed in Portugal's parliament

It's interesting that in some countries, same-sex couples are being given legal recognition, but are being denied a right to adopt children. I wonder why that concept hasn't gotten any traction in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 04:21 PM

5,640 posts, read 5,057,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
"Portugal's parliament has passed a law to legalise same-sex marriage, but rejected proposals to allow homosexual couples to adopt."

BBC News - Same-sex marriage law backed in Portugal's parliament

It's interesting that in some countries, same-sex couples are being given legal recognition, but are being denied a right to adopt children. I wonder why that concept hasn't gotten any traction in the U.S.

Finally, we agree! The US needs to prohibit gay couples from adopting, and the sooner the better! The story about Elton John wanting to adopt a small boy made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,405,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Finally, we agree! The US needs to prohibit gay couples from adopting, and the sooner the better! The story about Elton John wanting to adopt a small boy made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Why would anything on you stand up? Were you aroused?

And what business is it of yours who Elton John or anybody else adopts?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM

981 posts, read 801,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don't think AUM was endorsing the concept, just calling attention to it.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:34 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,019,333 times
If we must have legal hetero marriage then I am for same-sex marriage as well. However, I think a better option would be to call the legal aspect of marriage a "civil union" for homo- and hetero- marriages, and keep the term "marriage" out of the government completely.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,748,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If we must have legal hetero marriage then I am for same-sex marriage as well. However, I think a better option would be to call the legal aspect of marriage a "civil union" for homo- and hetero- marriages, and keep the term "marriage" out of the government completely.
I like that idea.
The term marriage doesn't have a lot of special meaning for me and I like the sound of civil union better. It's more befitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies