U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM

3,853 posts, read 4,050,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Thanks for clearing that up.

So is your reasoning behind posting all the cost factors in response to the overuse of sentencing people to LWOP for non-capital crimes?

I still say, though, that if a jury feels a person's capital crimes dictate a LWOP sentence, we should in fact carry out that sentence. Releasing them early simply based on age factors defeats the purpose of the sentence. Do you agree?
Your question 1: Yes, cost factors for LWOP for non-capital crimes.

Your question 2: I don't think the article I posted suggested that inmates are released ONLY because of age factors. Age is ONE factor to consider when looking at releasing an inmate.

Btw, jurors sometimes change their minds after they have convicted someone. Additionally, in Florida it is NOT THE JURY who determines the sentence in death cases. The Judges determine whether to sentence someone who has been convicted to death or to life. Actually, I don't think jurors determine what a sentence is in any criminal case. I believe sentencing is left up to Judges. Maybe it's just Florida; however, I am aware that during a trial the attorneys are not supposed to bring up the issue of what the sentence will be.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 02:14 PM

77,804 posts, read 97,825,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
I've always felt that the death penalty was a good thing, but recently, after doing some reading and hearing people talk about it, I might be on the verge of changing my mind.

The reason why Im having a change of heart is because I can not stand the fact that our justice system is not perfect when it comes to sending people to their death. I mean, I've read and heard many stories about people being executed when they really shouln't have because they didnt commit the crime.

So my question to you is, are you OK with the small about of innocent people being executed in error? I mean, if there are 1000 death penalties carried out and only 1 of them is truly innocent? Does that sit will with you? Do you find this acceptable?
I think we need to hault all executions until the system is proven infallible.
No one is alright with seeing any innocent person put to death and yes, this can happen, but look at the other side, guilty men and women, get out of prison and go on to kill again. This is much more common that the innocent person who is executed. With today's science, DNA etc, the chances are slim to none a person would ever be executed for a murder they did not commit.

Nita

Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM

7,545 posts, read 7,979,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Your question 1: Yes, cost factors for LWOP for non-capital crimes.

Your question 2: I don't think the article I posted suggested that inmates are released ONLY because of age factors. Age is ONE factor to consider when looking at releasing an inmate.

Btw, jurors sometimes change their minds after they have convicted someone. Additionally, in Florida it is NOT THE JURY who determines the sentence in death cases. The Judges determine whether to sentence someone who has been convicted to death or to life. Actually, I don't think jurors determine what a sentence is in any criminal case. I believe sentencing is left up to Judges. Maybe it's just Florida; however, I am aware that during a trial the attorneys are not supposed to bring up the issue of what the sentence will be.
Gotcha. I thought that jurors made sentencing recommendation and then the judge decided on the ultimate sentence. That is out of my realm of knowledge however.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No one is alright with seeing any innocent person put to death and yes, this can happen, but look at the other side, guilty men and women, get out of prison and go on to kill again. This is much more common that the innocent person who is executed. With today's science, DNA etc, the chances are slim to none a person would ever be executed for a murder they did not commit.

Nita
"slim to none".... not true. Seems to me that the general public out there believes that every single death case has DNA evidence in it and that that DNA evidence makes all the difference in every case. NOT TRUE. There are many cases which do not involve DNA at all. Example. Someone is shot and killed by a person from a distance. No DNA!

Those CSI programs on TV are "good" sometimes for the defence side in a courtroom, but not really very accurate in terms of the impression that such extensive technology available to the forensics folks.

Plus, I think the initial question in this thread was do you think it is okay to execute even one innocent person?

"Media and Criminal Justice: The CSI Effect," is a new book by Dennis J. Stevens, illustrating how television programs and media coverage affect public perception of criminal justice. The author, who teaches at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and Belmont Abbey College, maintains that television shows like "CSI" can give the false impression that all crimes are easily solved through advanced forensic science. The author also addresses the problem of wrongful convictions, particularly in cases involving the death penalty. He notes that the money spent on the death penalty with all its problems could be used for more effective means of fighting crime. The book is designed for educational use."

Death Penalty Information Center

Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Gotcha. I thought that jurors made sentencing recommendation and then the judge decided on the ultimate sentence. That is out of my realm of knowledge however.
In DEATH cases, yes, the jury does make a recommendation, after hearing evidence in the penalty phase. RECOMMENDATION. The Judge can disregard that recommendation and impose the sentence that Judge sees fit. The Judge is not bound to do what the jury recommends......

In cases other than death, I don't believe the jury has any say in sentencing.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM

5,495 posts, read 4,732,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Human rights issue.
Meh! If someone has committed an act so heinous as to be imprisioned until death, they've given up all entitlement to any human rights and deserve no compassion. I could easily look someone like that in the eye and say "Sorry... no soup for you!"

Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Meh! If someone has committed an act so heinous as to be imprisioned until death, they've given up all entitlement to any human rights and deserve no compassion. I could easily look someone like that in the eye and say "Sorry... no soup for you!"
Human rights are not about THEM. They're about US, you and me and all of us.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,186,823 times
Quote:
My only purpose was to show you that inmates with sentences of LWOP can be released from prison. Your justification against the death penalty was "Hey, just give them LWOP", and I would be in agreement with you if it were not for the fact that some of them are released back into society.
The fact that criminals can get out without parole has nothing to do with the death penalty. The fact that the governor can pardon criminals is a completely separate issue. The death penalty as a means to prevent governors from their own incompetence is not a real justification for the death penalty. It can be easily ensured that a criminal can be in jail for life without the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies