U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:44 AM

63 posts, read 34,455 times

Advertisements

I've always felt that the death penalty was a good thing, but recently, after doing some reading and hearing people talk about it, I might be on the verge of changing my mind.

The reason why Im having a change of heart is because I can not stand the fact that our justice system is not perfect when it comes to sending people to their death. I mean, I've read and heard many stories about people being executed when they really shouln't have because they didnt commit the crime.

So my question to you is, are you OK with the small about of innocent people being executed in error? I mean, if there are 1000 death penalties carried out and only 1 of them is truly innocent? Does that sit will with you? Do you find this acceptable?
I think we need to hault all executions until the system is proven infallible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:47 AM

994 posts, read 1,617,540 times
I see no point in executing anyone. Their death does not change the fact that their crime has already been committed. Their death will not bring back a loved one that they may have killed. I also don't like the fact my taxes pay for prisons. I don't believe sending people to prison for extended amount of time works. Do I have the answer as to what works? No ..but I don't think our current system is working.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

10,662 posts, read 15,145,819 times
Being 100% for the death penalty, I'm questioning the validity of it the last few years with DNA testing.

I would still be 100% for it as long as DNA testing has been done and there's absolutely no doubt.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:48 AM

11,552 posts, read 13,318,653 times
If they are without a doubt guilty, I see no problem killing these people.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Being 100% for the death penalty, I'm questioning the validity of it the last few years with DNA testing.

I would still be 100% for it as long as DNA testing has been done and there's absolutely no doubt.

I agree. It is since DNA has been brought into the picture that I'm having this change of heart.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:50 AM

13,815 posts, read 28,268,993 times
I agree. Get rid of all the penalties because there is always an error somewhere.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I see no point in executing anyone. Their death does not change the fact that their crime has already been committed. Their death will not bring back a loved one that they may have killed. I also don't like the fact my taxes pay for prisons. I don't believe sending people to prison for extended amount of time works. Do I have the answer as to what works? No ..but I don't think our current system is working.
I agree with you on some of your ideas, but we have to do something about criminals. I mean, im sure you'll agree that we just cant let the go free.
And yes, i think our system is broken. i.e. O.J

Old 01-09-2010, 10:53 AM

34,968 posts, read 37,603,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
I've always felt that the death penalty was a good thing, but recently, after doing some reading and hearing people talk about it, I might be on the verge of changing my mind.

The reason why Im having a change of heart is because I can not stand the fact that our justice system is not perfect when it comes to sending people to their death. I mean, I've read and heard many stories about people being executed when they really shouln't have because they didnt commit the crime.

So my question to you is, are you OK with the small about of innocent people being executed in error? I mean, if there are 1000 death penalties carried out and only 1 of them is truly innocent? Does that sit will with you? Do you find this acceptable?
I think we need to hault all executions until the system is proven infallible.
I dont see why DNA testing still isnt as easily available as a pregnancy test, just about.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,735,177 times
Some crimes are so heinous, the perpetrators so evil, they demand the death penalty. Being the ultimate penalty the death penalty also demands 100% certainty in the guilt of the convicted. Once established, however, fry the bastards!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Being the ultimate penalty the death penalty also demands 100% certainty in the guilt of the convicted.
NOTHING is 100% certain when a someone is sentenced to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies