Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:55 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

What can a union do for me? Hmmm, back when I was forced to belong to a union, they tried to play hard ball with my employer. What they did accomplish was to get a zero tolerance policy put in place that cost a dear friend of mine his career. Yep, under zero tolerance, he was FIRED for being late to work three times for a TOTAL of 11 minutes!!!

Oh yeah, the union looked out for us. Yep, especially that time we were on a stupid picket line for weeks in the sweltering, summer heat for a chance at strike pay while the union leaders were at the local steakhouse wining and dining as they reviewed the settlement offers. The only way we found out was that one of our co-workers moonlighted as a waitress and was fortunate enough to serve them!

I'd rather save my hard-earned wages that unions want to take in dues and keep my career in a non-union company. I like to let my hard work and dedication pave the way for continued employment. Amazing how both my DW and I have jobs with decent salary, raises & bonuses, benefits, vacations, pension, 401K w/match,etc., all without a union.

And there's no way I'd ever want to change it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
I was always able to negotiate with my employer myself based on my work performance and skill sets. Now that I am self employed, maybe I should set myself up as a w2 employee, unionize against the owner (me) and demand higher wages for myself. I wonder if that would work out better from a taxation standpoint lol. If you present a case to your employer, they tend to take resonably good care of you provided you are taking good care of them. Employers are not an enemy.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM

817 posts, read 853,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Here we go again. The same conservatives - conservatives whose views I share on many other issues - all chiming in here with the same misguided Hannity approved viewpoint. A viewpoint which advocates the continued destruction of the US quality of life we once collectively enjoyed. The continued destruction of the US marketplace by the funneling of vast amounts of wealth overseas and to an elite few in this country.

You people can't see the forest for the trees. You can't see that we would never have come close to the life quality that became the envy of the world without the basic strength in numbers that is organized labor. That is what built the middle class and, going forward, that basic strength in numbers is the only hope left for saving it. It is fast dying, folks - have you noticed?

The pie-in-the-sky viewpoint you cling to would make a lot more sense in a world of Utopian fairness. But our world today is anything but. Big business continues to rape and pillage this nation simply because people like you make it so easy. And, in doing so, you boost the odds against the brightness of your own future. Your myopia is a catalyst for the gradual destruction of your city and your neighborhood.
Get an education, work your tail off, be successful. Period.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 PM

817 posts, read 853,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
What can a union do for me? Hmmm, back when I was forced to belong to a union, they tried to play hard ball with my employer. What they did accomplish was to get a zero tolerance policy put in place that cost a dear friend of mine his career. Yep, under zero tolerance, he was FIRED for being late to work three times for a TOTAL of 11 minutes!!!

Oh yeah, the union looked out for us. Yep, especially that time we were on a stupid picket line for weeks in the sweltering, summer heat for a chance at strike pay while the union leaders were at the local steakhouse wining and dining as they reviewed the settlement offers. The only way we found out was that one of our co-workers moonlighted as a waitress and was fortunate enough to serve them!

I'd rather save my hard-earned wages that unions want to take in dues and keep my career in a non-union company. I like to let my hard work and dedication pave the way for continued employment. Amazing how both my DW and I have jobs with decent salary, raises & bonuses, benefits, vacations, pension, 401K w/match,etc., all without a union.

And there's no way I'd ever want to change it!
Unions are parasites.
When I worked in automotive manufacturing one of our plants voted in the U.A.W. and they ended up with lower pay and less benefits. They all regretted ever voting in those parasites.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Depends on the industry. When I was flying for the airlines, I wouldn't have been caught dead in the job without a union. The airline would work you to the absolute legal limits if allowed, and used to, which is anything but safe. Our union worked hard to get halfway bearable work rules put in place. There are many other things the union did to promote safety over profit. So yes, it did cost the company more, but yes, safety trumps $$$.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Too all the people who sit and complain about unions, how do you feel about corporations taking advantage of their workers?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:07 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Too all the people who sit and complain about unions, how do you feel about corporations taking advantage of their workers?
Tell use EXACTLY how are these "corporations" taking advantage of their workers??

Old 02-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Tell use EXACTLY how are these "corporations" taking advantage of their workers??
I worked at Burger King for four years during high school and some college. I would work 8 to 9 hours shifts. I would not even get 15 minutes to sit down. When I asked, they would say "you are an adult now. We dont have to give you a break or anything". When I was a minor, same thing.

I said "I work here with all this food and you are saying I cannot eat anything?".

Sometimes they would not even let me drink water. Do you know how hot it got in the kitchen? All they wanted was for me to cook cook cook and ring ring ring.

Dont even act like *Some* (not all) corporations dont take advantage of their workers. It is a undeniable FACT.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I worked at Burger King for four years during high school and some college. I would work 8 to 9 hours shifts. I would not even get 15 minutes to sit down. When I asked, they would say "you are an adult now. We dont have to give you a break or anything". When I was a minor, same thing.

I said "I work here with all this food and you are saying I cannot eat anything?".

Sometimes they would not even let me drink water. Do you know how hot it got in the kitchen? All they wanted was for me to cook cook cook and ring ring ring.

Dont even act like *Some* (not all) corporations dont take advantage of their workers. It is a undeniable FACT.
Well you really should have looked up the wages and hours laws as its clearly covered.If you had filed a complaint they are pretty strict.But I am sure your experience was bad but i also know employeees that cheat and stole form their employers which proves their are bad people in this work.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well you really should have looked up the wages and hours laws as its clearly covered.If you had filed a complaint they are pretty strict.But I am sure your experience was bad but i also know employeees that cheat and stole form their employers which proves their are bad people in this work.
I was 15 and afraid of getting in trouble. Even when I was 18, I was afraid of losing the job if I filed a complaint.

It sucked. I wish I did now.

No doubt. There are bad workers as there are employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies