Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times

Advertisements

A widow with dependent children can get Social Security benefits for the children and in addition, she can also get a benefit for herself, over and above what she gets for the children. My DIL's mother was drawing about $1000 a month for herself (we called it her "babysitting money") after her husband died. This money stopped when the last child reached the age of 16. I didn't mind the benefits for the children but to pay her for taking care of her own children stuck in my throat.

No wonder Social Security is broke.

ETA: I might add that she received a very handsome settlement (after about 5 years) for her husband's on-the-job accidental death so after that time she was far from "indigent". Nevertheless, the Social Security benefits continued until they ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's impossible to comment intelligently on this until you can explain what you're talking about.

What is this "pension" these people are supposedly getting? Who is paying it? What is the authority for them to receive it? If it is part of some government program, what is the program and what are its regulations and eligibility requirements?
These was my first questions, too. The OP said "pensions" but the government to the best of my knowledge doesn't give out pensions unless you were a federal worker or was married to one who died. Social Security, I think, pays out a little bit to a surviving spouse if the deceased person has worked and paid into the system. Doesn't seem right that people who are not citizens should be able to draw S.S.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I don't get this original post? This doesn't make sense considering the following.

When I went to SS to check on my near future retirement benefits, out of curiosity I also inquired about SSI as I had recently had a serious heart operation. I was told I wasn't eligible as I hadn't substantially worked in the past ten years (while I was getting my degree and taking care of my elderly disabled mother) despite a long career previous to that which qualified me for regular SS.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
How does an illegal sponsor anyone?

You appear to equate non-citizenship with illegal status, that's rather bizarre.
The current illegal aliens, who would through the passage of CIR ASAP, become legal residents. Once legalized, they would be eligible to sponsor their children and parents in accordance with the family reunification provision.

Do you support foreigners receiving these benefits?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM

270 posts, read 655,822 times
Don't worry, rather than cut these people off welfare, they will just raise your taxes.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
And I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a valid SSN# to get anything from Social Security, which I'd find hard to believe that a non-citizen would have, unless it was stolen.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I don't believe the so-called "pension" is from the United States Government.

I believe it is from their Native Country

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't believe the so-called "pension" is from the United States Government.

I believe it is from their Native Country
It isn’t a pension plan. Click the link I posted, and you will see how foreigners are receiving these benefits.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So I have been hearing this a lot lately.

I know my dads friends parents came from India ten years ago. They are both seniors. None of them have worked a DAY in their lives in the USA but they get 500 or so dollars a month as "pension".

My friends grandma also receives 450 "pension" a month. Has she worked a DAY of her life in the US? Came from India around 4 years ago. NOPE! She does not even know English. HOW ABOUT THAT?

What type of a STUPID rule or law is this? I want it repealed right now!
Is it a pension or social security? Did they pay US taxes for working for the US in India?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It isn’t a pension plan. Click the link I posted, and you will see how foreigners are receiving these benefits.
Thanks a bunch for the link. VERY informative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies