Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:22 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times

Advertisements

How many people who do not deserve pension still getting it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 05:53 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
It's impossible to comment intelligently on this until you can explain what you're talking about.

What is this "pension" these people are supposedly getting? Who is paying it? What is the authority for them to receive it? If it is part of some government program, what is the program and what are its regulations and eligibility requirements?
Obviously SSI.

Take this test from SS Social Security Online - Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool (BEST)

I answered I was 64, my wife was 62, been married once, entered the country legally (not citizens), lived here 11 years, neither of us ever worked a day in our lives and never paid one red cent in income taxes. We have $800 in savings.

And it is cool, we would both receive benefits!

Quote:
Benefit Results
Based on the information you gave, you could get the benefits listed below now or later in addition to any benefits you’re already getting. These results are based on the answers you entered (http://www.benefits.gov/ssa/validateQuestionnaire#answers - broken link) below. WARNING! You cannot come back to this page once you leave it, so for your own records, print or save this page before you leave it or use any of the helpful links below.
and

Quote:
Social Security Spouse's Insurance Benefits [Hide Details]
To be eligible for Social Security spouse's benefits, you must:
  • Be married for at least one year to someone who receives Social Security retirement or disability benefits;
  • Be at least 62 years old or caring for a child (under age 16 or disabled) of the retired or disabled worker; and
  • Not be getting a higher Social Security retirement benefit based on your own work.
Based on the other information you gave, you could get Social Security spouse's benefits whenever your spouse begins to receive benefits if you are not getting a higher benefit on your own work record.
Is this a great country or what?

From here

Quote:
SSI, or supplemental security income, is a needs-based program. For those who have never worked, or those whose earnings in recent years have been low enough to result in a small Social Security benefit, or no benefit at all, SSI may be the only program they qualify for.

For those applicants whose social security disability benefit would be low, ssi does exactly what its name implies. It supplements.

For example, if an approved claimant received title II (aka ssd, rsdi) monthly benefits in the amount of $385.00, an ssi award could be used to guarantee that the claimant's total monthly benefits were equal to a certain minimum amount.

What is that minimum amount? The minimum is equal to the full monthly benefit amount for ssi, which is currently $623.00 per month.
Wow, and my wife would get money too! How cool is that?

$1,000/month and we never paid it. American taxpayers are suckers!

On top of this we get housing vouchers and food stamps!

We love America!

Based on these answers if I moved back to Guatemala would social security send my checks to me?

And you are wondering why we're so screwed!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So I have been hearing this a lot lately.

I know my dads friends parents came from India ten years ago. They are both seniors. None of them have worked a DAY in their lives in the USA but they get 500 or so dollars a month as "pension".

My friends grandma also receives 450 "pension" a month. Has she worked a DAY of her life in the US? Came from India around 4 years ago. NOPE! She does not even know English. HOW ABOUT THAT?

What type of a STUPID rule or law is this? I want it repealed right now!
Go to the Social Security Administration site and look up SSI.

The program has been scammed for years.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
What does being a liberal have to do with it?

It is common sense. What the hell? I wanna stop working right now and go to India and come back in 50 years (I am 21) and just get money doing nothing. Awesome!

Why even go to college for my teaching degree? I just wanna get old and wrinkly and get my free money! $$$$$$$$$$$$

Edit-your mom needs to go kick the federal governments ass. My aunt in Canada was pissed because she came to Canada like 40 years ago when she was 20. Worked here and is now near retirement. When she retires, can you guess how much she will get? Like 450 a month. The FOREIGNERS? They get a good cushy 750! I know it is Canada but we are pretty similar with them in a way if you know what I mean.

Oh and same with my grandparents. My grandma does not know a WORD of English. Oh. But she knows when her checks come in. What a load of ****!
Being a liberal has everything to do with it. I told you to look up SSI. Do it and then do some research on how the left screems when ever fixing Social Security is mentioned.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Total BS I took the test using phony parameters and got this:
Quote:
No Results
Based on the information you gave, you cannot get any benefits at this time. The following are the most common reasons why someone would not be eligible for the benefits listed.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
And I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a valid SSN# to get anything from Social Security, which I'd find hard to believe that a non-citizen would have, unless it was stolen.
OK, here is how it works.

A person (married couple) comes here legally. after they have been here a short while the apply to be sponsors for their parents. They will provide for them.

The parents come here and move in.

After a short while the parents go down to the Social Security Office and apply for SSI, saying the children will no longer provide for them just to qualify for the SSI payments.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That is why when President Richard Nixon proposed it, it was entitled, Supplemental Security Income.

Oh, goodness what a horrible idea!

A little history, the ugly reality is that Social Security as originally proposed was welfare for the elderly, not a retirement plan. Social Security just seemed like a nicer way of saying it. As for SSi, well it is kind of hard for the disabled to pay into the system when the by definition, disabled implies the inability to work.

So what do you suggest should happen to folks who have never been able to work due to a medical or physical problem - strike that, I really don't want to know.

Now we are getting at the gist of the problem.

Unless of course you are trying to pay for special education for a disable child so that their disability can be somewhat mitigated so that they aren't a total financial burden on their family or society.

PS - please don't tell me that you are one of those right to life folks.

What is unbelievable is that you haven't stormed into the local Social Security office and filled out an affidavit swearing that all these people you know are cheating the system!

I'm getting the distinct feeling that If every person who writes about someone they personally know who is cheating the government out of money were reported to the appropriate authorities we would have enough to pay for social security and a hefty down payment on the national debt.
And before that it was the Widows and Orphan Fund. It would pay widows who lost their husbands, to help with their children's expenses. In those days most wives didn't work outside the home.

The SSI program has been scammed for years. read my other posts on this thread.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't believe the so-called "pension" is from the United States Government.

I believe it is from their Native Country
I have a friend who moved here from a Scandinavian Country, and he is receiving pension payments from that Country. That could be the case here as well.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:24 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
OK, here is how it works.

A person (married couple) comes here legally. after they have been here a short while the apply to be sponsors for their parents. They will provide for them.

The parents come here and move in.

After a short while the parents go down to the Social Security Office and apply for SSI, saying the children will no longer provide for them just to qualify for the SSI payments.
Yes. I am Indian and see so many immigrant Indian families do this. My grandparents a prime example of this for my uncle in Canada.

I tell them all the time that it is not fair but they say if Canada gives it to them, why not?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:34 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If we were LIBERAL we would have single payer national health care and your mom and 4 children would not have been wiped out by medical bills because most of them would have been paid.

Correct!

The 15% GST and inflated prices of everything due to all sorts of hidden taxes would have eliminated any savings in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies