Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The current illegal aliens, who would through the passage of CIR ASAP, become legal residents. Once legalized, they would be eligible to sponsor their children and parents in accordance with the family reunification provision.
Oh, so your argument is hypothetical and and misleading as opposed to being factual. Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Do you support foreigners receiving these benefits?
Do I support foreigners receiving these benefits?

I suppose it all depends upon how one defines "foreigners" or "benefits" and from what I have read so far, definitions are in short supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,281,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
AHAD is clearly one group of people the system is designed for, so your post is rather confusing.
Social security was not originally setup for people that were disabled.It was set up to be like a savings plan until you retire. At that point, you started to collect what you paid into it. The SS program has just about been ruined by politicians who thought it would be nice to help the disabled. Fine idea if the recipient had paid some into it, but a lot haven't and this is where the problem comes in. The system is just about broke and I wonder if there will be any money when it's my turn. Giving 4 yr olds SS disability is asinine and should be stopped. I know of 6 people that are quite capable of working, but are lazy and decided to cheat the system. It's no wonder they're broke.
Unbelievable!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:33 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Oh, so your argument is hypothetical and not factual. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do I support foreigners receiving these benefits?

I suppose it all depends upon how one defines "foreigners" or "benefits" and from what I have read so far, definitions are in short supply.
Yes, hypothetical in that amnesty has not been granted. However, many foreigners (non-citizens of the U.S.) do indeed receive said benefits (SSI), as indicated in the link I posted.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
AW jeez this is a semantics cluster****: you people are arguing 'pensions' v. 'social security' v. SSI....

Can everyone please get on the SAME PAGE(s) here please?! sheesh.

Here:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/te...anding-ssi.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/te...efits-ussi.htm

Answer

Old 01-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Social security was not originally setup for people that were disabled.
That is why when President Richard Nixon proposed it, it was entitled, Supplemental Security Income.

Quote:
The SS program has just about been ruined by politicians who thought it would be nice to help the disabled.
Oh, goodness what a horrible idea!

Quote:
Fine idea if the recipient had paid some into it, but a lot haven't and this is where the problem comes in.
A little history, the ugly reality is that Social Security as originally proposed was welfare for the elderly, not a retirement plan. Social Security just seemed like a nicer way of saying it. As for SSi, well it is kind of hard for the disabled to pay into the system when the by definition, disabled implies the inability to work.

So what do you suggest should happen to folks who have never been able to work due to a medical or physical problem - strike that, I really don't want to know.

Quote:
The system is just about broke and I wonder if there will be any money when it's my turn.
Now we are getting at the gist of the problem.

Quote:
Giving 4 yr olds SS disability is asinine
Unless of course you are trying to pay for special education for a disable child so that their disability can be somewhat mitigated so that they aren't a total financial burden on their family or society.

PS - please don't tell me that you are one of those right to life folks.

Quote:
I know of 6 people that are quite capable of working, but are lazy and decided to cheat the system. It's no wonder they're broke.
Unbelievable!

What is unbelievable is that you haven't stormed into the local Social Security office and filled out an affidavit swearing that all these people you know are cheating the system!

I'm getting the distinct feeling that If every person who writes about someone they personally know who is cheating the government out of money were reported to the appropriate authorities we would have enough to pay for social security and a hefty down payment on the national debt.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, hypothetical in that amnesty has not been granted.

A long ways from your original post about illegal aliens, don't you think?

Quote:
However, many foreigners (non-citizens of the U.S.) do indeed receive said benefits (SSI), as indicated in the link I posted.
Indeed they do, and depending on why an individual does or does not receive benefits is hardly worthy of discussion in this forum, unless, someone can provide data regarding what benefits these ""many" receive and under what circumstances they receive them, because judging from the wild, misleading and marginally truthful statements made so far, any debate about the facts would be virtually impossible.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
A long ways from your original post about illegal aliens, don't you think?

Indeed they do, and depending on why an individual does or does not receive benefits is hardly worthy of discussion in this forum, unless, someone can provide data regarding what benefits these ""many" receive and under what circumstances they receive them, because judging from the wild, misleading and marginally truthful statements made so far, any debate about the facts would be virtually impossible.
I doubt your ‘issue’ is with anything I may or may not have said in my post. Rather, with my stance on illegal immigration, which you consider to be a mortal sin. Let’s keep it real.

I agree, it is hardly worthy of discussion. Have a good day.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
It's our massive liberal social programs and accompanying laws to support them, such as the one that has raised your own ire, that are crippling the nation. While liberal social programs are indeed good and noble in fundamental theory, in reality they almost invariably prove disastrous. Disabled war vets are kicked to the curb while junkies are subsidized, citizens go hungry while foreigners get paid for existing, blacks live in poverty because the welfare system punishes them for getting a job or if the father stays in the home. Our liberal social programs don't just wreak havoc here, they reach across oceans. Africans no longer farm because farmers can't compete with the free food we ship so Africa is in a permanent state of dependency that the Chinese are using to their advantage. Our good natured liberal charity is setting up an entire continent for decades or even centuries of indentured servitude. Sorry to be so long winded but that's just scratching the surface of what it has to do with being liberal.

I was pretty liberal when I was 21 too. But that was 30 years ago.
I echo everything you wrote. Excellent points! It is the liberal agenda that has pushed for programs such as this that allow foreigners to take advantage of our system.

TLV, you remind me a lot of myself at age 21 too. I feel that you are a fiscal conseravtive at heart, you just have yet to realize it. You know, you CAN be a conservative and still have socially liberal views with regards to abortion, environment, and gay rights. I'm pretty liberal in those regards as well.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would rather my tax money went to somebody’s grandmother than providing a subsidy for a monopolist oil or defense contractors. The problem with our increasingly system is the money is used to support the already wealthy that hoard their receipts instead of the poor people that spend every dime they receive. There is zero economic multiplier associated with hoarding.
So, an elderly person has enough money to justify packing up their things and moving to another country... then suddenly, they don't know what they are going to do without government supported income?

My response is simply... "then don't come here, or if you do, be able to provide for yourself".

Its the "compassionate" mentality of your posts that completely ignores rational thought that astounds me. It isn't cheap to move to another country and go through the immigration procedures. If they can afford that, then they can afford sustaining themselves.

THAT is logical. Not some relativity non-sense about war and monopolies.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I doubt your ‘issue’ is with anything I may or may not have said in my post.
Quite the contrary.

Quote:
Rather, with my stance on illegal immigration, which you consider to be a mortal sin. Let’s keep it real.
A good place to start "keeping it real" would be for you demonstrate your knowledge of my opinions regarding illegal immigration. For example, perhaps you could outline my reasoning for requiring non-resident aliens to proof their ability to support additional family members before those immediate family members are granted entry visas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies