Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
These right wingers don't seem to understand the premise of the OP. Let me break it down for you.

You call Reid a racist for making comments that you agree with. What does that make you. If Reid was a Republican making the same comments, you'd be defending him. What does it matter if Limbaugh is a politician or not, you agree with him when he calls Obama a "Magic Negro" yet act offended at the word "Negro" when Reid uses it. Hypocritical liars is what they are.

Excellent points here!

The right wingers are okay with racist comments from their own kind. They will even defend these remarks by saying, "they are not elected," they don't work for so-and-so," etc.... and on and on...........

Steele made an extremely racist comment regarding our Native Americans. Where is the outrage about this? Where are the demands that Steele should resign? Nothing.....Nada! Why? Because, for the right wingers, it is not the comment but who made the comment that counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
In case some of you are not aware of this fact, blacks have not been referred to as "negro" since........I dunno slightly past the reconstruction era. So tell me why in the hell would a man who has been around for years and is fully aware of the american (allegely)politically correct system would even make the comment. you can't tell me that he did not know either
Why would Steele use a very derogatory term for Native American on Fox News? So derogatory that the term will be asterisked out on this forum.
So tell me why in the hell would a man who has been around for years and is fully aware of the american (allegely)politically correct system would even make the comment. you can't tell me that he did not know either.

Steele then has the balls to ask for Reid's resignation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbBXoYpfbe0

Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
I'm not a person of color as you put it. I'm Black, African American, Negro, colored -- which ever you prefer. Your first statement was incorrect. Negro as a term did not go out after Reconstruction. The "order" (by date) goes Colored, Negro, Black and now African American.

Negro is not synonymous with that other pejorative N word. And honestly, as I"ve been Black all my life. I've never heard anyone even suggest that. Sorry, I don't know what "color" you are, but you are way off when trying to portray the Black experience.

Quote:
Uh, being a person of color for some time now and having numerous conversations with other physically simliar individuals, I beg the difference. I have never heard ANYONE refer to another person of color as "NEGRO" even jokingly. I guess that was milder substitute of what he really wanted to say

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Excellent points here!

The right wingers are okay with racist comments from their own kind. They will even defend these remarks by saying, "they are not elected," they don't work for so-and-so," etc.... and on and on...........

Steele made an extremely racist comment regarding our Native Americans. Where is the outrage about this? Where are the demands that Steele should resign? Nothing.....Nada! Why? Because, for the right wingers, it is not the comment but who made the comment that counts.
Steele = republican *****

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm not a person of color as you put it. I'm Black, African American, Negro, colored -- which ever you prefer. Your first statement was incorrect. Negro as a term did not go out after Reconstruction. The "order" (by date) goes Colored, Negro, Black and now African American.

Negro is not synonymous with that other pejorative N word. And honestly, as I"ve been Black all my life. I've never heard anyone even suggest that. Sorry, I don't know what "color" you are, but you are way off when trying to portray the Black experience.
As far as I'm concerned it did, b/c the acceptance of the term is STILL outdated regardless of the specific time that it was used regularly.
So tell me, how often are you referred to as a "negro"? This IS NO WAY even close to being the "BLACK EXPERIENCE" All that I know I would be offended if someone called me colored, negro or n*gg*r.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No no no, the CONTEXT of what he said is what is important here, since Reid is from the 'good 'party.:smack :. Context? Intent? "Oh, he was making a relevant observation about our society". BULL****!!! He got caught making a racially charged statement, and now it's about damage control. The shoe is on the other foot, and it don't make walkin' easy, do it?! Taste of ye own medecine leftycrats. Not quite so easy to swallow as it is to put in the spoon.
Like I said before, I really don't give a hootnanny who said what, my probelm is what he said and to whom As far as Rush (pillhead) is concerned I realize that he is not an elected offical and does not have to answer to the american people, but he is still held accountable for what he says on the airwaves as a represenative for the republican party. Mr Steele is also another matter, he is placed in the position that he is in only as a token for the republican party. To prove my point when he went against Rush (who is not an elected offical) and backed down with NO support from his republican ELECTED peers.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would Steele use a very derogatory term for Native American on Fox News? So derogatory that the term will be asterisked out on this forum.
So tell me why in the hell would a man who has been around for years and is fully aware of the american (allegely)politically correct system would even make the comment. you can't tell me that he did not know either.

Steele then has the balls to ask for Reid's resignation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbBXoYpfbe0
Steele is the "magical token republican negro", he is so stupid that he does not realize that he is being used!

My grandmother use to call people like him house _ _ _ _ _ _!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Now I'm really starting to understand why Colin Powell did not want to be the first black president. There is an abundant of racists in BOTH parties. That really does not suprise me b/c the overall majority of senators and congressmen are wealthy, meaning that most of them never had to deal with the common people (except during elections) which includes minorities and nor do they care (except election time)

Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Steele is the "magical token republican negro", he is so stupid that he does not realize that he is being used!

My grandmother use to call people like him house _ _ _ _ _ _!
Yeah that isnt racist at all ^

Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Uh, being a person of color for some time now and having numerous conversations with other physically simliar individuals, I beg the difference. I have never heard ANYONE refer to another person of color as "NEGRO" even jokingly. I guess that was milder substitute of what he really wanted to say
You're probably guessing wrong. "Negro" was always a term of respect and was the proper term through the 60's. "Black" was considered somewhat offensive at that time and switching from "Negro" to "Black" was awkward and uncomfortable for many people. While young people don't seem to know this, older people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies