Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:04 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times

Advertisements

When we were monkeys I'm sure we judged lions for our own safety. We judge mates because we want to have a good offspring. We judge the environment we are in because we wouldn't want to put ourselves in danger. We judge budgets, banks, jobs, cars, food and just about everything else in our lives. Not doing so would just be ridiculous.

Trying not to judge is like trying to lose the adventurous spirit that is in our genetics. I think the question should be is the judgment justified.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 01-12-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
It's impossible to not judgemental. It's basic human nature. Same with being selfish, for that matter.

The trick comes in not letting both become who you are.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Has anyone ever felt this way? Sure, its not politically correct. Its not nice. Its not even logical half the time because what right have we to judge people whom we don't know and having never walked in their shoes?
Nonetheless, sometimes I find it incredibly difficult to not judge certain people for the choices they make.
Let me tell you why: because you are nasty and cruel, something very common in the American society. India for example, has more poor the you can ever imagine, but most people do not judge them for being poor. Judging is a way to make you feel better about yourself and reassure how clever and "good" you and your choices were. You are superior to these folks...
Quote:
-High school dropouts that complain about few job opportunities: Sorry, what did you expect? That you can get a nice cushy corporate job without even knowing the capitals of each state in the united states?
What about collage graduates from expensive, prestigious schools, who cannot get jobs? Like my niece who went to the George W. University and was fired from her last job at a school in Philly. Now she is unemployed for 6+ months. Or my neighbors daughter from Amherst, who is now teaching English in China, cause she couldn't land a job locally. Yes, I would expect "that they can get a nice cushy corporate job by knowing the capitals of each state in the united states... since with a major in geography, she knows the capitals of each state. I guarantee that. Now how that fits into your "inferior" theory?

Last edited by oberon_1; 01-12-2010 at 09:29 AM..

1,595 posts, read 2,988,118 times
I'm with you 100% on this one SmerkyGrl.

The two situations that I see most often are the people here at work that complain about their weight but then proceed to drive, not walk, the 4/10 of a mile to the fast food restaurant for lunch.

The other is the crime "victims". I live in an area that isn't bad but does have some sketchy neighborhoods and individuals. Nearly everday I read or hear that "thieves enter house through unlocked back door" or "car left running with keys in ignition stolen outside convenience store" or man walking alone at 3:00 AM is mugged, wallet with $500 cash taken".

Now I realize in an ideal world anybody should be able to walk anywhere, anytime and we should never need to lock our doors and blah, blah, blah.
But guess what? The world is less than perfect. Individual responsibility and that uncommon common sense must come into play at some point.

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Has anyone ever felt this way? Sure, its not politically correct. Its not nice. Its not even logical half the time because what right have we to judge people whom we don't know and having never walked in their shoes?

Nonetheless, sometimes I find it incredibly difficult to not judge certain people for the choices they make. For instance:

-High school dropouts that complain about few job opportunities: Sorry, what did you expect? That you can get a nice cushy corporate job without even knowing the capitals of each state in the united states? You moan and complain about how hard life is and wah wah wah no money, no glory, no respect--ever thought that it was your lack of education that put you where you are now? A GED isn't hard to get nowadays and community colleges are everywhere. Get an effin' education.

-Welfare moms that can't seem to stop having children: Ever heard of birth control? Or god forbid, closing your legs? Accidents happen. That's understandable. But how do you have 4-5 accidents when your don't even make enough money to raise your first one? You leech off of my tax money and are a burden to society. I have no pity for when you can't pay the rent---I only pity your children for being born to such an irresponsible parent.

-Prissy "its all about me divas" who can't get a man: I have a message for you sister --its not them. It IS you. I have a coworker who blatantly proclaimed, "When I get married, I'm definitely going to be a bridezilla". Who on earth is going to want to marry that? No wonder she's still single. Having a vagina does not mean that you are special in any way, shape, or form. Plenty of women have vaginas and are more than happy to act reasonable around the eligible bachelors single women vie for. If you think being female is the only thing you can bring to the table, you have many years of being single to come.

Am I wrong? Wait--rephrase, of course its wrong to feel this way---but are there any kindred spirits out there that can empathize feeling negative towards persons/situations that seem to be protected by the "political correct" cocoon?

Meh, let the flames begin.
Abstinence is best?
As long as there are horny people, there's a consequence for it.
so, smerky girl, quit wearing all of that makeup and those short mini-skirts designed to attract devils like myself.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
There is a difference between judging an action and that of a person.

A person who may steal is not being judged as the person, rather they are being judged by the action. As long as they associate with that action, it will seem as if they are being judged, but this would not be the case when judging the action.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I don't see the problem in judging people because of their own willingly stupid decisions. There is no reason to pat some one on the back for something that is detrimental to many things, including themselves, as people crow how it is everyones fault but their own.

One person I knew in particular really strikes me as making all the foolish decisions, and never once looking at herself as the cause of any of them. She dropped out of high school because she felt she didn't need it, now works at a book store for minimum wage that her parents own. She crows loudly how she can't get a better job because she doesn't have a HS diploma, but refuses all offers of people she knows to tutor her (or sponsor her) and help. These people change pretty rapidly because if something happens she doesn't like, she throws a tantrum of meltdown proportion (then complains no one will be near her).

I have no problem not being judgmental to something that is no fault of their own. Even if the action is one that a person knows or learns that it wasn't a smart idea, it's all okay (we are all here to learn). The problem is when some one does it repeatedly and knows the ending, and just keeps doing it. I use the same logic in my own life, and giving a helping hand to those who are working on improving their own situation.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Let me tell you why: because you are nasty and cruel, something very common in the American society. India for example, has more poor the you can ever imagine, but most people do not judge them for being poor. Judging them is a way to make you feel better about yourself and reassure how clever and "good" you and your choices were. You are superior to these folks...

What about collage graduates from expensive, prestigious schools, who cannot get jobs? Like my niece who went to the George W. University and was fired from her last job at a school in Philly. Now she is unemployed for 6+ months. Or my neighbors daughter from Amherst, who is now teaching English in China, cause she couldn't land a job locally. Yes, I would expect "that they can get a nice cushy corporate job by knowing the capitals of each state in the united states...
With a major in geography, she knows the capitals of each state. I guarantee that. Now how that fits into your "inferior" theory?
One twisted thing in our American ideology is that only the "superior", bright or extremely well prepared people have a right to work for a livable wage. The others should ...perish, dissapear, or go to hell. But the funny thing is that by nature, the "other half" are the majority in society. Only a limited number can be "the best". With a depressed majority, history tells us that bad things happen. It does not matter if the GDP grows and the real estate soars, and we hug each other with joy after a good day on wall str. Jobs, should be available for all, not a "prize for the brightest".
the prize should go to those that apply themselves.
lots of other avenues besides university for that goal. however dumping 21 million of illegal cheap labor from mexico on us, which is what our government and business have colluded to do, does not help. the culture of disrespect and anti work ethic also needs healing. there is a serious erosion of worker values in last 50 years. "you owe me you owe me" "its my right' is a tune that has got an ugly sound to it, that has been sung since the 60's. im ready to move on-- how bout you?

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-12-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Those who matter don't judge, those who judge don't matter...

Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
This is hilarious. The very people who are debating the act of judging others spend all day on this forum doing just that....judging others. Yet when the OP discusses this issue directly, in order to contradict the OP, they start discussing the ethical and moral dilemma of judging others. LOL Classic This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies