Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times

Advertisements

Well first all let's dimsiss the troll thread title. I don't think anyone has called the government evil.

By bailing out Wall Street and Detroit the government has created moral hazzard. There is nothing that will make these two industries act responsibly now. They know the can continue to do pretty much what has caused the problems in the first place with no adverse consequence , the government will bail them out. Bailing them out prevents limited resources from going to where they would be used more efficiently, thus new jobs and industries will not be created. This is unsustainable. Those jobs you are worried about have been saved for the short run, not the long run. There is a reason buggy whips are no longer made. Had this current government been around at the turn of the century perhaps we would still have a vibrant buggy whip industry but at what cost to the rest of the economy?

OK know nothings, fire away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,464,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Those are two different sectors. The financial sector bailout was fine with me. You can't let the capital of the country flush down the toilet. You can allow other companies to buy production equipment and facilities so they can get a chance to succeed where the other failed horribly. The option you seem to be advocating is buying our way into an impossible to avoid correction.

By the way you can cut the crap with your partisan hackery.
Oh I see, so government intervention is fine on one hand but not the other.

The option I am advocating is not allowing this country to go down the friggin' toilet. "Interwoven" was probably one of the few accurate things that ever came out of Bush's mouth.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well first all let's dimsiss the troll thread title. I don't think anyone has called the government evil.

By bailing out Wall Street and Detroit the government has created moral hazzard. There is nothing that will make these two industries act responsibly now. They know the can continue to do pretty much what has caused the problems in the first place with no adverse consequence , the government will bail them out. Bailing them out prevents limited resources from going to where they would be used more efficiently, thus new jobs and industries will not be created. This is unsustainable. Those jobs you are worried about have been saved for the short run, not the long run. There is a reason buggy whips are no longer made. Had this current government been around at the turn of the century perhaps we would still have a vibrant buggy whip industry but at what cost to the rest of the economy?
Seems to me like you are changing what you are angry about to avoid answering the real question: What would have happened to this country if Bush and Obama did not "bail out" these industries?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,844,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The tea baggers are lucky if they don't get their butts physically kicked today. They are basically telling the auto workers that they wish they had lost their jobs.
Maybe that auto worker should take a cut and be happy they have kept their job and shut up and build cars that people actually want and the gov wont have to bail them out and have citizens upset.

But they have a right to protest without violence.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You angry tea birther types should listen to your hero Bush VERY CAREFULLY IN THAT CLIP ^^^

Aren't we told that Bush was a bumbling buffoon? NOW you think he is spot on? Very confused bunch these lefties. Please get back to us when you have decided if he was stupid or really smart.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Seems to me like you are changing what you are angry about to avoid answering the real question: What would have happened to this country if Bush and Obama did not "bail out" these industries?
We'd be worse off.

As for bailing out the banks, eh...screw 'em.
If you're too big to fail, you're too big to exist.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Please see highlighted are, go back and ask a coherent question. I must say I do lose patience with posters who will not address posts. I have responded to the post, you didn't understand my answer so you ask it again expecting a different response.

Without a bailout these industries would have failed, others would have taken their assets and creasted new sustainable businesses, just like the buggy whip industry. Is this a hard concept?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Aren't we told that Bush was a bumbling buffoon? NOW you think he is spot on? Very confused bunch these lefties. Please get back to us when you have decided if he was stupid or really smart.
You're attacking back to avoid the question. Answer the question: Should we just have let it all fail? All the banks? What do you think would have happened then? Can you answer?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
We'd be worse off.

As for bailing out the banks, eh...screw 'em.
If you're too big to fail, you're too big to exist.

SO wait a minute. We would be worse off if 100,000 union employees were out of work but better off if 100,000 Wall Street workers were unemplyed? Yeah that makes sense.

It is somehow OK to let one industry fail and not another?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
You're attacking back to avoid the question. Answer the question: Should we just have let it all fail? All the banks? What do you think would have happened then? Can you answer?

So sad, I have answered twice yet you can't understand the response.

By they way not ALL banks were in danger of failing, not een those that were forced to take TARP money. And yes (for the third time) let them fail so somebody else could use their resources more efficiently. See buggy whip analogy.

How about you let me know if you think Bush is smart or dumb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies