Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm not saying the science is accurate, necessarily, but I would give them more credence than some yahoo who says, "Hey. It's cold outside. This must mean that the climate's not getting warmer!"

Brillant deduction my dear watson...but how do you explain the following chart from the scientists at the Hadley Institute..

Is Global Warming Responsible for This Outrageously Cold Winter?-global-cooling-co2-graph.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
From here it looks like "Sell."

Old 01-12-2010, 05:20 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And notice how Rasmussen is always "on the pulse" of what right-wingers are discussing, and that the results almost always show the conservative viewpoint as being in the majority.

Next, I expect Rasmussen to come out with a poll showing Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin to be "America's Favorite Celebrities".
Just because they are correct, does not mean there is some conspiracy going on.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Could get worse, couldn't it?

Listen, I don't support destroying our economy to prevent GW. There is a lot of evidence its occurring, and very little that we can do anything about it.

That doesn't me we shouldn't try within reason. Placing limits on humans impact on the environment is a good thing, as everything we touch, we screw up.

I look at Global Warming like this. Conservatives want the government to leave them alone, because big government only screws them over. But why does government seem to screw things up? Well, its because of the "human element" so to speak.

We should limit our impact on all of our environment. Earth keeps us alive, just the way it is. If I'm in a bubble at the bottom of an ocean, thats keeping me alive, I'm not going to start banging on the walls.
I agree, a common sense approach to reducing human influences on the environment is something we have all been okay with. Punishing us for using fossil fuels before we develop a reliable, dependable and cost efficient replacement is lunacy.

You'd have the government regulating how big a bubble you could have.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:42 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,942,558 times
Quote:
Could get worse, couldn't it?

Listen, I don't support destroying our economy to prevent GW. There is a lot of evidence its occurring, and very little that we can do anything about it.

That doesn't me we shouldn't try within reason. Placing limits on humans impact on the environment is a good thing, as everything we touch, we screw up.

I look at Global Warming like this. Conservatives want the government to leave them alone, because big government only screws them over. But why does government seem to screw things up? Well, its because of the "human element" so to speak.

We should limit our impact on all of our environment. Earth keeps us alive, just the way it is. If I'm in a bubble at the bottom of an ocean, thats keeping me alive, I'm not going to start banging on the walls.
You should take some advice from the late Michael Crichton "State of Fear,' a 'near-hysterical preoccupation with safety that's at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism"

Old 01-12-2010, 05:45 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I heard that Global Warming was actually the true cause of death for JFK... not the bullet... the consensus by scientists is that this is completely true therefore we should not argue and just accept it...

Old 01-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You'd have to be woefully ignorant about climatology to believe that one season is representative of a region's climate or climate trends.
Does that also take into account the 1990s, that the global warming hoaxers always cite as proof of man-made global warming?

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
You should take some advice from the late Michael Crichton "State of Fear,' a 'near-hysterical preoccupation with safety that's at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism"
Thats exactly how I view terrorism, but thats a different topic all together.

I feel that limited restrictions, or taxing of carbon emissions is a good thing. Limited in the effect that it spurs innovation to come up with a solution.

The free market works, just sometimes to slowly. Private industry sometimes needs a gentle prod in the right direction.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:37 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
You'd have to be woefully ignorant about climatology to believe that one season is representative of a region's climate or climate trends.
Yeah - maybe this is just the beginning.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,838 times
All I know is I sure wish global warming would hurry up and come back to Florida, my feet and hands are frozen and I hate to see my electric bill. Maybe I should go start up all of my vehicles and just let them idle to do my part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies