Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,946,738 times

Advertisements

Same exact thing happens here. Someone moves in your house and claims someone rented it to them.

You will spend Months via the legal system having them evicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 AM

12,911 posts, read 13,593,650 times
NPR did and interesting story on a Woman who is a British Squatter . It seems they don't have trespassing laws like we do. It isn't illegal to occupy an "abandoned" building. The owner has to evict you. The woman in the story apparently is doing better financially but prefers her status as a squatter.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,151,472 times
Just as a guess, after reading all of the stories about the Romanian squatters, I think they likely were pulling the scam themselves.

I don't believe them at all, especially about the lease agreement.

Just an opinion (but, I'll bet I'm right here).

Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,617,429 times
BBC News - Squatters evicted from family's Tottenham home

Builders had been working at the property until October and Mr Mosedale, 45, last went to the house on 17 December. The house was also fitted with burglar alarms and locks.
The Mosedales were in Essex on Boxing Day when a friend called and said he had seen people going into the house.
Mr Mosedale said the squatters moved in on Boxing Day

On 3 January Mr Mosedale found the locks had been changed. He said he was discouraged by the initial police response as they treated it "as a civil matter".
"We were warned not to approach or gain access to our property and risk immediate arrest."

I wondered whether the builders had any immigrants (legal or illegal) from Romania on their crew, who were aware the home was vacant?

What I found very upsetting was that the police would threaten the true homeowners with 'immediate arrest' if they were to approach THEIR OWN HOME!

Old 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,619,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

What I found very upsetting was that the police would threaten the true homeowners with 'immediate arrest' if they were to approach THEIR OWN HOME!
The cops in the UK are basically toothless and wont do much about anything.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,747,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
With the building works nearly over, Julian and Samantha Mosedale and their three children were looking forward to moving back into the home of their dreams.
But their hopes have turned into a nightmare because a group of Romanians occupied the property over Christmas.
To add insult to injury, police told them that they were being 'racist' for questioning the squatters' right to live in Britain on benefits.

Family shut out of their 'dream home' by gang of gipsies who moved in over Christmas | Mail Online

Isn't that tresspassing? Even in Britain?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:05 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,613,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
With the building works nearly over, Julian and Samantha Mosedale and their three children were looking forward to moving back into the home of their dreams.
But their hopes have turned into a nightmare because a group of Romanians occupied the property over Christmas.
To add insult to injury, police told them that they were being 'racist' for questioning the squatters' right to live in Britain on benefits.

Family shut out of their 'dream home' by gang of gipsies who moved in over Christmas | Mail Online
Great Britain is hopelessly screwed-up with it's political correctness and blind favoratism of immigrants over citizens...

They've allowed their rights to be trampled by their politicians - and they now have to fight to regain them...

I've always felt that Great Britain was a shadow of it's former self - that it lacked the will and courage to be a strong democracy any longer... and this article is just further proof that they are on the border of going under...

They allowed this mess to develop - now they can correct it on their own - or suffer the consequences.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM

615 posts, read 1,690,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
NPR did and interesting story on a Woman who is a British Squatter . It seems they don't have trespassing laws like we do. It isn't illegal to occupy an "abandoned" building. The owner has to evict you. The woman in the story apparently is doing better financially but prefers her status as a squatter.
It is a bit more complicated than that. I so personally think that they go a bit too far but it has more to do with their history than anything because traditionally they have had buildings set up specifically for squatters. I know confusing but I am not going to go into it, look it up. Basically it is NOT legal for squatters to break into a place. They are not allowed to break windows, beat down doors, etc. They don't have a legal right to do whatever they want. That is a clear cut case of trespassing BUT it also is not a criminal matter. As in, if there is no clear cut case of breaking and entering then it goes through the courts vs the police. That doesn't mean they condone squatters it just means they have made it a civil vs a criminal matter. Again, that doesn't mean that squatters have rights to do whatever they want. It is very hard for Americans to understand different laws and cultures in other countries, that is part of the problem. Americans can only see in terms of the US culture and law, they see things as black and white, right and wrong instead of just DIFFERENT. I am American myself and perhaps because I have English parents and have traveled extensively I can just see how things are different, not better not worse. I don't know but I just get highly irritated that when people don't agree with something, particularly people that are politically far right (note I did not say conservative, there is a big difference IMO), it is because they are too liberal, or too PC, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies