Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Don't we already have a HUGE undocumented illegal alien problem? Why add to it?
It's not. These folks are DOCUMENTED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:15 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
It's not. These folks are DOCUMENTED.
What I'm saying is why bring MORE people here when we already have a huge problem with undocumented ones.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is why bring MORE people here when we already have a huge problem with undocumented ones.
Its called refreshing the gene pool.

If you are in favor of LEGAL immigration, this lottery only spreads out where legal immigrants will be coming from.

If you are opposed to ALL Immigration... that's a whole other issue.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Corroborated by a number of web sites, the US State Dept (Hillary's in charge, I guess) is issuing a number of "diversity visas" from numerous countries, such as Yemen or Somalia! Hmmm, weren't terrorists supposed to come from there?

Oh Boy, let's review "diversity visas" in history:

- In 1812, the US issues "diversity visas" to the British
- In the Civil war, the US issues "diversity visas" to the Confederacy
- In WWII, the US issues "diversity visas" to Germany and Japan

Got it yet? Had enough yet?
I don't agree with shutting down the DV lottery for every one, just for the nations who support these terrorist and where the most are coming from + their spouses countries, otherwise they enter using their birth right countries.

Most of the people winning are good people and they should pay the price for the bad ones. Just as Obama now wants 12 million illegals to get a path to a GC...while E2 visa holders who have a business in the US and providing jobs to American citizen (under the visa rules a requirement) have no path to obtain a GC...Something is wrong with this.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

If you are in favor of LEGAL immigration, this lottery only spreads out where legal immigrants will be coming from.

I say shut the doors and let us figure out how many UNDOCUMENTED we actually have here (and what to do with them) before opening it up to even more immigrants. We have a mess on our hands, and we need to clean this up before allowing more people in.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I say shut the doors and let us figure out how many UNDOCUMENTED we actually have here (and what to do with them) before opening it up to even more immigrants. We have a mess on our hands, and we need to clean this up before allowing more people in.
O.Kay!

If I were the author of the thread I would suggest taking this up over in the immigration sections, but I'm not so I won't. But I will say that curtailing all immigration is total other issue which, as usual, I will abstain from participating in.

But I am more than happy to discuss the issue outlined by the thread.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Refreshing the gene pool? I think you're call for some scientific basis of immigration is a little lacking. Is our 307 million strong gene pool not already diverse enough? Secondly, are all genes equally valuable?

Asians are mostly shorter and lactose intollerant. Hispanics are largely shorter and lactose intollerant and also have a much higher probability of diabetes and other diseases. Blacks vary based on region, but are largely lactose intollerant, have a much higher probability of many blood diseases like sickle-cell anemia, and have consistently scored very poorly on IQ tests.

Your basis that our gene pool will be stronger through diversity, would be like advocating that our gene pool would be stronger with an influx of criminals and autistics. Obviously that is a fallacy.

The only reason diversity has even become a goal, is because of the advent of "white-guilt". And while I do realize there had been slavery in relatively modern history. It wasn't only the Europeans that had slaves, every single society and culture in the world has had slaves. We had fought the barbary wars not long after the creation of this country because the barbary states were capturing, ransoming, and/or enslaving American traders. It is believed millions of Europeans were sold into slavery in North Africa alone.

So why is it that White countries are the only ones who seem to have this guilt? Because white-countries have been successful. And when we look at other countries, instead of asking ourselves and understanding why we have been so successful. We are instead angry because there are other people in this world today that are struggling and suffering. And while there is nothing wrong with empathy, you need to understand that there is a reason that whites have traditionally been very successful while many others have not.

And things like this probably has something to do with it.

Police May Scrap Entrance Exam: Report | NBC Chicago

Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Refreshing the gene pool?
Your lack of a sense of humor isn't surprising.

As for the unfounded, unscientific and racist screed, more befitting of a discussion on Stormfront... I'll just ignore.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:33 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
The term diversity is wrong,it should just be the green card lottery,a last chance for those who cannot get a work visa...
Americans must ...decide what kind of immigration they want...

Good quality educated people,persons randomly selected,investors,the rich of the world ...

U should know that in order to get a GC,an investor must invest...$ 500 k in cash ,not borrowed,not a collateral, in a distressed area...Who on earth can afford 500k ( non -borrowed ) ,apart from pimps,drug dealers & very rich ?

A logical demand would be to ask $100 K .Even well-off Americans may not have 100k in cash savings...

So,the immigration policy needs more realism...

Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Lets see, applicants registered for the DV program were selected at random from over 13.6 million qualified entries received during the 60 day application period. (you have to qualify in a few areas, including qualifying job skills not just, sign up and your here)

Hmmm - Yup, a terrorist has maybe a 1% chance of being selected. Not exactly the odds I would bank on or plan a mission on.
There's some problems with your logic:

1) From the same web site, here's how many actual people came in from various countries: From Nigeria, 6,006. From Iran, 2,773. From Somalia, 229. From Jordan, 143. From Yemen, 72. OK, so how many out of the 72 from Yemen, a dirt poor country loaded with people who get fed daily on how bad America is, could be potentially suspect? From Somalia (pirate capital of the world)? Are you kidding? Do you want to take a 1 in 229 chance?

Your 1% statistics argument breaks down here. It's not an issue with the total worldwide pool, it's the chosen pool from various suspect countries. I would think there is a pretty good chance that 1 out of 229 from Somalia may be suspect, don't you think?

2) Job skills. Hmmm. Didn't KSM have a mechanical engineering degree? A lot of bad people actually have skills of one kind or another, they are just stuck in a dirt poor area. Therefore, requiring skills has no merit into determination of being a bad guy (or girl).

3) As the blog infers, I'll just bet the State dept. will flag all potential adversaries, just like the great job they did with Umar Farouk Abdulmattallab. Um, yeah, sure.

I'm sorry, I just don't get the State dept. voluntarily giving potential bad guys yet another vector into our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies