Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:19 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Jefferson was to put it mildly, two faced. He had slaves, had children with them and wrote an outline on how to have the Native American Nations in the Northwest Territories become indebted and have to sell their land. Of course, in hindsight this was mild since in the end the land was just stolen. Liberty only applied to certain classes of men in his standards.
Jefferson is consistently voted among the best presidents and freed those jailed by the Alien and Sedition act. He is more American in his little pinky than the last 10 presidents combined. He had spoken out against slavery to his founding father brethren and considered it an abomination. But, a good way to apologize for the massive government interventionism that is going on right now is to demonize great men like Jefferson for speaking out against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I always think it's funny when people take the dead and try to assign their own beliefs to them, when they cannot speak for themselves.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM

654 posts, read 466,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Jefferson was to put it mildly, two faced. He had slaves, had children with them and wrote an outline on how to have the Native American Nations in the Northwest Territories become indebted and have to sell their land. Of course, in hindsight this was mild since in the end the land was just stolen. Liberty only applied to certain classes of men in his standards.
Absolutely. While he left plenty of room to improve on his actions, his ideas on liberty are still priceless.

They just need to be applied to a wider audience, not completely thrown out.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM

From wikipedia: "Jefferson was an outspoken abolitionist, but he owned many slaves over his lifetime. Although these facts seem baffling, biographers point out that Jefferson was deeply in debt and had encumbered his slaves by notes and mortgages; he could not free them until he was free of debt, which never happened."

Old 01-13-2010, 01:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I always think it's funny when people take the dead and try to assign their own beliefs to them, when they cannot speak for themselves.
It's nothing more than revisionist history. We truly have no idea what the "founding fathers" would say about the world today, but I can guarantee that they would be shocked to hear all that is attributed to them and I'll wager appalled that we are all still trying to live by their 200+ year old documents in modern day society.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
It's nothing more than revisionist history. We truly have no idea what the "founding fathers" would say about the world today, but I can guarantee that they would be shocked to hear all that is attributed to them and I'll wager appalled that we are all still trying to live by their 200+ year old documents in modern day society.
Now that's funny, because all we have to do is pull up some of his historic quotes to get his side of that insane idea of a "living constitution" out of the tiny minds of progressives.

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation." - Thomas Jefferson

As for 200 year old documents, that's why their was an amendment process. The federal government sidesteps this very important process by creating codes and laws instead.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Quote:
no way. No one wants debt, not republicans/moderates/liberals etc. So if you'll are baiting people into say, "yeah I'm a "democrat and I love debt" that's not going to happen. Obviously.
I wasn't trying to imply anyone really wants debt, however, come election time, the last 20 years or so, it hasn't really been a priority of the majority of voters on either side of the political spectrum.

I meant more that in general, the ideals the founding fathers stood for are far different from the nation we have evolved into and the world we are a part of. For better or worse, we have much more governement now, than they ever imagined. Of course, the nation has changed, and, they designed the Constitution to change with it. Regardless of my opinions of what is best, or what the Constitution allows, we cannot expect the same rules to apply today.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Now that's funny, because all we have to do is pull up some of his historic quotes to get his side of that insane idea of a "living constitution" out of the tiny minds of progressives.

"When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation." - Thomas Jefferson

As for 200 year old documents, that's why their was an amendment process. The federal government sidesteps this very important process by creating codes and laws instead.
Believe what you want, I've studied Jefferson in detail which has formed my opinions of him. I stand by my statement, but again, we'll never know of course since the men are long dead.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
I meant more that in general, the ideals the founding fathers stood for are far different from the nation we have evolved into and the world we are a part of. For better or worse, we have much more governement now, than they ever imagined. Of course, the nation has changed, and, they designed the Constitution to change with it. Regardless of my opinions of what is best, or what the Constitution allows, we cannot expect the same rules to apply today.
Now this I agree with 100%

Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Believe what you want, I've studied Jefferson in detail which has formed my opinions of him. I stand by my statement, but again, we'll never know of course since the men are long dead.
You can stand by the statement blue = green or 1 + 1 = 3 all you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies