Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,220,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Well first of all, I don't see you out there in the rubble helping these people. Secondly, I DO feel bad for these people... its a TERRIBLE travesty and hope to god that the survivors can rebuild their country into a better Haiti than before.

Unfortunately there is nothing (realistically) most of us can do except donate money. Which I did.
Actually, I just had my Hep B shot this morning and I am qualified to go since I have an extensive background in search and recovery...my name is on the list and I hope my name is called

My husband and I have also donated monetarily as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:40 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,220,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Is it really out of charity if you announce it? Giving is best done in anonymity or at least without fanfare and press releases.
Wonderful point.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,641,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Is it really out of charity if you announce it? Giving is best done in anonymity or at least without fanfare and press releases.
Of course not. After having caught a lot of flack over the years, Wally World wishes to undermine their horrible reputation of dangerous Chinese garbage & offshored jobs by perching atop their mountain and proclaiming to the world that they're giving to charity. Beneath it all, they just want to continue with business as usual.

Grandstanding is a noble act with selfish motives.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 PM

654 posts, read 465,040 times
Wal-mart receives more than $600,000 in subsidies every year by the federal government.

Wal-Mart Subsidy Watch - brought to you by Good Jobs First

Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,272,250 times
Quote:
I honestly don't believe that... show some evidence that Oprah donated a decent chunk of change to this
Have you beaten your kids yet today?

Do a little homework before you pop off. Check here.

http://specials.slate.com/slate60/2006/ (broken link)

So tell me, are you outraged that Rush Limbaugh isn't on this list?

No, of course not.

Next.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,316,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Of course not. After having caught a lot of flack over the years, Wally World wishes to undermine their horrible reputation of dangerous Chinese garbage & offshored jobs by perching atop their mountain and proclaiming to the world that they're giving to charity. Beneath it all, they just want to continue with business as usual.

Grandstanding is a noble act with selfish motives.
I know this is the P&OC forum and common sense and decency aren't exactly common here, but is it possible we can lay off the Walmart/liberal/conservative bashing in regards to this topic, at least until the poor buried people have stopped screaming? seriously, there are people sleeping in the streets among corpses and you're over here turning this thread into a podium to do some Walmart bashing?

ugh, I swear there are some people on this forum that aren't much better than that Robertson scum, using a tragedy to prove some petty point or push some idiotic agenda

Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Quote:
.... Meanwhile, Oprah and Paris Hilton are telling us to donate, while not donating anything themselves!

Oprah, Paris Hilton urge Haiti quake relief

Walmart Donates $600,000 in Response to Haiti Earthquake -- BENTONVILLE, Ark., Jan. 13 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Four of the ten richest Americans are WALTONS, combined they are richer than Bill Gates.. What they have contributed is not equal to the amount the taxpayers pay for the Health Care of their workers

Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,641,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I know this is the P&OC forum and common sense and decency aren't exactly common here, but is it possible we can lay off the Walmart/liberal/conservative bashing in regards to this topic, at least until the poor buried people have stopped screaming? seriously, there are people sleeping in the streets among corpses and you're over here turning this thread into a podium to do some Walmart bashing?

ugh, I swear there are some people on this forum that aren't much better than that Robertson scum, using a tragedy to prove some petty point or push some idiotic agenda
And typing up a reply on a forum, just like all of us are, and spouting off more rhetoric of your own is sooo above us all isn't it? I mean, nothing even remotely ironic and hypocritical there right?

Uh huh. Look, I'm as heart-broken as any other warm-blooded human being over the tragedy unfolding in Haiti, let there be no misunderstandings there. But far be it from me to simply ignore the selfishness in using the public's suffering as a podium to announce that you're making a donation. Donations are wonderful, but the truly kind ones are made in earnest, not in anticipation of grabbing the spotlight.

But in the interest of not making a public spectacle out of kindheartedness and to prove you're so much better than everyone else, why don't you PM me a photocopy of a receipt or letter of thanks to prove the donation that you've made to Haiti (if you have, I promise I won't hold it against you like I'm doing for WalMart), or a plane ticket or something, and show us moral inferiors at C-D that whatever it is you're doing in response to this calamity, is so much more worthwhile. Until then, put a cork in it.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,829,756 times
Quote:
UPS donates $1million

those EVIL corporations I tell you...
Bank of America Donated a million also

Old 01-14-2010, 09:14 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,981,402 times
I'm telling you, those evil Americans will end up donating more money they can't afford to give away to this relief effort than every other country in the world put together. China donates $1 mil? Wow, what cheapskates. Just wait until they become the new superpower, the world will be crying for the good old days of the USA running the ship.

Personally, I'm not donating anything. Haiti will get plenty enough without me and I don't trust the Red Cross or any other international relief after their disastrous handling of 9/11 and Katrina where they basically pocketed all the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies