Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you would marry someone?
Companionship 66 44.59%
Financial security 10 6.76%
Physical attraction 3 2.03%
Romance 8 5.41%
To have children 21 14.19%
Other 40 27.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times

Advertisements

Divorce Payout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Isn't that a good thing though? I would certainly hate to be forced into an arranged marriage.
oh no maem, i beg to differ.
matchmaking is only a tiny part of the involvement of the groom's family.
his mother keeps and eye on the new bride, the hen pecking and manipulation games played on the groom, which mama knows so well, are kept at a minimum.
the american bride habit of isolating and controlling the groom from the get go, are unknown. with mama watching you-- you are not guna hack his email and cell phone. them days are over. spending him into hopeless debt with your mall binges, you can forget that, mama will not tolerate abuse of her son. ever guy in the orient is what you call here a mama's boy. thats bek mama is in his corner and she is on to you. ever guy in the orient has got a soccer mom.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
....he's fishin' man.......fishin'......or is it trolling....

Old 02-16-2010, 01:57 PM
rpx

8 posts, read 7,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I have not in one post I have made, presumed to deny them the rights which you are saying they should have. In fact, I have advocated them having those rights.

Allowing them Civil Unions would do just that.
Rhett_Butler, ummm nooooo, no to civil unions. They want and deserve marriage. What civil unions does is place them as second class citizens, seperate but equal. Should we then deny marriages but instead have have civil unions for interracial couples? Did you know that in California a woman gave up her US citizenship if she married a Chinese immigrant, who were brought in to build the railroads in the 1800's. Another instance of government regulating who you can marry. How about today, should a woman who loves a Chinese immigrant only be permitted to have a civil union? A Civil Union is only a deception to create seperate but equal. My daughter and her spouce are equal to every other couple on their block, and they live in a very wealthy neighborhood Rhett. Discrimintation, such as denying a person the right to MARRY whom they choose, when enacted by the government gives apporaval to societal discrimination. This is a very important point of why marraige equality matters. Civil Unions only perpetuate descrimination, catagorizing my children as "seperate" from society but equal. My children are not seperate, they are a thread of the woven fabric of society.

I sent my gay son to the University of Colorado in 2000 only 2 years after Mathew Shepherd was murdered in Colorado in 1998. You name it he achieved at Colorado, and at only 29 years old holds a very senior position in the Government in Washington DC. Both my kids are just normal everyday high achievers, no different then straight high achievers, no different Rhett.

Gays and Lesbians will not stay in the closet any longer and I thank my lucky stars that my children were born in their generation and not the generation previous. I am eternally gratefull of ACT UP, and I do remember them, and of all the brave GLBT's who years ago stepped out of the closet and refused to deny who they were, they were Out and Proud. Because of those brave acts my children have a much better life today. Because of the acts of this generation, the next generation will not think twice about having a married same sex couple as neighbors. So no, no, to Civil Unions, unless that is what you would want for yourself and for your hetrosexual children, cousins and neighbors. Is this a dream you have for them, "I hope one day my child will enter into a civil union and have a legal partner in life"

If you personally aspire to sign a Civil Union and have a Civil Union ceremony and relationship with your "partner" (partner as in a business partnership) then it should be available to you also, it should not be restricted to GLBT's. My kids want what I have, what their granparents have, what their aunts and uncles have, what their cousins have and that is a loving solid marriage and to spend the rest of their life with their spouce raising their children with their spouce. Rhett even prisoners have the right to marry, come on, think about it. What is the basis of your discrimination against Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgender people? Why do you think seperate but equal is okay?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:04 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You two are funny.
I don't think NewtoCA is joking. I think you worded your poll oddly. The main reason to become officially married really is better tax brackets and incentives.

Why else would one enter into such a man-made institution when you can simply be together, dating, and playing-house on your own?

You join a relationship for companionship. You don't marry for companionship - you're already together!

The real, honest answer is financial security (more accurately: financial incentives).

Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM
rpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I say the best reason to get married is because it's damn lonely to go through life by yourself and to live it only for yourself.
I agree with you and if you talk to people who are married 40, 50, 60 years and more they really reinforce your opinion.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
rpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by thosemeninlove View Post
lol, You'd be right there Rhett, we came back. Morbid fascination. That and that we're able to slice cleanly through your walls of circular logic.

You can say whatever you like about us (and have) but in the end, others perceptions of your posts are what lend to or subtract from your credibility.

Gay marriage in Canada for 6 years so far - no slippery slope into legalization of these other kinds of marriages (ugh) you foam on about. Fearmongering is not an indication of brilliance.
LOL, "Fearmongering is not an indication of brilliance" great line, I'll be resuing this one as the situation fits. I am so appreciative of your inuts and reassurances to the week kneed that civilazation does not crash when GLBT's marry. Your thoughts and comments would be really appreciated at www.Prop8TrialTracker.com

Old 02-16-2010, 02:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
If I were not a Christian I would see no need to marry. I refuse to get into religious arguements so please don't try and start one, but in my opinion marriage only makes sense in the eyes of my religious beliefs.

I have no problem with anyone and everyone getting civil unions, but marriage is a religious thing.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpx View Post
Rhett_Butler, ummm nooooo, no to civil unions. They want and deserve marriage. What civil unions does is place them as second class citizens, seperate but equal. Should we then deny marriages but instead have have civil unions for interracial couples? Did you know that in California a woman gave up her US citizenship if she married a Chinese immigrant, who were brought in to build the railroads in the 1800's. Another instance of government regulating who you can marry. How about today, should a woman who loves a Chinese immigrant only be permitted to have a civil union? A Civil Union is only a deception to create seperate but equal. My daughter and her spouce are equal to every other couple on their block, and they live in a very wealthy neighborhood Rhett. Discrimintation, such as denying a person the right to MARRY whom they choose, when enacted by the government gives apporaval to societal discrimination. This is a very important point of why marraige equality matters. Civil Unions only perpetuate descrimination, catagorizing my children as "seperate" from society but equal. My children are not seperate, they are a thread of the woven fabric of society.

I sent my gay son to the University of Colorado in 2000 only 2 years after Mathew Shepherd was murdered in Colorado in 1998. You name it he achieved at Colorado, and at only 29 years old holds a very senior position in the Government in Washington DC. Both my kids are just normal everyday high achievers, no different then straight high achievers, no different Rhett.

Gays and Lesbians will not stay in the closet any longer and I thank my lucky stars that my children were born in their generation and not the generation previous. I am eternally gratefull of ACT UP, and I do remember them, and of all the brave GLBT's who years ago stepped out of the closet and refused to deny who they were, they were Out and Proud. Because of those brave acts my children have a much better life today. Because of the acts of this generation, the next generation will not think twice about having a married same sex couple as neighbors. So no, no, to Civil Unions, unless that is what you would want for yourself and for your hetrosexual children, cousins and neighbors. Is this a dream you have for them, "I hope one day my child will enter into a civil union and have a legal partner in life"

If you personally aspire to sign a Civil Union and have a Civil Union ceremony and relationship with your "partner" (partner as in a business partnership) then it should be available to you also, it should not be restricted to GLBT's. My kids want what I have, what their granparents have, what their aunts and uncles have, what their cousins have and that is a loving solid marriage and to spend the rest of their life with their spouce raising their children with their spouce. Rhett even prisoners have the right to marry, come on, think about it. What is the basis of your discrimination against Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals and Transgender people? Why do you think seperate but equal is okay?
We disagree and I'll leave it there.

I have gone so far as to say that the government should get out of the marriage business all together, and wonder if they ever belonged in it in the first place. But that would bring us to an inconvenient discussio about all those reasons why our government first got involved in marriage from the beginning and yes, many of them had to do with children and the passing on of property to offspring and such things that pro-gay marriage folks tend to deny as having anything to do with the advent of this social contract.

Yeah, I'd be fine just taking government out of it all together. That's equal, is it not?

Mentioned this before, but as usual, it's hard to demonize if you actually read the demon's compromise, no matter how fair it is.

Yes, I believe it should be a separate construct, but I am one that is just over the line from what you truly want... I guess since no one who is totally against gay rights is around though it's just easier to keep quoting me, right?

Last time here.... The gay individual is not being treated differently. The gay relationship is. There are some pretty obvious differences between heterosexual and homosexual relationships. Some believe the difference is noteable to the point where it should be differentiated, and some don't. If it's about rights, then take the rights. 2nd class citizens? No... This isn't a separate bathroom, lunch-counter, movie theater, waterfountain, etc... The rights are all the same. Confounding the compromise of Civil Unions with Separate But Equal from the Civil Rights Era is disingenuous... It's REALLY simple. It's codified. If one starts to differ from the other then a lawyer would be on it faster than if you shouted "multi-car pileup" in the middle of their firm....

But again, whatever... "Fearmongering"? Yeah, I'm scared. You got me...

Old 02-16-2010, 02:47 PM
rpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
We disagree and I'll leave it there.

I have gone so far as to say that the government should get out of the marriage business all together, and wonder if they ever belonged in it in the first place. But that would bring us to an inconvenient discussio about all those reasons why our government first got involved in marriage from the beginning and yes, many of them had to do with children and the passing on of property to offspring and such things that pro-gay marriage folks tend to deny as having anything to do with the advent of this social contract.

Yeah, I'd be fine just taking government out of it all together. That's equal, is it not?

Mentioned this before, but as usual, it's hard to demonize if you actually read the demon's compromise, no matter how fair it is.

Yes, I believe it should be a separate construct, but I am one that is just over the line from what you truly want... I guess since no one who is totally against gay rights is around though it's just easier to keep quoting me, right?

Last time here.... The gay individual is not being treated differently. The gay relationship is. There are some pretty obvious differences between heterosexual and homosexual relationships. Some believe the difference is noteable to the point where it should be differentiated, and some don't. If it's about rights, then take the rights. 2nd class citizens? No... This isn't a separate bathroom, lunch-counter, movie theater, waterfountain, etc... The rights are all the same. Confounding the compromise of Civil Unions with Separate But Equal from the Civil Rights Era is disingenuous... It's REALLY simple. It's codified. If one starts to differ from the other then a lawyer would be on it faster than if you shouted "multi-car pileup" in the middle of their firm....

But again, whatever... "Fearmongering"? Yeah, I'm scared. You got me...
Okay Rhett I agree with you. If GLBT's are not permitted a marraige license by the government then nobody is. You agree that the best solution is to get government out of the marriage business and into only the civil union business and everyone is treated equally. You won me over Rhett!! hey one convert, that is pretty good right?

I agree with you because then my children are not treated seperate but equal but just plain equal. Everybody who wants a civil union can get one. Then it is up to the churches if they want to perform a marriage or not. Some churches will and some won't. As long as the government treats my children as equal to everyone else I am happy. Somehow I don't think your idea is going to fly though, bet most people will not vote to give up the legal government institution of marriage. What do you think? Can you imagine running for president on the platform of "I'm going to eliminate marriage in this country and replace it with civil unions"

I agree with your idea completely, 100% I just don't see it happening. In the meantime do gays and lesbians wait around for univerasl civil unions and just be patient? If you were gay what do you think your approach would be right now? Not theoretical but practical. If you were gay and you were in love and you wanted your love to be recognized by society, and to receive all the rights and advantages of civily married/unioned people, right now Feb 16, 2010, what would be your best course of action? I at least give you credit for being a reasonable person. I am just curious of what you think you would be tryng to do if you were gay and in love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies