Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the main reason you would marry someone?
Companionship 66 44.59%
Financial security 10 6.76%
Physical attraction 3 2.03%
Romance 8 5.41%
To have children 21 14.19%
Other 40 27.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:08 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Well let me help you out:

If I didn't want to have kids, I wouldn't have gotten married. What's the point? A piece of paper and a party that waaaay too much $$ was spent on? Nostalgia? Tradition? Getting the "A-ok" from gramma to live in (what gramma considers) sin?

I don't "get" the defining factor that a piece of paper has on a relationship that is supposedly out of genuine love and commitment if kids aren't ever going to be involved. Much easier to part ways if not married without kids than IF married without kids.
agree. I honestly don't understand it when people say that getting married will alter their relationship. in a sense, it will, but only in terms of legalities and labels. how you feel about each other isn't really going to change (are you going to love a man/woman more as a hubby/wife vs a long term BF/GF?). if you're in a relationship where you are honestly thinking "I could walk away from this easily", you obviously aren't truly committed to that person, IMHO, and shouldn't even think of getting married. only when you start thinking "I could never walk away from this" should marriage be considered, but by that point, I honestly don't see how marriage could strengthen such a bond. as someone else here pointed out, I think there's more of a social aspect to getting married, but if you have nothing to prove to the world, no need to go through the motions if you don't want to (granted, I can't, at the moment, think of a reason not to get married, even if it just involves going to city hall, unless you want to keep assets separate).

I hate to do this, but I'll bring up an example in the celebrity world. look at Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell, unmarried yet together for decades. I don't see how being officially married will change that. on the flip side, you have someone like Britney Spears. frankly, the former relationship seems far more stable than any of Britney's marriages

as for children, in the grand scheme of things, I think it's best for the parents to be married b/c it does add more security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 AM

654 posts, read 466,264 times
I think that the idea of caring for someone besides yourself is attractive.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
All consuming fear of dying alone.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
I put other as marriage is a formal public declaration of a union between a couple who are supposed to be commited to each other till the day they die.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
LOVE and COMPANIONSHIP.....I'm gay...I understand the procreation part...but not all of us are physically capable nor want children. The world's population is already too high....humanity will go on regardless...unless we have a planetary disaster or destroy ourselves through WARS etc.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:52 AM

295 posts, read 667,748 times
Companionship. I don't fear dying alone. I guess that's a perk of having the soul of a loner.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
my only explanation is that young men do not have, in america, the benefit of his family's involvement in marriage, unlike the far East.
Isn't that a good thing though? I would certainly hate to be forced into an arranged marriage.

Last edited by terrence81; 01-14-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-14-2010, 08:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Well marriage has been about financial security for many milenia. Only recently in the course of human history has romance been brought into the mix and not in all cultures. Arranged marriages involving doweries are still common through many parts of the world. Which basically makes a woman like I don't know a car. I mean she needs to be young her value depriciates as she gets older since she pump out as many babies and the man buys her off the lot after haggling with the sales staff ie her parents. So glad we don't have that in America. Although many in arranged marriages are very happy and feel that their parents being older and wiser make better decision makers in such matters.

For the record I picked romance since well a good friend or dog can provide companionship.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They get married for many reasons: companionship, physical attraction, financial protection, to make a commitment. . . . Many even get married, and stay married, because of love.

Prop. 8 backers' procreation argument doesn't ring true - latimes.com
I think your question is skewed, because you cite a link that discusses government involvement with marriage. Of course people marry another person because they love them, want to commit their lives to them, and are physically and psychologically attracted to them.

The proper question to ask, under the context of government involvement, is why do governments, and private citizens promote, endorse and encourage marriage. It's because of the children that men and women produce, not because of companionship or love. And yet the subject of marriage has become so distorted, that when I took the poll only 3 people selected children, and 16 selected companionship.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Someone to bring me snacks and beer while I'm parked on the couch watching football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies