Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You Less Likely To Be Forum Friends With Or Give Reputation Points To A Gay Poster?
YES! 9 6.77%
NO! 66 49.62%
SOMETIMES! 0 0%
NO OPINION! 3 2.26%
DOESN'T MATTER! 55 41.35%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
You can send a DM to one of the mods. I did and they changed it for me.
Very true...but WHY should he have to; he is only being himself and taking a stand and is proud of his heritage....as we ALL are/do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Having been a member of the forum for just short of a year, I'd like to think my giving rep points to anyone depends more on what they are saying and the way they say it than whether or not I consider them a friend. And whether or not I consider them a friend depends mostly on just how often I do agree with what they say. There are very few with whom I agree 100% of the time, just as there are few that I disagree with 100% of the time. And whether or not someone is gay makes no difference whatsoever. I've disagreed on various issues with many here whom I consider friends. (Not sure, but I think there was even a time or two when I disagreed with you!) And I agreed and gave rep points just this morning to someone with whom I usually disagree.
You proved my point...we disagreed once I think; though generally you are a staunch defender of gay/equal (marriage) rights. But we became friends did we not .

Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
How would I know if someone was gay? I don't keep a record
Seriously....DM me the record....LOL.... .

Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'm straight most of the time but I'm gay on Tuesdays. I should see if I get fewer rep points on Tuesdays.
Sounds like a plan! . Let me know the results .

Old 01-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There should be a rainbow smiley face so we'll know when gay and lesbians posts. May be some type of gay smiley face that's dressed extremely well ?

Crap, then we'd have to figure out something for all the Bi-sexuals who come out over in the relationship thread.
How about 2 rainbows ....one right side up...touching.... one upside down.... Covers the flip/flop.....no offense to anyone...just looking for levity(where is that man?)...LOL.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have to back Tkramar on this one, and we don't agree on things here from time to time.

If there is anyone on this forum that can reasonably say he doesn't give a crap....I believe him.

Some folks JUST DON'T CARE. Hell, i'm the same way. I used to go to a gym that was 90% gay...stripped naked, showered there...said hi to people....and then went home and nailed my future wife like a sailor on shore leave.

I'm sure those guys went home and did the same thing to their partners....who cares?
Great story...You're funny...by the way...DM me that gym address... (kidding!)

Old 01-15-2010, 10:34 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Pretty much self explanatory. Most posters at City-Data are respectful and basically nice. However I have had a very few harass me and lost a few forum friends, when they found out I was GAY.

I have started this thread with a poll that will NOT BE PUBLIC. NOONE will know how you voted unless you mention it in a reply. I am really curious and want only HONEST replies; hence the non-public poll.

I do NOT want to have anyone's feelings hurt, nor anyone harassed and this includes myself. Remember that your emotions are sensed by posters by what you type....all of us (me included) have emotions here, so put yourself in the other person's shoes before you post. PEACE
Personally, I never give it much thought. I give rep points when rep points are due.

I have a few on my "friends list" who are openly gay. They are also conservative thinkers and my affinity with the ideology far outweighs anything they do in their private lives. I give them rep points without hesitation. And I've no doubt we could sit down at the table and drink a lot of beer and kid each other over it all...

I vehemently oppose homosexual marriage and, further, believe the sexual content is unnatural. I make no bones about that. At the same time, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world by any stretch and (perhaps rare for a Southern Baptist boy) sincerely believe one cannot help their sexual orientation, Or even want to change it.

The friends I have who are gay know how I think, and I know how they think. It lends for good conversation sometime...

Anyway, no. The fact someone is gay has no bearing whatsoever as to giving points. Not in the least.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:43 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
That anyone would be less likely to be "friends" on an internet forum with someone who is gay is such a retro idea - honestly, it makes me chuckle a little bit to think about it.

Yeah, I know there are still plenty of people who think gays are gross, or mentally ill, or whatever - but would I even want to be friends with people like that? Nah. There's plenty of people in the world to choose from who aren't that way, and I don't need to worry about the troglodytes who are.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Personally, I never give it much thought. I give rep points when rep points are due.

I have a few on my "friends list" who are openly gay. They are also conservative thinkers and my affinity with the ideology far outweighs anything they do in their private lives. I give them rep points without hesitation. And I've no doubt we could sit down at the table and drink a lot of beer and kid each other over it all...

I vehemently oppose homosexual marriage and, further, believe the sexual content is unnatural. I make no bones about that. At the same time, I don't think it is the worst thing in the world by any stretch and (perhaps rare for a Southern Baptist boy) sincerely believe one cannot help their sexual orientation, Or even want to change it.

The friends I have who are gay know how I think, and I know how they think. It lends for good conversation sometime...

Anyway, no. The fact someone is gay has no bearing whatsoever as to giving points. Not in the least.
I do not want this thread to disentigrate into marriage rights; but PLEASE TACTFULLY tell me your objections to CIVIL UNIONS..SEE I don't care about the semantics I just want to be able for my partner and/or myself to not lose our house because the other has passed and the survivor cannot collect their mate's social security benefits, etc.. By denying me this you are debasing my humanity and causing social instability in our country.

Put the shoe on the other foot...what if a widow married 27 years(like my relationship timewise) could not collect her husband's pension/social security etc. Please reconsider...How about it was YOUR MOTHER denied the right to finish out her life in her own house? .

Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Great post but you should know that a lot of people cannot and will not empathize nor will empathy bring out any sort of compassion or friendly change in behavior towards those whom they view immoral or unethical.

Saying to somebody or a group that their behavior is immoral and disgusting or repugnant over and over again virtually brainwashes that group to believe and behave in that way. Saying I wish for these people or group to be productive, contributing, and law abiding citizens of America is what everybody should be blessing onto anybody that they disagree with.

This whole judgmental crap is extremely unfair and actually damages those in minority groups in our society far worse than they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I do not want this thread to disentigrate into marriage rights; but PLEASE TACTFULLY tell me your objections to CIVIL UNIONS..SEE I don't care about the semantics I just want to be able for my partner and/or myself to not lose our house because the other has passed and the survivor cannot collect their mate's social security benefits, etc.. By denying me this you are debasing my humanity and causing social instability in our country.

Put the shoe on the other foot...what if a widow married 27 years(like my relationship timewise) could not collect her husband's pension/social security etc. Please reconsider...How about it was YOUR MOTHER denied the right to finish out her life in her own house? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies