Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 PM

88,785 posts, read 44,594,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
As stated earlier, it appears that public support for this bill is about 50% at this point (give or take). Why are those who are opposed repeatedly saying that Americans don't want this bill when roughly 1/2 of us do?
Nope.
RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Obama and Democrats' Health Care Plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM

918 posts, read 815,465 times
Default songgirl

As you may observe I took the option of going to a source that you to the left prefer and usually do NOT challenge, your own major media outlet CBS(CommunistBroadcastingSystem) for the polling data. It IS the latest by the way.

Nothing personal here songgirl. This is more directed at the other more hostile left-wingers who have been ranting about this thread with predictable derision and little fact.

You'll note some question mark references at the poll dates shown below. That's to indicate that it's ongoing. By next week I should have a worse news update for you. So what say you now? Feel free to post the latest Rasmussen Poll. The guy was the most accurate on the last national elections y'know! If you can't locate the link I can give it to you. I figured since my opposition here has been relying on old, stale data I'd make the gentlemanly 'update' offer.

Here we go:

President Obama's approval rating on handling health care is at an all-time low, according to a new CBS News poll, something that is helping to drag down his overall approval rating.
Just 36 percent of Americans approve of Mr. Obama's handling of health care, according to the poll, conducted from Jan. 6 ? 10. Fifty-four percent disapprove. In December of last year, 42 percent of Americans approved of the president?s handling of health care, and 47 percent approved in October.
Yet things could be worse: With Democrats in Congress continuing to negotiate the terms of their comprehensive health care package, both Congressional Republicans and Democrats receive even lower marks than the president on the issue, the poll shows.

This story continues here. Read it and weep: Poll: Obama Health Care Marks Hit New Low - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

What the left fails to realize is that the large middleground of the American public know one thing for sure. When politicians huddle behind closed doors to make laws they're up to NO GOOD and out to screw the public...ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

Just an afterthought, but the left demonizes any poll that shows their guy in a bad light. It's a default behavior for them. They just can't seem to help themselves! In that vein..., of altruistically helping them...here is a good read regarding the much demonRATic maligned Rasmussen polling:
Patrick Caddell and Douglas E. Schoen: Don't Shoot the Pollster - WSJ.com

Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,943,245 times
I was referencing the most recent gallup poll on Jan 12th which has 49% in favor, 46% opposed.

Healthcare Bill Support Ticks Up; Public Still Divided

Old 01-15-2010, 05:22 PM

Default songgirl

Look at the chart showing how that was determined:

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/...1k7xrfcd-q.gif

The chart shows the original vote as:
37% FOR and 41% AGAINST

After being pressed to decide one way or the other most of the undecided went FOR making it:
49% FOR and 46% AGAINST

...but with 6%, within the margin of deciding, still non-committal.

Bottom line for this Gallup is that depending on whether they pressed the polling base, you got differing results. Sort of inconclusive. Almost as if you pressed to get a different response, though I'm NOT suggesting that was done here. The question is...Why press at all? Why not accept the initial response?

When you make a choice in the polling booth the machine doesn't say 'Are you sure about that?'

Valid point I'd say.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Default songgirl

Dont mean to be appear to be 'piling on' here, but I just took note of something I overlooked that should get you to thinking that it's a TWO-WAY STREET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl
As stated earlier, it appears that public support for this bill is about 50% at this point (give or take). Why are those who are opposed repeatedly saying that Americans don't want this bill when roughly 1/2 of us do?
I'm going to slightly rephrase the entire quote:

As stated earlier, it appears that public support for this bill is about 50% at this point (give or take). Why are those who are in favor of this bill repeatedly saying that Americans want this bill when roughly 1/2 of us do not want this bill?

Interesting huh?

Two sides to every story and BOTH need and deserve to be heard. Our side is angry about the process of being shut out. In so doing about half the population's interest is shut out.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:56 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
And their plan, according to all credible reports, is to try and ram it through the House and Senate before anyone – especially the American people – has a chance to learn what's in it.
Delightfully ironic. Not one "credible report" cited in your incredible post.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Default LogicIsYourFriend

...not a username that is apropos for you my friend. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo
And their plan, according to all credible reports, is to try and ram it through the House and Senate before anyone – especially the American people – has a chance to learn what's in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Read 'em 'n weep:

"The healthcare endgame will involve a game of legislative ping-pong between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and [COLOR=#005497 !important][COLOR=#005497 !important]Senate[/color][/color] Majority Leader Harry Reid, who have separately indicated the strategy they intend to use to pass the final bill is intended to box out not only the Republicans, but some Democrats who may have last-minute objections. Pelosi and Reid have apparently determined that private negotiations between leading Democrats on Capitol Hill, coupled with input from the White House, is the only way to write a final bill that can pass both chambers and that President Barack Obama will sign.
Source: Democrats’ Secrecy Fuels Health Reform Disapproval - Peter Roff (usnews.com)#
(Hardly a right-wing source)

and this

C-SPAN Challenges Democrats to Keep Campaign Promise
Posted on January 5, 2010 by kmorrison33
Some may remember that during the 2008 election then-Senator Obama promised that the health care reform debate would be televised on C-SPAN. C-SPAN is how holding Democrats to that promise.
C-SPAN CEO Brian Lamb last week wrote to Congressional leaders asking that they “open all important negotiations, including any conference committee meetings, to electronic media coverage” as the House and Senate work to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate health care reform bills.
“The C-SPAN networks will commit the necessary resources to covering all of these sessions LIVE and in their entirety,” Lamb wrote. “We will also, as we willingly do each day, provide C-SPAN’s multi-camera coverage to any interested member of the Capitol Hill broadcast pool.”
Lamb reminded the leaders that “President Obama, Senate and House leaders, many of your rank-and-file members, and the nation’s editorial pages have all talked about the value of transparent discussions on reforming the nation’s health care system. Now that the process moves to the critical stage of reconciliation between the Chambers, we respectfully request that you allow the public full access, through television, to legislation that will affect the lives of every single American.”
Specifically, then-Sen. Obama said on the campaign trail that “we’ll have the negotiations televised on C-SPAN, so the people can see who is making arguments on behalf of their constituents and who is making arguments on behalf of the drug companies or the insurance companies.”
Source: Purple People Vote
(Brian Lamb of C-SPAN, definitely a high-profile, right-wing idealogROTFLMAO)

And this

"One of the most momentous House-Senate negotiations in history shouldn't take place behind closed doors.
Yet that's what could happen when lawmakers meet with the Obama administration to reconcile different versions of the landmark $871 billion health-care reform bill, approved by the Senate on Christmas Eve." (story continues)
Source: Editorial: Open the debate | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/07/2010 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20100107_Editorial__Open_the_debate.html?viewAllLa test=y&text - broken link)=
(Another hardline right-wing source, huh!)
-----------------------------------------------------------
THREE STRIKES, bub! YOURRRR' RE OUT 'O HERE. Take a seat.

NEXT!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:10 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
...not a username that is apropos for you my friend. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Read 'em 'n weep:

"The healthcare endgame will involve a game of legislative ping-pong between House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and [COLOR=#005497 !important][COLOR=#005497 !important]Senate[/color][/color] Majority Leader Harry Reid, who have separately indicated the strategy they intend to use to pass the final bill is intended to box out not only the Republicans, but some Democrats who may have last-minute objections. Pelosi and Reid have apparently determined that private negotiations between leading Democrats on Capitol Hill, coupled with input from the White House, is the only way to write a final bill that can pass both chambers and that President Barack Obama will sign.
Source: Democrats’ Secrecy Fuels Health Reform Disapproval - Peter Roff (usnews.com)#
(Hardly a right-wing source)

and this

C-SPAN Challenges Democrats to Keep Campaign Promise
Posted on January 5, 2010 by kmorrison33
Some may remember that during the 2008 election then-Senator Obama promised that the health care reform debate would be televised on C-SPAN. C-SPAN is how holding Democrats to that promise.
C-SPAN CEO Brian Lamb last week wrote to Congressional leaders asking that they “open all important negotiations, including any conference committee meetings, to electronic media coverage” as the House and Senate work to reconcile the differences between the House and Senate health care reform bills.
“The C-SPAN networks will commit the necessary resources to covering all of these sessions LIVE and in their entirety,” Lamb wrote. “We will also, as we willingly do each day, provide C-SPAN’s multi-camera coverage to any interested member of the Capitol Hill broadcast pool.”
Lamb reminded the leaders that “President Obama, Senate and House leaders, many of your rank-and-file members, and the nation’s editorial pages have all talked about the value of transparent discussions on reforming the nation’s health care system. Now that the process moves to the critical stage of reconciliation between the Chambers, we respectfully request that you allow the public full access, through television, to legislation that will affect the lives of every single American.”
Specifically, then-Sen. Obama said on the campaign trail that “we’ll have the negotiations televised on C-SPAN, so the people can see who is making arguments on behalf of their constituents and who is making arguments on behalf of the drug companies or the insurance companies.”
Source: Purple People Vote
(Brian Lamb of C-SPAN, definitely a high-profile, right-wing idealogROTFLMAO)

And this

"One of the most momentous House-Senate negotiations in history shouldn't take place behind closed doors.
Yet that's what could happen when lawmakers meet with the Obama administration to reconcile different versions of the landmark $871 billion health-care reform bill, approved by the Senate on Christmas Eve." (story continues)
Source: Editorial: Open the debate | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/07/2010 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20100107_Editorial__Open_the_debate.html?viewAllLa test=y&text - broken link)=
(Another hardline right-wing source, huh!)
-----------------------------------------------------------
THREE STRIKES, bub! YOURRRR' RE OUT 'O HERE. Take a seat.

NEXT!
Was that so hard? I merely pointed out no source in your post.

And I do think the final debates should be televised.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Default LogicIMyFriend

Okay! You'll excuse me if I mixed you in among those who are abruptly intolerant and dismissive. I jumped the gun, as it were, anticipating yet another 'hostile' Oba-maniac grovelling at my door.

It's almost impossible when composing such an in-depth piece, to validate each and every assertion with a footnote source, so I erred in that specific instance. Possibly in some others also.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 853 times
It's time to find an alternative party to vote into office...clearly both parties are in trouble, they have both have shown they don't have the ability to run the country anymore. This is way out of control....last night I heard a woman on one of the talk radio shows crying because she lost her health care due to a precondition her son had and he's 7 years old with major illnesses. These were the same members of the congress who stood up in front of capital hill for a photo opt just yesterday around a bunch of kids and she lost her job....I'm not voting anymore and plan to go to a country that cares (maybe france)...I'm a veteran...send those tea baggers to Iraq (green zone)...24 hrs of that and they'll be singing a different tune...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies