Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times

Advertisements

There is a new fashion trend among 5-6 year old girls in this country that is drawing harsh criticism among not only sectors of the public, but the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons and physicians in general as well.

Suri Cruise, age 3 1/2 in High heels.

Quote:
The San Francisco Bay area is pretty fashion forward, so it's not unusual to see girls that young wearing heels. Fein says they've helped her daughter learn to walk like a lady. "They're definitely not suggestive at all. Suggestive to me is inappropriate."
Quote:
Michael Penrod... says adult styles began surfacing in children's footwear a decade ago. While manufacturers do offer heels in sizes small enough to possibly fit a 3-year-old, stores are more likely to carry sizes meant from age 5 and up.
Quote:
The phenom falls in line with other trends in clothing, books, music and movies once reserved for older audiences trickling down the age ladder. Unlike other trends, heels pose physical risks that include a tightening of the heel cord and changes in the growth plate.
As the parent of a 7 year old girl, I am appalled that any parent would allow their young daughter to wear footwear designed for adult women. Not only the health risks posed by them, but the inappropriateness of high heels on young girls.
Suri Cruise Isn't Only Toddler Wearing High Heels, Doctors Warn of Dangers - Children's Health - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
You might know that would come out of San Francisco

Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
I seem to recall my daughters loving to put on their mother's heels. They did not however have their own.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
Girls dream of looking like Bratz dolls. I find that disturbing.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:48 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
In fairness Peggy, most young girls love to "dress up" But to your point, the images they see in their world do have an impact. The pressure to be like a Bratz or a Barbie is unrealistic indeed.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
The pressure on such young girls is crazy. My daughter is 6, and she always asks for high-heels. My work-around is to take her to a store such as TJMaxx, and she spends half an hour trying on all the ridiculously high heels, walking around, admiring herself. It's cheap entertainment, and she gets it out of her system. There are girls in her class that wear thong underwear sticking out their low-riser jeans. I just don't get it. I really don't know why people would want their girls growing up so quickly, I certainly don't. And while I am still able to be the fashion police, I will be because I know it gets more difficult as they get older.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The pressure on such young girls is crazy. My daughter is 6, and she always asks for high-heels. My work-around is to take her to a store such as TJMaxx, and she spends half an hour trying on all the ridiculously high heels, walking around, admiring herself. It's cheap entertainment, and she gets it out of her system. There are girls in her class that wear thong underwear sticking out their low-riser jeans. I just don't get it. I really don't know why people would want their girls growing up so quickly, I certainly don't. And while I am still able to be the fashion police, I will be because I know it gets more difficult as they get older.
6-year olds wearing thongs? They make them in that size?

I am SO glad I'm never having kids.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Girls dream of looking like Bratz dolls. I find that disturbing.
I concur. It really does disturb me too to see little girls trying to look like teens or even like adult women. The sexualisation of children is not going in the right direction as a society.

We are raising kids who think only about image not about substance, and who think that being famous and a celebrity is more worthwhile than being a scientist or a surgeon .

I find this pervading trend of making children into little copies of ourselves quite repellent.

And yes as someone mentions all little girls love to dress up. I used to love to. But at the end of the day it was just "play" not reality. The idea of giving a child heels ( for a start how bad is that purely on medical grounds for tiny developing feet) or suggestive nightwear, lingerie ( yes I have seen it in shops) and tiny versions of adult womenswear is insane and dangerous.

First we are sexualising our children then we we are giving rather mixed messages to perverts that kids are actually older than they are because of the way they dress and thus cannot be abused.

Dressing up in Mommy's clothes at home and dressing up like Mommy outside the house whilst wearing make up are two different things.

Kinds need to retain their innocence and this is going to be stripped away from them by the greed and clever marketing manipulations of certain corporations.

I see so many girls of 11, 12, 13 here in the UK who look not only like 20 year olds but also like hookers. How this could be anything other than a step backward is beyond me.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
6-year olds wearing thongs? They make them in that size?

I am SO glad I'm never having kids.
Oh yeah. A range of children's lingerie was withdrawn in the UK because it was deemed too provocative and I have seen tiny thongs in kiddies' sizes saying things like "s l u t" and " sexy". Really, really scary.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You might know that would come out of San Francisco
I have no idea what that even means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies