Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
good grief
people here have now and always will be moved to come to the aid of others
in the wake of something so huge and overwhelming and heart wrenching
of course people want to do something
if you want to be resentful, then hang on to it
personally I try to help with what is in front of me to the best of my ability
if you think these people are "not our own" then I really feel sorry for you
being "our own" does not stop at a border or an ocean or a desert
if you can watch a man carry his dead child through the streets of complete and total devastation and then say what you say
wow, I really feel sorry for you
Cry me a river. I never said I was against the aid. I said that I am against the expectation that the USA must always be first, fastest, biggest, responder
And no Haitians are not our own. Just as cubans, Chinese, French Germans, brittish or any other nation is not our own.
We have homeless people here in our own country that would love to see this kind of frantic energy directed at them.
Yes help Haiti. But no we don't need to be the big brother to the world. Nor do we need to be the worlds ambulance.
Feel sorry for me? No feel sorry for your fellow Americans who are starving and sleeping in a card board box tonight. Our own is just that, US citizens.
Can I watch a man carry his dead child and feel no compassion? NO. Unlike some I have actually been in these places during such times.
How can you feel more compassion for foreigners than our own who are equally desperate for help? Thats what I wonder. And no I don't feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for the child sleeping in a car tonight in some slum in DC or Baltimore or Philidelphia or any other place in this country. I feel sorry for the Haitians. My priority is Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:52 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I feel sorry for the Haitians. My priority is Americans.
Yeah, that's why you support national/one payer health care....

Old 01-14-2010, 03:59 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
It is despicable how some people harp on Obama's every move. It is obvious that he can do nothing right in some peoples' eyes. In the wake of such a distaster, you should be ashamed of yoursleves for attempting to politicize this and use it as another Obama bashing opportunity. Shame on you for being so insensitive and putting your hatred toward the president above humanity!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yep. The world supposedly hates us but all be damned if they don't want us around when the you-know-what hits the fan.
Sad realty, and some don't like the truth, we are hated worldwide, but when there is destruction taking place in another Country, what Country doesn't want us around then. They can damn us, hate us, want to destroy everything about us, but when their is such a Disaster, as what just took place, you beta, those who hate us, now want us coming to their aide. Sad but true, i have friends who travel the world, think we're liked, talk to them for about an hour, you will change your mind. We should be proud of the fact that the U.S. is such a COMPASSIONATE NATION, and we are part of that.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The US has always responded well to things like this as far as the governamnt but even mopre is done by indivdual citizens stepping upo to teh plate.But things take time as i learned in Rita because it takes time to get the contractors moving and difficulty in doing it with loacl officals. I urge athose in the US to respond as individauls just as in the past. If you cazn give that is fine because even with the unemployemnt there are those of us who can to this life threatening emergency.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Yeah, that's why you support national/one payer health care....
ROFLMAO ok so now if you don't agree with Obama care its because you don't care about Americans.
I don't like Obamacare because anything big Gov touches normally costs 3 times more than they estimated and is poorly managed. Why? Because politicians always hook up their buddies whose primary mission is to rape the tax payer for every dime they can get.
Another reason. The VA hospital is an example of Gov managed healthcare. I wouldn't take the neighbors dog to the VA hospital for care.
Your logic sounds a lot like the NEO Cons logic. If you don't support the war then you hate our soldiers and don't care about our country.
Hardliners. You always make me laugh. Thank you I needed a laugh.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yep. The world supposedly hates us but all be damned if they don't want us around when the you-know-what hits the fan.
Oh so true. But not only that. We better be the biggest spenders to boot. Oh and yeah you guys better donate the most soldiers and equipment too.
LOL When the world isn't trying to use us as the worlds police force they want us to be the worlds ambulance.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Interesting... where's the rest of world coming to the rescue that Obama apologized to.

Obama says US stands with Haiti, pledges $100M aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_haiti_earthquake - broken link)
More importantly, where is he going to get $100M?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
More importantly, where is he going to get $100M?
Uhmmmm China?

Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Interesting... where's the rest of world coming to the rescue that Obama apologized to.

Obama says US stands with Haiti, pledges $100M aid - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100114/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_us_haiti_earthquake - broken link)
Some 40 nations are on the way including us, Canada, Jamaica, Cuba, Mexico, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Barbados, England, France, Austrailia, Aruba, Grenada, St Lucia, Australia and many more. Thanks to the LEADERSHIP of President Obama they are ALL on the way there!

Major quake rocks Haiti, many nations ready with assistance_English_Xinhua
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies