Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times

Advertisements

When people on forums like these comment or inquire about crime rates, school test scores, and percent of kids on free school lunches, in different places is this often racist code speak for "how ethnic" those places are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
No because you can easily find out the ethnic make up of any school on numerous websites you don't need to speak in "code".

Old 01-14-2010, 02:27 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
When people on forums like these comment or inquire about crime rates, school test scores, and percent of kids on free school lunches, in different places is this often racist code speak for "how ethnic" those places are?
Are you assuming that test scores, crime rates and socio-economic status are tied to ethnicity??

Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you assuming that test scores, crime rates and socio-economic status are tied to ethnicity??
I think a lot of people probably make that correlation and that it's worth having an honest and open discussion about it.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
No.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Couldn't they be genuinely interested in safety and their child's education?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
To answer your question honestlly, where I live there is a close correlation, yes. I assume that would be true in many other urban areas. I live in a very ethnically diverse area with excellent public schools, one of the best systems in the nation, and yet a lot of white parents send their kids to private schools, which seems strange.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
To answer your question honestlly, where I live there is a close correlation, yes. I assume that would be true in many other urban areas. I live in a very ethnically diverse area with excellent public schools, one of the best systems in the nation, and yet a lot of white parents send their kids to private schools, which seems strange.
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting that they schools are excellent because they are diverse? And why would white parents not want to send their kids to schools that are rated so highly? That does seem strange to me.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you suggesting that they schools are excellent because they are diverse? And why would white parents not want to send their kids to schools that are rated so highly? That does seem strange to me.
The schools are excellent because we have great teachers, small class sizes, excellent facilities and extra-curricular programs and good parental involvement. The schools are very well funded and a lot of the students end up going to good universities. However, it's frustrating to hear them run down because the test scores aren't as high as in other less diverse areas, mainly because we have more kids from challenging home environments or who have difficulty with English because they're recent immigrants. I suspect that the reason some parents don't send their kids there is they want them in a homogeneous (read all white) environment and they're afraid their kids will fall in with what they perceive as "the wrong element". They seem to be the same ones I hear worried about "gangs", which if they existed probably wouldn't even want their kids involved with them.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Two words for you --- white trash. And heres two more for you -- meth lab.

Crime comes in all ethnicities and I don't think its racist or whatever to want to live in a safer neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies