Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I love Jefferson, but since reading a book about John Adams, I've really come to admire him. You really get a taste of what the FF went through to declare this nation. Heck, maybe I should run for POTUS! I know more than Sarah.
John Adams was in Britain at the time of the Convention as our ambassador to England and Holland and didn't attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Emotionally, my response is Benjamin Franklin. He's quirky, and complicated, and witty, and just wonderful. But intellectually, I've always been drawn to Samuel Adams. He's so consistent throughout the entire struggle, and passionate. And he was such a hopeless businessman. So I'm torn.
Franklin was at the Convention but he slept a lot and was unable to attend all meetings from illness. He was 81 at the time and really just took up a seat. Samuel Adams wasn't selected by Massachusetts to be a representative to the Convention.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Who's your favorite Founding Father?

As a Black person I have to say whoever owned the fewest slaves
Ok, you can pick my man, Hamilton, since he wasn't a farmer and few people from the north, (NY) owned many slaves.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:29 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Thomas Paine wasn't one of the founders in that he wasn't at the Convention.Thomas Jefferson was in France at the time as ambassador to France.
George Washington would have been dead meat without Paine.

"The only founder of our country to, not only to not profit from the revolution, but who gave all the money earned from the publication of Common Sense, the best selling book in 1776, to support the revolution and George Washington's Army."

Thomas Paine's Legacy

He had other gigs going on.

"Despite not speaking French, he was elected to the French National Convention in 1792."

Thomas Paine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ceasar Rodney.
Did old Ceasar sign the document? I wondered because so many people have selected men who didn't take part in the writing of the document because they weren't there for a variety of reasons.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
John Jay.

He has provided hours of entertainment by insisting that "natural-born citizen" be put into the Constitution.
Not so, Gary. John Jay wasn't at the Convention although and no decision was made by the Supreme Court as to what natural born entailed. Until the 14th Amendment was passed there was never any definition of how citizenship was attained. The Constitution does mention citizens of both the United States and the states but says nothing about natural born. You might find that the 14th amendment created citizenship according to where born which is know as jus soli and was put in there to cover ex-slaves who had been born in the US.

Nope, John Jay wasn't at the convention and therefor didn't sign it and he never created natural born status. The 14th Amendment did that.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:47 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,889 times
Want to add Jefferson Davis to my list after Jefferson.

1. Thomas Jefferson

2. Jefferson Davis

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Want to add Jefferson Davis to my list after Jefferson.

1. Thomas Jefferson

2. Jefferson Davis
Old Jeff Davis may have been at a convention but it wasn't the one in 1787.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
George Washington would have been dead meat without Paine.

"The only founder of our country to, not only to not profit from the revolution, but who gave all the money earned from the publication of Common Sense, the best selling book in 1776, to support the revolution and George Washington's Army."

Thomas Paine's Legacy

He had other gigs going on.

"Despite not speaking French, he was elected to the French National Convention in 1792."

Thomas Paine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, Paine did all that but he wasn't at the Constitutional Convention and I consider those 55 men to be our founders. Many of the founders weren't a part of the framing of the Constitution. Jefferson, both Adams, and many others just weren't there.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did old Ceasar sign the document? I wondered because so many people have selected men who didn't take part in the writing of the document because they weren't there for a variety of reasons.
Caesar Rodney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To break that deadlock, Rodney rode eighty miles through a thunderstorm on the night of July 1, 1776, dramatically arriving in Philadelphia "in his boots and spurs" on July 2, just as the voting was beginning. He voted with McKean and thereby allowed Delaware to join eleven other states in voting in favor of the resolution of independence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies