Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times

Advertisements

Let's admit it...

Most of us migrate within USA for economic & cultural reasons...
The cultural factor is real & plays an important role in our decisions...
When so many couples in this forum desire "good schools "for their kids ,they actually mean to find children with the same social,economic & ideological background...
The "reds " want to find red people,the "blue "to find blue,
conservatives to find cons,liberals to find libs...

So,lets have your opinions on the cultural factor in migration,your experience from migrating ,if u found the kind of people u would like to associate with within your community or workplace...

This thread may present interesting comments...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
It doesn't bother me if my children go to a school with "reds" and people of other cultures so as long as it's a good school. A little knowledge on other people and other political idealogues is good. Trying to restrict them to one type of culture and one set of political beliefs is not healthy.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Actually I did not select the area I live in for the reasons you posted.
I selected the area because it is a safe small community environment where neighbors know each other and take care of one another. We watch out for each other and help when it is needed.
I didn't want my kids to grow up in a city or deal with pollution. I grew up in the country on a dairy farm. It was not an easy life but it prepared me for life in the big world. I learned that a strong work ethic will do more for you than anything else in life. I learned that if you didn't earn it then you don't deserve it. I learned that helping a neighbor when they are down is better than watching them hurt. I learned that talk is cheap. Doing is what matters. Thats probibly why I detest the UN as much as I do. The UN is hell on talking but pretty short on follow through.
In short I guess I picked an area where I have the room to breath and live my life they way I see fit. Yeah I am one of those bad people who lives on some acres of land. I hunt and fish grow my own veggies. LOL I even have my own pond.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Before selecting the area u reside now,did u check if the district is red or blue ?

Or just the statistics on crime...

Old 01-14-2010, 12:17 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I am retiring to Texas my native State, the home of my great grandfathers and the home of my siblings. Here I have land, space and freedom that I have not been able to have during a working career in cities. The old farm place had a lot of repairs (still does) but recently while burning a huge pile of tree limbs, old fence posts, old furniture, and other stuff resulting from a major cleanup, two of my neighbors came racing up the road to see if my barn or house was on fire. My decision to move to the rural area was at that moment confirmed. Had any of my homes in New Orleans, D.C., or even Albuquerque caught fire, I am quite sure some of my neighbors would have been quite happy to throw gasoline on them.

I did not seek seclusion from liberals as I have always been able to hold my own against such naivety, I just found it to be more and more like fighting fire ants.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM

U probably mean that in TX u found solidarity which was hard for u to find elsewhere...

Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
It is indeed nice to be "home."

Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
We purposely moved to a liberal city and wanted liberal, open minded neighbors and good schools. All because we're a gay couple with children. If we lived in some conservative suburb of say, Dallas, I guarantee we'd have problems with neighbors and our kids would have problems. Here, we're so accepted that I forget I'm gay. If we didn't have kids, it wouldn't be as much of an issue where we lived, but with kids comes major interaction with neighbors and we don't want them picked on just because of their parents.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:18 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
In short I guess I picked an area where I have the room to breath and live my life they way I see fit. Yeah I am one of those bad people who lives on some acres of land. I hunt and fish grow my own veggies. LOL I even have my own pond.
That sounds idyllic!!

I live where I do because my family is here. That is the ONLY reason. I'm not a fan of Illinois for many reasons (weather, politics, taxes, pollution, congestion, cost of living, corruption). The town I live in however, I picked for the schools and sense of community. It's very Mayberry-esque. Parents place a high value on education, and are typically very involved in their childrens' lives academically and socio-emotionally. I guess I wanted a town where the parents had similar values for their families as I do. It helps a lot as a parent to know that when your child comes home wanting to do "X", that the majority of the other kids in their class are also not allowed to do "X" (X being whatever inappropriate activity for kids).

Old 01-14-2010, 01:26 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
A great book on this topic is Bill Bishop's "The Big Sort". He explains how people are now segregating themselves by moving into areas where they perceive people are like themselves, politically, religously, and in how they raise their children. One funny thing he mentions is that researchers determined that Republicans have neater garages than Democrats. So if you want to know where you'd like to live from a political perspective, drive around and look in people's garages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies