Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,436,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post

I disagree. Code compliance is much less stringent in the mid-west in regard to enforcement of structural improvements to resist lateral displacement.

Most recognized published building codes seperate earthquake resistant design from the rest of the building code. For this reason, select areas, typically California adopts enforcement of these sections while most other places in the country do not.
I said MO, you said "the mid-west". Since 1992 all Model Codes have included seismic design components, and most state and local governments adopt the full Model Codes to prevent the need to write their own from scratch. While some states elect to view the seismic sections as optional, Missouri, does in fact, have a comprehensive seismic design requirement, as do Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Though written in lay-person's terms, here is the cite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:34 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I said MO, you said "the mid-west". Since 1992 all Model Codes have included seismic design components, and most state and local governments adopt the full Model Codes to prevent the need to write their own from scratch. While some states elect to view the seismic sections as optional, Missouri, does in fact, have a comprehensive seismic design requirement, as do Arkansas, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Though written in lay-person's terms, here is the cite.
I think you like to argue Jill. I mean, what do I know, I am just an Architect.

Most jurisdictions do adopt one of the model building codes as the baseline for their codes. They also supplement these codes with additional ordinances adopted locally and enforced through the building permit process. However, this doesn't mean that the code is a one size fits all for all locations inside the US when using the model.

Just like frost depth determining foundation requirements, or wind and temperature averages determining wall construction and thickness, earthquake design in the model building codes are different based on the area of adoption. Thus, a model code utilized in California has different requirements all around than say constructing the same exact building in Nebraska.

From the "get knowledge quick" article you posted; the states may be enforcing some seismic design requirements based on either an individual model code or a state or municiple code implemented at various levels of government.

This doesn't however mean that they are implementing standards which meet or exceed design requirements for buildings in California. Though it is possible that buildings in one specific place in Missouri may be designed for seismic activity moreso than a building in a specific location in California, your earlier quote was inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
My father is a structural and civil engineer in MO, and I can assure you, the building codes are absolutely as strong as in CA.
I simply disagreed with this sentence.

[SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4][SIZE=4]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 01-18-2010, 04:41 PM

211 posts, read 816,463 times
The fault line ran thru the capital, Port au Prince, that's why. Dominican Republic has mobilized their troops on the border to make sure the Haitians don't over run their side of the island (Hispanola).

Old 01-22-2010, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,541 times
nvxplorer - your attitude is exceptionally condescending. Not everyone is well-versed in how extensive an earthquake epicenter can reach - especially for a quake of such magnitude. And with the island of Hispaniola not all that sizeable, I don't find it all that absurd to ask why the Dominican Republic appeared unscathed. There were still category IV tremors across all the island. I suggest you tone down your attitude when responding to people who are just trying to understand what has happened in Haiti. I work for a Government organization full of rescue workers who were trying to assess the amount of damage in the DR, as it would not be unlikely. In short, get some humility.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 11,752 times
Hello, I just tumble into this discusion while searching on google.

I am Dominican but I live in Jersey, USA.

There was an earthquake in the northen part of DR in 2003, it was registered at 6.5 and lasted like, 30 seconds.

Here are some pictures of that quake, the distruction was not nearly as bad as it was in haiti.

http://www.puertoplati.com/read_write/image//IMG_0045.jpg (broken link)

http://www.puertoplati.com/read_write/image//IMG_0070.jpg (broken link)

http://www.puertoplati.com/read_write/image//MVC-006F.jpg (broken link)

http://www.puertoplati.com/read_write/image//IMG_0063.jpg (broken link)

http://www.puertoplati.com/read_write/image//Img_0082.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-23-2010, 09:27 PM

The day of the quake, I called down there and was told it was felt pretty strong for at least 30 seconds, nothing happened but it caused quite a scare in the population.

Obviously, the cities there have a much rigid construction code and infraestructure, The Dominican embassy in Port-Au-Prince was build in the 40's by Dominican president Trujillo, with the same building codes and materials as those build in the DR, and suffered minor damages.

Picture of the Capital Santo Domingo.

Last edited by Vtroy; 01-23-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM

Old 01-25-2010, 03:13 PM

35 posts, read 98,410 times
did hillary say she flew to haiti??

Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 692 times
The earthquake was centered on the Haiti side. Look for a map on the internet.

[url=http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/01/poor-building-codes-perfect-storm-earthquake-led-to-massive-destruction-quake-experts-say.html]Poor building codes, perfect-storm earthquake led to massive destruction in Haiti, experts say - latimes.com[/url]

QED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies