Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times

Advertisements

I don't recall any of the US news networks showing many bodies after Katrina. A few photos in news magazines but nothing off the top of my head was shown on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,292,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Because in a natural disaster we cannot help the death and destruction, but of course, in war, we have chosen to kill - and be killed.

It's a guilt thing, I think.

20yrsinBranson
Act of God vs act of Cheney?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:33 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Because we caused the war deaths, either directly or indirectly, and we'd rather not be troubled to think about that.
My dog just took a dump on the patio while reading your post. He typically goes out in the grass. Does this make you indirectly responsible for this?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,074,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So I've been watching coverage of the unbelievable tragedy in Haiti. The destruction is overwhelming in those neighborhoods. There are dead bodies everywhere, and they are being shown on TV. I think that it is important that we see those images. I think it's important that the story be told.

It makes me wonder why the networks will show dead bodies when a natural disaster strikes, but not when the dead bodies are the result of war? We've seen plenty of news coverage of war over the past 8 years, but relatively few images of the resulting death. Why is that?

Showing dead bodies of our servicemen would be fodder for our enemies.

3,857 posts, read 6,944,519 times
Journalists won't be embedded long if they start taking photos of war dead. A US journalist was recently in deep doo-doo for taking photos of medics working on a wounded US solider who subsequently died.

The image of a dying U.S. soldier has sparked a furious debate over the Afghan war which has divided America | Mail Online

12,711 posts, read 13,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
It makes me wonder why the networks will show dead bodies when a natural disaster strikes, but not when the dead bodies are the result of war? We've seen plenty of news coverage of war over the past 8 years, but relatively few images of the resulting death. Why is that?
Because we caused the war deaths, either directly or indirectly, and we'd rather not be troubled to think about that.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,771,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Showing dead bodies of our servicemen would be fodder for our enemies.
What about the dead bodies of our enemies? They don't hardly show that either.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,771,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Journalists won't be embedded long if they start taking photos of war dead. A US journalist was recently in deep doo-doo for taking photos of medics working on a wounded US solider who subsequently died.

The image of a dying U.S. soldier has sparked a furious debate over the Afghan war which has divided America | Mail Online
Very interesting. So do you think the photos/video isn't even taken? I've always wondered if the images exists and aren't shown, or if the photographers are not supposed to take the footage in the first place?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
All the photos are being sent to D*ck Cheney.
When will you people stop whining about Dick Cheney?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,764,991 times
I think if the news showed dead bodies more often, we would benefit as a society. Most of us can use some sobering of thought, and seeing real dead bodies definitely brings a sense of sobriety and realism along with the images (or at least it does to me). In our pride and illusion, we often forget that we will all look like that one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies