Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
A few years ago she had to go to court to block someone from producing little statues of the image for sale. Can you imagine?
That's just gross. Why would ANYONE want a statue of that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So I've been watching coverage of the unbelievable tragedy in Haiti. The destruction is overwhelming in those neighborhoods. There are dead bodies everywhere, and they are being shown on TV. I think that it is important that we see those images. I think it's important that the story be told.

It makes me wonder why the networks will show dead bodies when a natural disaster strikes, but not when the dead bodies are the result of war? We've seen plenty of news coverage of war over the past 8 years, but relatively few images of the resulting death. Why is that?
When you've got morons who are saying that God is punishing Hatti, and another moron suggesting that we shouldn't help them, and that the only reason we are is for political gain, we really do need to show the real devastation thats there.

Why don't they show pictures of soldiers bodies coming home? Well, part of it is family wishes, which is fine. Part of it was under the Bush administration, who ruled out the practice, because it would increase war fatigue at home.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
So I've been watching coverage of the unbelievable tragedy in Haiti. The destruction is overwhelming in those neighborhoods. There are dead bodies everywhere, and they are being shown on TV. I think that it is important that we see those images. I think it's important that the story be told.

It makes me wonder why the networks will show dead bodies when a natural disaster strikes, but not when the dead bodies are the result of war? We've seen plenty of news coverage of war over the past 8 years, but relatively few images of the resulting death. Why is that?
I wonder the same. The media has censored the footage of people jumping to their deaths on 9/11.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I almost posted a similar question yesterday. It seems the US media has no problem showing dead bodies as long as they are not Americans.
I JUST looked at a video from NBC news and was struck by the same thought. I didn't see gruesome bodies, but I did see bodies, and arms sticking out of rubble/broken legs belonging to what I suppose were dead people.

Sadly, I do believe that you're correct.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I've seen pictures & also footage of dead bodies after suicide bombings. For instance, the one that just happened at a graduation in Somalia.
But probably not on a MSM site. IMO, you probably had to dig for that although I could be wrong wedjat.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:04 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:

I think we all know the real answer to this. Seeing dead and maimed bodies invokes sadness, sorrow, and feelings of grief.

Scientist believe this to be due to mirror neurons in humans. Just as when most of us see someone smash their finger with a hammer, we cringe as we can sense and relate what pain others must feel and it is strong enough to cause a reaction in ourselves, even if watched on places like TV or in movies. It is also believed that the lack of mirror neuron stimulation is what allows serial killers and psychopaths to kill without remorse, regret, or feeling.

If the American people actually saw dead bloated bodies in the streets of Iraq, empty skulls with brains leaking on the curb or children with missing limbs on the news each night, the war would have been over now. It may have never been started.

It is to the benefit to those who would wage war to depict it as a video game, devoid of reality to everyone but the soldiers, fighters and civilians who are there. If the bulk of American society saw the realities of war, most would want nothing to do with it unless it was a matter of absolute survival.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,405 times
Quote:
We've seen plenty of news coverage of war over the past 8 years, but relatively few images of the resulting death. Why is that?
I have seen images of the resulting deaths, just not Americans. No American dead bodies? Film away.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
I can see that.

But should we, as a people, not know what we have done? Aren't we too sanitized from what war really is: killing other humans?

Maybe you don't see what's the most important. It's the big boys that send OTHER PEOPLE (our soldiers) into war who are bound to following orders. Aiding in getting more of them killed or tortured will accomplish nothing for anyone but the enemy.

In this war more muslims are killing muslims yet we really do not see pictures of those bodies. I am sure it is for the same reason. Taget the big guys. Conservatives do not necsssarily support war. They support our troops.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I wonder the same. The media has censored the footage of people jumping to their deaths on 9/11.
I saw it. In 2003 there was a special on 9/11 on A&E maybe? Can't remember what the channel was, however they showed not only people jumping out of the towers but also there were pictures of those splatted bodies on the ground...those bodies looked like ground up meat. And I also saw those people jumping even before that special was on.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
But probably not on a MSM site. IMO, you probably had to dig for that although I could be wrong wedjat.
I don't remember where I saw it, maybe CNN? I honestly don't remember, what I remember was someone was taping a man talking at the graduation ceremony & they kind of panned over the room, then went back to the guy talking & then there was the explosion & the camera went out. Then the next footage was of bodies outside the door & I think they may have shown some bodies inside the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies