Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
That said, Obama is NOT doing a good job with the Economy he inherited. The blame Bush days are over. The Obama/Bernanke combination is MUCH worse than Bush/Greenspan. The deficits are much larger and the interest rates much lower than B/G. These facts are irrefutable. In addition, taxes and regulations are much higher than the Bush Admin. Obama is KILLING the Economy.
Oh, give it a rest. The deficits are larger on two accounts, both eminating directly from the economic collapse that Obama's predecessor -- the guy you supported at the time -- both brought about and then failed to come to grips with. These are declining revenues due to pluimmetting consumer and business demand, and modest increases in government spending which hope to help replace with government demand that which has gone missing from consumers and businesses. The modest spending has resulted in modest gains -- at least in comparison to the magnitude of the problem -- about a million jobs and about 3.0 percentage points of GDP growth as of the thrid quarter.

The current federal funds rate target is essentially zero. It was already at zero when Obama was inaugurated, down from 4.25 at the start of the recession and from 5.25 at its late 2006 early 2007 peak. This is what a global economic collapse will do. Your taxes have been CUT and so have those on businesses, both small and large. There has been no rollout of new regulation of any sort, although we will get a much-needed package of revised financial regulations at some point in the first half of this year.

In brief then, get a clue about the actual state of the world before going off and whining over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Oh, give it a rest. The deficits are larger on two accounts, both eminating directly from the economic collapse that Obama's predecessor -- the guy you supported at the time -- both brought about and then failed to come to grips with. These are declining revenues due to pluimmetting consumer and business demand, and modest increases in government spending which hope to help replace with government demand that which has gone missing from consumers and businesses. The modest spending has resulted in modest gains -- at least in comparison to the magnitude of the problem -- about a million jobs and about 3.0 percentage points of GDP growth as of the thrid quarter.
Modest spending? Are you referring to 0bama's trillions of dollars in deficit spending?

Look to the "G" in GDP, the 3.0 percentage increases in GDP were heavily weighted by federal government spending.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thank you, Saganista. I am glad some provides some sanity on this forum. Thanks again.
I second that

Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Thank you, Saganista. I am glad some provides some sanity on this forum. Thanks again.
Once again, thanks for the sensible posts.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I found the following description:
A "Cadillac" or "gold-plated" insurance plan is expensive coverage, usually defined by the total cost of premiums, rather than what the insurance plan covers or how much the patient has to pay for a doctor or hospital visit.

People who have Cadillac plans often have low deductibles and excellent benefits that cover even the most expensive treatments, but this is not always the case. Premium costs can be high for reasons other than generous benefits, including the age, gender and health status of the customer. In an employer-based plan, premiums are based on the pooled risk of employees and may be higher if many of the employees are sick, older, female or live in a region with expensive health costs.
Also, from an earlier post:
The proposed thresholds for taxing health plans will be raised from $23,000 to $24,000 for families and from $8,500 to $8,900 for individuals.
For example, if you pay $10,000 for your self-only health care insurance, you would pay a tax of $440. That's 10,000 minus the limit of 8,900 = 1100, and 40% of 1100 is 440.

If you pay up to $24,000 for family coverage, you pay no tax. For any amount you pay that's over $24,000, you pay 40% of that amount in tax.

In 2010, the total premiums for my self-only plan will come to $6,458.88, so I would not be subject to the tax.
Psshh. So much for not taxing anybody under $250k. What a bold faced LIAR. This president is the biggest disgrace we've ever had.

I'm still waiting for those small business tax cuts president a__hole promised as well.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:07 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
You're welcome.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
I was aghast to hear more political cronyism and political paybacks in the Health Care Reform debate today.

The Obama Administration is proposing that organized labor be given an excemption from paying the tax on Cadillac Health Plans until 2018...

All other Americans will be subject to the tax - and from what I see - it is NOT indexed to inflation - so as time goes by - more and more middle-class non-union people will fall prey to it..

This simply STINKS!!!

I am disgusted how bribes are being paid to special interest groups, or only certain states (like Louisiana and Nebraska) to BUY their support for this sham...

It is so watered down now that it will do nothing to contain costs, and the benefits under the plan will be heavily skewed towards Obama supporters.

Is this the kind of new government we were promised - one that would show no favoratism to special interest groups or the rich and powerful? Is this the kind of change we wanted???

I think not...

I urge everyone to write their US Senator and Congressman to vote against this partisan and worthless reform bill.
Pays to be a Union member!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Pays to be a Union member!
until you lose your job

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The facts are. that 0bama and his democrat bagmen and extortionists, are using taxpayer money to carry out bribes, kickbacks and paybacks to the tune of billions of taxpayer dollars.
Yes we can! ...dupe the fools.

Quote:
But, if you were a partisan, it would be just fine with you.
Well, you know... people are loathe to admit they've been played for fools. It's embarrassing...

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
And that's ok with you people? Why should they be treated differently than any other person. More corruption and payback for getting obama elected.
I think it will be challenged in the courts. It is a can of worms and the one plus side to this shakedown is our left leaning democratic friends last night were beginning to sweat a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies