Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:12 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times

Advertisements

Nigeria
South Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My impression is that non-black intervention is almost always required in order to provide stability to a society. Haiti is a prime example.

Other opinions?
Barbados is right behind the USA and Canada in the Western Hemisphere as far as high standard of living and literacy rates.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Jamaica mon.
I and I agree, CAVA. Time for some Blue Mountain coffee. The Virgin Islands come to mind, as well. It seems to depend on which major power colonized the country. In South Africa it was said that blacks were too childlike to run their own country; until Nelson Mandela proved them wrong. Zanzibar is another good example.
People should look up Timbuktu; there have been great societies in Africa besides the Egyptians.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post

I wonder if we will see the day when a densely populated black country (such as Nigeria, or Ethiopia) gets rich by exporting human capital. S. Korea, Taiwan, Japan......These countries were not going to get rich off of natural resources. They had too many people. Instead, they utilized those people's brains and developed rapidly. Haiti has had 200 years to do that. I doubt its going to happen anytime soon.
S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, did not come to be developed on their own. S. Korea was once even worse off than the North, until they were reorganised by the West. Japan was virtually rebuilt from the bottom up under American supervision. Hong Kong belonged to the British until very recently. All of the wealthy Asian countries are wealthy because they had direct intervention by the West or adopted Western economic systems(China).

One could simply Google for this information. This thread is just another not-so-transparent attempt by the usual suspects to revive discussions that they have in every other thread anyway but at the same time bemoan how suppressed their opinions are by the pc hegemony.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
You need to know this before you get too carried away: All the successful black countries (Bermuda, Bahamas, Jamaica, South Africa) are based on the British or European system. No one is saying Whites are morally superior, just that their system is the best in terms of maintaining rule-of-law, relative equality, freedom, and prosperity. You don't have to be a Stormfronter to know that. It's glaringly obvious with full empirical facts, evidence, with plenty of data and postcard pictures.

You're attacking the OP using reasons that have nothing to do with the topic.

If you ask me what the white man's modernization (used now by China and India to pollute) has done to the planet earth, well, then it is the most destructive of all.

Tribal people know more about how to co-exist with mother nature and preserve wildlife than any ecologist.
The British former colonies are in the best shape, but I think it's also because when the British empire came to be, it was at a certain point in European history, post medieval, post Renassaince so that the mindset was different.

Not that all was wonderful, but the preparation of the colony was best done by the Brits so that self-rule was feasible. Being a former colony in itself isn't so bad because the USA itself is one.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The British former colonies are in the best shape, but I think it's also because when the British empire came to be, it was at a certain point in European history, post medieval, post Renassaince so that the mindset was different.

Not that all was wonderful, but the preparation of the colony was best done by the Brits so that self-rule was feasible. Being a former colony in itself isn't so bad because the USA itself is one.

I do agree with you. Just look at Hong Kong. When China got it back in '97, it created it as a separate territory to preserve it! Good thing otherwise it would've been invaded by the mainland hordes. China just didn't want to mess it up and it's good they didn't.

The reason India is doing well now (compared to Haiti) has a lot to do with it being under British rule for 200 yrs.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Nigeria
South Africa
Nigeria had many dictator since independence. People are poor despite the oil wealth.
South Africa has the highest HIV rates in Africa.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:09 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
My impression is that non-black intervention is almost always required in order to provide stability to a society. Haiti is a prime example.

Other opinions?
Answer to thread heading, Bermuda comes to mind because it's predominantly black and thriving. Thing is, they are not sovereign nation, and if not for English territory structure, would they be thriving? Unknown.

Territories cut loose... Bahamas are doing much better economically than most, but when no mans lands are established for tourists... are they really doing well? Jamaica has had political violence in my lifetime, they're doing much better, but like bahamas have no mans lands. The below link doesn't report those kind of on the ground answers.

Ethnicity and Race by Countries — Infoplease.com

The advisories only come when extreme events are afoot, but a gist of on the ground can be found below if you choose by country search.
Current Travel Warnings
I have never seen american consulate ever admit that the gov't they're reporting about has any degree of corruption going on. Taboo subject, can't put it in writing without offending. You'll learn more about corruption in carribean in a jimmy buffett tune than your gov't. Maybe consumers union should have a new category, the post script to state dept reports.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I don't know why this topic should be off limits for debate as some suggest. I'm quite sure we could find some majority black countries doing ok and we could probably find some majority white countries that are not doing ok.

However, it seems as though there are many majority black countries that are a mess and might be considered third world. Most majority white countries are first world. This is another way of saying that the average majority white country is doing much better than the average majority black country.

I can't think of any reason why this topic should be exempt from discussion in this forum. This is a fact. The reasons for it are extremely controversial. If you're going to get your panties in a wad then just skip this thread. Simple.

- Reel
I didn't take the OP wrong, I agree. I would say I'd disagree with how people measure the success of a sovereign by GDP, when the vital criteria is orderly/ stable. Competing with the joneses mentality presumes all things should be measured by capitalism. That's culturally conceited.

Your bolded portion... I think about Africa, how much upheaval and instability going on as long as middle east? My theory about Africa is that their cultures prior to colonization were more like native american, where the concept of owning land wasn't etched in stone the way it is with westerners. Loose tribal structures, limited size kept things more orderly. There was no such thing as pre colonialization history of africa courses in my college years. Maybe something changed, I don't know, but I think it should be investigated as a subject. I find it no small coincidence that so many imperialist nations were able to assert themselves. English, Dutch, French, and Spanish had their piece of the continent, which suggests there was little to no cohesion or unity happening in Africa prior to their plunder.

I've often wondered if slavery wasn't already an integral part of their way of life when africans were selling their fellow africans to white outsiders. Did they not recognize morality? Maybe someday someone will flesh out a better understanding. African history is too vague. To say they're worse off after colonial policies presumes we knew anything prior to them.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Actually you're wrong. The USA is a former colony, as is Canada, Australia and so on, colonization also brings economic prosperity but it seems that the former British colonies for the most part succeed much better than colonies of other nations.

Barbados for example is doing quite well and is a former British colony just like the USA, Canada, Australia are. Haiti was a colony of France which did not do much for it's colonies and the former colonies of Spain are not in great shape for the most part.

Zimbabwe, Sudan and Pakistan used to be former UK depencies but now are [MOD CUT/language] countries.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-18-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies