Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,069,336 times

Advertisements

Ne·groid (ngroid) Anthropology
adj.
Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa. See Usage Note at race1.
n.
A member of this racial classification.

Why the shame? It is a classification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 AM

873 posts, read 1,797,856 times
I think the U.S. govt. should send a mailing out to U.S. citizens on a yearly basis and tell us all what the politically correct term for "negro" is for that particular year. It changes so much from year to year, what's acceptable and what's offensive, that those of us that don't listen to MTV or rap music just don't know what's in for any particular year.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,094,380 times
In all of my years ****** was considered demeaning and unacceptable while Negro was the polite, considerate term to use.
Hell, I can call you sweatheart or honey in such a way as I'll bet you'd know you were being .....do I dare say it?.....denigrated.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,940,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is why race relations will never progress, because the liberal faction insists on calling everybody a racist for not using the latest fad word they invented in order to promote their beloved diversity.
Agreed...and the n* word is used a lot between blacks in conversations and I don't know if its from the rap music they listen to or what. But its definitely confusing today...lots of times people are just looking for you to say or imply something that could be taken as a prejudice remark as an excuse to call you out for being a racist. The lines have blended so badly it depends on who you're talking to now.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,217,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
If they use it themselves and find it acceptable to name their organizations Negro, they need to grow up. It's either offensive or it is not. It's stupid and childish.
So many things to say but . Okay I'm calm. There is history behind the word. Once upon a time it was perfectly acceptable but again so was segregation. Times have changed and one would think the census forms would change as well. Again its not the word itself its the context and the meaning behind the usage.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:48 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,069,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
So many things to say but . Okay I'm calm. There is history behind the word. Once upon a time it was perfectly acceptable but again so was segregation. Times have changed and one would think the census forms would change as well. Again its not the word itself its the context and the meaning behind the usage.

So you think that the census is trying to imply something negative by using the word Negro when it is the correct classification? I have to admit I don't like the word but it does not make me have a negative thought about someone who is black.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,415,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This is why race relations will never progress, because the liberal faction insists on calling everybody a racist for not using the latest fad word they invented in order to promote their beloved diversity.
That is the lamest excuse ever for why race relations will never progress.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:55 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,680,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Sorry, I am not buying the context garbage.

How can the census form have "context"?

The double standards and race baiting is ridiculous. Just tell us what the term is that we are supposed to use, and then allow that word to be used to describe people of dark pigmented skin.

The hard part is... drop the double standard non-sense. If Ni**er is an offensive word, then don't use it. Anywhere. From anybody.

I honestly think sometimes the lines are blurred for the SOLE purpose of race baiting and making something about race that never was.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,458 times
You're late John. This topic was posted a week ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...offensive.html

Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,610,583 times
Someone tell me something that DOESN'T offend blacks!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies