Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,200,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Obama is a joke he talks about being fair how fair is it it to punish a bank that did nothing wrong.

Oh that big bad bank has to pay lets ignore this and talk about how bad republicans and banks are. Lets not talk about what Obama is doing lets just criticize the republicans for not liking this even though it will cost me money. I dont mind working more to pay for this
Oh, so you support and are delighted to see those HUGE CEO bonuses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:54 AM

37,527 posts, read 21,742,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Let me get this right... THEY made a mess, WE bailed them out, THEY shouldn't have to pay it back or clean it up? What are you smoking?

Maybe that tax ought to be much higher to discourage corporations from being 'too big to fail'. Plain old vanilla failure where people take their own lumps sure beats AIG failure lumping the entire industrialized world.
There are banks that mismanaged their operations and banks that played by the rules and were not as adversity affected as those banks that were greedy and irresponsible. I don't think 0bama is only targeting the greedy, bailed out banks, he is targeting them all.

But 0bama is not targeting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, hell no, they get a blank check from the taxpayers, and their CEOs get compensated with seven and eight figure salaries.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,422,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Let me get this right... THEY made a mess, WE bailed them out, THEY shouldn't have to pay it back or clean it up? What are you smoking?

Maybe that tax ought to be much higher to discourage corporations from being 'too big to fail'. Plain old vanilla failure where people take their own lumps sure beats AIG failure lumping the entire industrialized world.
Exactamundo! It takes ALOT of toilet paper to clean up the HUGE pile of crap Obama stepped into!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,589,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Obama(the marxist radical) waging war on capitalism...

Alinsky(Obama's hero) taught to target banks. They're a convenient enemy. Everybody hates them. They think bankers steal and cheat and lie, inside information making them and nobody else rich. Alinsky said go after the banks, intimidate them and we take 'em over and we get the money outta there to our constituents. And that's exactly what Obama is doing----- It's all in Alinsky's Rules for Radicals

My Way News - AP source: Obama seeking tax on biggest banks

A little more research would have produced this:

"One thing that jumped out at me is that something along these lines is actually required by law:

The EESA statute that created the TARP requires that by 2013 the President put forward a plan “that recoups from the financial industry an amount equal to the shortfall in order to ensure that the Troubled Asset Relief Program does not add to the deficit or national debt.”"

Why the bank tax is necessary | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters

Old 01-15-2010, 12:02 PM

22,230 posts, read 17,777,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A little more research would have produced this:

"One thing that jumped out at me is that something along these lines is actually required by law:

The EESA statute that created the TARP requires that by 2013 the President put forward a plan “that recoups from the financial industry an amount equal to the shortfall in order to ensure that the Troubled Asset Relief Program does not add to the deficit or national debt.”"

Why the bank tax is necessary | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters
Oh quit bursting the delusional bubbles they so love.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,727,897 times
poor bankers, they might have to give back some of the billions they made off our money - boo hoo

Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,809,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Oh, so you support and are delighted to see those HUGE CEO bonuses?
If they work for it and the Business is earning a profit they should get a bonus if the board approves.

Why work hard to have limited pay

So yea I am long as the business is earning a profit

Old 01-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let me make a wild guess on this proposal. The Repubs will, in lock step, oppose any such plan. Once again demonstrating their "representation" of their real constituents, Big Business. I don't know how they could even garner the level of Public support that they have managed to eke out.
Our opposition is based on common sense, and not partisanship.

"The president planned to propose Thursday a levy of 15 basis points, or 0.15 percent, on the liabilities of large financial institutions to make sure every dollar spent from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program to rescue Wall Street firms, auto companies and mortgage holders is either repaid or paid for. Congress would have to approve the tax."

Taxing banks or automotive companies that did not accept TARP funds, and/or already paid back all TARP loans is not good for our economy. 0bama is taxing Ford Motor company to pay for GM (Government Motors)??

Old 01-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
If they work for it and the Business is earning a profit they should get a bonus if the board approves.

Why work hard to have limited pay

So yea I am long as the business is earning a profit
If a bank accepted TARP funds, and paid them back, the government is wrong to keep on punishing them, with their boot continually on their throat.

I'm sure some banks have fired execs who screwed things up, and now 0bama wants to dictate how much a new hire can be compensated, even after the bank has repaid their TARP loans, or never took a TARP loan in the first place.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,294,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But 0bama is not targeting Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, hell no, they get a blank check from the taxpayers, and their CEOs get compensated with seven and eight figure salaries.
Do liberals honestly not see the hypocrisy in this?? Fannie and Freddie were a HUGE part of the economic collapse, yet they continue to get propped up by us, the taxpayers. Thank you Barnie Frank. Why are the CEO's of F&F getting 7 and 8 figure salaries? Does that not repulse ANY liberal?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies