Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I agree with the French on this matter because I see the veil as a symbol of Islam's unconsionable repression of women. All of the civilized world should do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:00 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
What I find particularly ironic is that any criticism of religious freedom in this country is met with outrage that anyone dare question personal religious beliefs and expressions of those beliefs, but when those criticism are leveled at Muslims, it's apparently fine, even patriotic.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with the French on this matter because I see the veil as a symbol of Islam's unconsionable repression of women. All of the civilized world should do the same.
There are a lot of other religious groups where women could be perceived as being opressed. I abhor the opression of women, but who would take on the role of policing how oppressive is too oppressive, and what would you do about it?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
I have withheld offering an elaborate opinion thus far, but after reading through this topic I can no longer resist.

1. If a woman chooses to wear the burqa, she should be allowed to. Very few "Westernized" Muslim women wear it, but those who do should not be penalized.

2. Laws of Islamic nations are none of our business. If they require all women to wear burqas and require Westerners to wear it minus the head covering, that is their business since it is their country. I have been to Saudi Arabia, and even American women had to wear part of the burqa outside of the ARAMCO complex.

3. Based on point #2, if France wishes to ban it, so be it, it is their country and their business. If this was in the US there would be outrage since it violates the 1st Amendment, France has no such guarantees to freely practice your religion and its respective customs.

4. Should the coverings worn by some orders of nuns also be banned? If we use the same reasoning for banning the burqa, some nuns are also oppresing themselves.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
I see its because you want to protect women... Its not cause of your religious hatred toward Islam... what a joke...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:25 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
I have this to say.
If you want to live in France then you must accept their laws. Its that simple.
I myself would never live in France. Been to France atleast 4 times. It just is not for me. But if I wanted to immgrate to France I would adapt to their laws and culture.
If I was a native of France and they went in a direction that I found unacceptable? I would relocate to a country I found to be more agreeable.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
New York, at least the city, has a ban on wearing masks in public. In some countries there have been members of terrorist groups apprehended before they could do their damage from face recognition technology.
For security grounds, I am for the ban.
Also, a religious code in the US does not trump civil law and the burka is demeaning to a woman. The Koran does not say women should wear the burka. It only says both men and women should dress modestly. The burka is an indignity.

This is not religious persecution because all religions are treated the same in this case. It is those who insist on the veil who are the aberration.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
..... the burka is demeaning to a woman. The Koran does not say women should wear the burka. It only says both men and women should dress modestly. The burka is an indignity.

This is not religious persecution because all religions are treated the same in this case. It is those who insist on the veil who are the aberration.
The presence of the burqa pre-exists Islam in the Middle-east.

Burqa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I personally dislike any religion that oppresses anyone, particularily women, but would never presume to tell anyone how to practice their religion just as I would be very unhappy if someone told me how to practice mine.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:35 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
evil... what makes you think I have a religion?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
evil... what makes you think I have a religion?
Who are you responding to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies