Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 11:09 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,170,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Did you say the same thing about the Thais and other Southeast Asians after the Tsunami?
Nope. Because the Thai were not complaining that we were too slow or not doing enough. They were grateful for everything we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,282,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes and it also occured to me that it is a mob mentality which what you see a lot of in situations like this. This is why it is so important to get the support network for the aid in place first. To control the masses that can and only see their piece of the picture. This prevents chaos caused by those who only care about themselves.
people talking fly equipment in do air drops. And who will operate this equipment? Who will protect the operators? You know from the guys with the machetes?
You're right about air drops. They won't work. Tonight they were showing UN troops at one of the food stations that was set up. That were making sure that everyone standing in one of 6-8 lines was being patient. They'd step in the minute anyone started pushing forward. I wouldn't characterize it as "people who only care about themselves" like you do, though. Anyone without food and water for 3-4 days could get impatient. It's human survival instincts kicking in.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,493,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie1 View Post
Can any one explain to me why the food, water, medical supplies are taking so long to get to these poor people
I fully understand the infrastructure is destroyed & they have a one runway airport, so WHY don't they drop the aid by air???????
Ummm it makes you wonder!!!!
Infrastructure is a huge part of it... and it's completely destroyed for the most part. Even the main airport in Port Au Prince is damaged and filled to capacity with international relief teams.

Haiti's situation, unfortunately is a text book worst case scenario... this earthquake virtually leveled their capital city... leaving any government organizations, police, fire, and special aid teams disabled. Roads are severed off by buildings that have fallen down, power, water, communications... all down.

Its a complete failure. This country has completely fallen apart. There really is no government to speak of anymore, and this will only lead to anarchy.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 PM

46 posts, read 93,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Odd not like west Africa? I seem to recall some africans waving machetes and stealing from their fellow citizens. You know the food brought in by the UN.
I don't know what you mean by africans. Haiti is not in africa, its in the americas. You are from PA, so I assume the longest you have gone without food is several hours. Must be a luxury to be able post on an anonomous message board about how families should just wait a few more days for food when your belly is full.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,775,699 times
Quote:
Can any one explain to me why the food, water, medical supplies are taking so long to get to these poor people
I fully understand the infrastructure is destroyed & they have a one runway airport, so WHY don't they drop the aid by air???????

i hear you...look behind what's going on...make questions to yourself....for me i ask myself is this an attempt for the U.N. / New World Order and our government to use this disaster as a way to say that the only way to get better help next time in a disaster is if we all form together and have the same government and security and military around the world that will be able to act in a faster manner?....i question this also...for real..there is no reason they couldnt have loaded some helicopters on those military ships to drop food from the air...question this and question the health care reform and every decision u see

Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,875,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why don't you volunteer your obvious expertise?

Tell me, if you had no food, water, or shelter, would you just hang around and wait for people to bring it to you, or would you get angry too? You blame them for being passive, you blame them for looting, you blame them for everything. This is a disaster! It's not a "little inconvenience" in life. For G**'s sake, have a little compassion!
with all due respect, i was in 3 hurricanes in florida. we did not get angry and we understood that it was an "act of god". we had no power for weeks and i know people who lived in barefoot bay who lost their mobile homes when they were flattened!

we did not wait for government help, or we would have waited a long time! we cleared roads ourselves, we picked up debris, we fed and helped each other, and those who had helped those who did not. don't tell me it is impossible to behave decently after a disaster.

i think the floating hospital is a great idea because it provides DIRECT help to those directly injured. i think doctors without borders is great for the same reason. what i do not support is throwing US dollars at a "situation" to see what sticks. who doesn't see that a lot of aid (billions) has not made it to its intended destination in haiti previously?

WE ARE NOT THE ONLY COUNTRY WHO IS GIVING THEM AID. we are not the world's savior and people shouldn't be waiting for us to be that.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,160,856 times
Quote:
I'm taking from your statement that you understand infrastructure destruction and one runway, but do not understand time and space and distance.

It takes time to collect and move items. Our airdrop capability is not what it once was and much of what we have is tied up elsewhere. Even if we pulled everything we had from around the globe, it takes time to physically move the assets to points where they can be used and to marshal the supplies needed.

From some of the posts I wonder if we're going to be suffering a tin-foil shortage in this country soon...

Old 01-16-2010, 06:15 AM

23,156 posts, read 26,099,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
with all due respect, i was in 3 hurricanes in florida. we did not get angry and we understood that it was an "act of god". we had no power for weeks and i know people who lived in barefoot bay who lost their mobile homes when they were flattened!

we did not wait for government help, or we would have waited a long time! we cleared roads ourselves, we picked up debris, we fed and helped each other, and those who had helped those who did not. don't tell me it is impossible to behave decently after a disaster.

i think the floating hospital is a great idea because it provides DIRECT help to those directly injured. i think doctors without borders is great for the same reason. what i do not support is throwing US dollars at a "situation" to see what sticks. who doesn't see that a lot of aid (billions) has not made it to its intended destination in haiti previously?

WE ARE NOT THE ONLY COUNTRY WHO IS GIVING THEM AID. we are not the world's savior and people shouldn't be waiting for us to be that.
Excuse me FS, but you shared food and water, etc......you were not without food and water to share.
There is not a comparison here.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:31 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,069,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

Are you actually, actually saying, with a straight face, that you see no difference between the mindset of Americans who live in Florida with the mindset of people in Haiti?

Old 01-16-2010, 07:08 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,819,889 times
A man has no right to make a claim on another man...it is sad today..some people are concerned with only those who suffer and have no concern for those who provide relief from suffering..when there is no actual suffering..you can be sure..it will be invented..

Are the Haitians worthy of help...and can we afford to help them...is the question. They made their pact with the devil..to drive out the White man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies