Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

has ran out of money to pay for food at least once last year.

Is this an important issue or not?

US Households Struggle to Afford Food: Survey | CommonDreams.org

America Increasingly Looks Like A Developing Nation As 30% Of Americans Rapidly Approach Poverty, Or Are Already There

30% of Americans are "rapidly approaching" poverty or are already there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Here we go again! More alarmist "data" from some advocacy group with an agenda.

The first link is to an article from a magazine founded by this guy:

Craig Brown is executive director of CommonDreams.org. Together with his late wife, Lina Newhouser, Brown founded CommonDreams.org in 1997. A carpenter - turned community organizer - turned political consultant, Brown began in progressive politics in the 1970s as a leader of Maine PIRG and as a community organizer working with the homeless and on poverty issues. Brown was an organizer of the anti-nuclear Clamshell Alliance - spending time in New Hampshire jails for sitting in front of bulldozers at the Seabrook Nuclear Plant construction site. Brown has managed many state, local, Congressional and US Senate campaigns over the past 30 years. He has managed and worked for many progressive organizations and referendum campaigns. Brown managed the Congressional campaigns of former US Rep. Tom Andrews of Maine. Brown then served as Chief-of-Staff to Congressman Andrews in Washington for Andrews' two-terms in the US House. In 1991, Andrews co-founded the Congressional Progressive Caucus. In 1994, Congressional Quarterly rated Andrews as the most progressive member of Congress - a designation he was proud of. Andrews currently leads the Win Without War coalition. Brown provides the vision for CommonDreams.org and directs the editorial content and business operations. He lives on the coast of Maine with his teenage daughters, Chloe & Moriah, and his golden retriever, Jackson Brown. Follow Craig on Facebook here or on Twitter here. editor@commondreams.org

It quotes a "study" done by this advocacy group:

Food Research and Action Center (FRAC)

You can read the full "report" here:

http://www.frac.org/pdf/food_hardship_report_2010.pdf

Scroll down to about mid way and you'll find the specifics of the "study."
Please note that the term "food hardship" is never defined and there is absolutely no indication of HOW the survey respondents spent their money. There are numerous ways a person can run out of money for food by the end of the month and some of them are not related to income or social status. For instance, a person who spends his money for drugs, alcohol or gambling might very well end up short of food money. Neither are they asked if they qualify or recieve any kind of public assistance such as food stamps.

The second link provided by the OP goes to an article talking about people falling below the povery level. That article makes no mention of the fact that the official poverty level is a political definition which changes over time or that the dollar value assigned to the poverty level does not include some forms of public assistance.

Once again, this is agenda-driven "data" designed to alarm you into supporting whatever it is those groups want to do.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
has ran out of money to pay for food at least once last year.

Is this an important issue or not?

US Households Struggle to Afford Food: Survey | CommonDreams.org

America Increasingly Looks Like A Developing Nation As 30% Of Americans Rapidly Approach Poverty, Or Are Already There

30% of Americans are "rapidly approaching" poverty or are already there
I ran out of money several times last year and didn't buy any food... I don't consider myself to be poor...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
I think we should steal more from others to feed these people. If they won't give willingly, throw those greedy people in jail. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Oh shock Who knew the economy was in the crapper?

Maybe Obama could focus on the economy and jobs instead of his own personal agenda for a change.

What have you done recently to help the hungry in your area other than pay taxes? Do you volunteer at the food shelters? Do you donate your time and items to them?

I'd rather donate time/rescources directly to the source than have it change hands several times in the bureaucratic machine aka government, losing value along the way.

Charity should not be legislated. The government takes its cut then mismanages the rest.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
It's true. I took the wife to Paris last year and I lost my wallet. We didn't have money for a day.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:25 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh shock Who knew the economy was in the crapper?

Maybe Obama could focus on the economy and jobs instead of his own personal agenda for a change.

What have you done recently to help the hungry in your area other than pay taxes? Do you volunteer at the food shelters? Do you donate your time and items to them?

I'd rather donate time/rescources directly to the source than have it change hands several times in the bureaucratic machine aka government, losing value along the way.

Charity should not be legislated. The government takes its cut then mismanages the rest.
Without a doubt the Government only hinders charity.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Brown sounds like someone I should contact. Seems we agree about most things except the anti-nuclear nonsense.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Without a doubt the Government only hinders charity.
Really? Do you have any proof for that statement?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I ran out of money several times last year and didn't buy any food... I don't consider myself to be poor...
What did you do? Hunt and gather? <joke>

I'm guessing you had enough food until your next pay check...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies