Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:59 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
If researchers confirm that bigotry is either genetic or innate due to differences in the brain when the person is born, would that change your opinion as to if their behavior is disgusting or not?

I am wondering because I think it isn't a choice, I think you are born that way.
So you basically adhere to Determinism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
So if you are born that way, then do they deserve sympathy and it can't be their fault that they have such tendencies.

So would it change your mind on whether their behavior is disgusting if this is proved by medical science?
But that's kind of like asking, "If the world were flat, would you jump off?"

To which I would respond: But the world isn't flat.

I don't think bigotry is genetic. Some people may be genetically predisposed to certain moods or behaviors, but bigotry is learned. Usually from parents, but oftentimes reinforced by society. Bigotry is a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
I agree that bigotry is a choice.

And there is research underway about a potential "violent" temperament (gene). It has been in publication and widely circulated in science journals. If it proves to be correct, and a large enough cohort is used to verify it, perhaps some kind medicine will be developed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies