Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times

Advertisements

"While presidents Obama and Préval spoke on the phone, there were no reports of negotiations between the two governments regarding the entry and deployment of US troops on Haitian soil." The decision was taken and imposed unilaterally by Washington.

The Militarization of Emergency Aid to Haiti: Is it a Humanitarian Operation or an Invasion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
WTH is going on?

US accused of annexing airport as squabbling hinders aid effort in Haiti | World news | The Guardian

US accused of annexing airport as squabbling hinders aid effort in Haiti

Quote:
The US military's takeover of emergency operations in Haiti has triggered a diplomatic row with countries and aid agencies furious at having flights redirected.

Brazil and France lodged an official *protest with Washington after US military aircraft were given priority at Port-au-Prince's congested airport, forcing many non-US flights to divert to the Dominican Republic.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Who do you think has controlled this government for decades? This morning on CNN Clinton and Bush were together when Clinton made a faux pas and said "WE" when referring to "changes" that will result from the earthquake in Haiti. Instead of referring to Haiti directly and saying "THEY" will have to change some things, he instead said "WE are going to have to change some things", just like we changed Presidents there under Clinton.

This should be no surprise that the U.S. is treating this like the invasion of Iraq, its how this country does things.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Here's a possible solution to this crisis, this whining and moaning, and nobody would like it. The U.S. halts all flights in, and pulls all equipment and personnel out to say, GITMO, for a couple of days. Let the Frogs and the Brazilians move their own equipment and personnel in, let them do the heavy lifting for a change. Turn the Carl Vinson around, carry the choppers away. Turn the hospital ship around, too. Then let's see how long the damned bickering would last.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
I was going to make a more elaborate comment, then I noticed the Haitian government gave control of the airport to the US military;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian
The Haitian government, paralyzed by the destruction of the presidential palace and ministries, signed a memorandum of understanding formally transferring control of Toussaint L'Ouverture airport to the US.
Still, the military has trained soldiers that specialize in building airports and roads, and most of our military aircraft were designed to land on short and crappy (i.e. dirt) runways. I suspect the same of European countries, since they use most of the same model aircraft. Build a couple of temp runways..

Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM

472 posts, read 740,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Here's a possible solution to this crisis, this whining and moaning, and nobody would like it. The U.S. halts all flights in, and pulls all equipment and personnel out to say, GITMO, for a couple of days. Let the Frogs and the Brazilians move their own equipment and personnel in, let them do the heavy lifting for a change. Turn the Carl Vinson around, carry the choppers away. Turn the hospital ship around, too. Then let's see how long the damned bickering would last.
My sentiments exactly!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its humans just as it was in the in fight after Katrina. If we pulled put what point would it make other than we are terrible at proving a point on the deaths of people that needlessly died. Why so worried about what desperate epople or some nut cases are saying.UI guess we could stop unemployemnt to see if that makes people stop whinign too;but I doubt it.I call stupid suggestion.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
There's a very good reason why we have to send the military into situations like this, they have the technology and wherewithal to install self sufficient systems and protect them.

I'm not sure how many such outfits they currently have but the Air Force used to have 5 Mobile Communications Groups, now called Combat Communications Groups. I know a bit about this because I spent 5 years in the 2nd MCG.

These units have; complete air traffic control equipment, including control towers, instrument landing systems etc, secure voice and data systems, command and control systems as well as portable generators to power them. All of this gear is mounted on trucks and trailers and, along with the trained personnel to set up and operate them are ready to get on C-130s or other appropriately sized aircraft to deploy on very short notice.

In any type of situation like this maintaining, or if necessary supplanting, civil authority is very necessary to prevent looting, rape, murder and other crimes that often accompany a complete breakdown in civl authority.

BTW, anyone who "invests" in gold as a "hedge against a complete breakdown in our society" need only look at this situation, or NO after Katrina to see that gold is not nearly as valuable as bottled water, emergency food supplies and some way to defend yourself and your loved ones.

golfgod

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Hillary Clinton was there a day or two ago and signed an agreement with whatever government official is still there giving our military control for an "indefinite time."

Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I think the real reason this gets publicity is that some newsies or celebrities got diverted so that aid flights could land. Why are so many news people going there, clogging up the airport, adding more mouths that have to be fed, housed and provided water? At least GHWB and BC haven't gone there yet with their entourages to clutter things up even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies