U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 10:09 AM

759 posts, read 740,760 times

Advertisements

My question was about elected representatives to the US Congress. Umm Michael Steele is not now, nor has he ever been a member of the US Congress. Do you also think it's just coincidence the GOP appoints a black man to be the leader of their party after they were just handed a huge defeat by the first black President? lol Thanks for making my point that there are NO black Republicans currently serving in the US Congress. JC Watts was the last. That was in the 90's. Condi and Powell both were APPOINTED. Neither was an elected official.

quote=LynchburgLover;12496599]Ummm, ever heard of Michael Steele, the HEAD of the Republican Party? Last time I checked, he was black.

While there might not currently be any in Congress, Edward Brooke (MA), Blanche Brook (MS), Pearl Burris Floyd (NC), Henry Cheatham (NC),Oscar Stanton DePriest (IL), Robert Brown Elliott (SC),Gary Franks (CT),Jeremiah Haralson (AL), John Hyman Adams (NC),John Mercer Langston (VA),Jefferson Franklin Long (GA),John Roy Lynch (MS),Thomas Ezekial Miller (SC),George Washington Murray (SC),Charles Edmund Nash (LA),Joseph H. Rainey (SC),James T. Rapier (AL),Hiram Rhodes Revels (MS), and J.C. Watts (OK) were all Republicans and in Congress.

Also, lets not forget Condolezza Rice, Colin Powell (where is he lately?),
and many others from this list List of African-American Republicans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By your reasoning it appears the black Republicans have a bigger problem getting NORTHERNERS to vote for them. Seems many were candidates but not elected.[/quote]
Rate this post positively

Old 01-18-2010, 10:12 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,577,915 times
You apparently have drawn conclusions to suit your own race baiting needs.

You should have titled your thread 'For Blacks only...', but I suspect for race baiting purposes they were not your target audience.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM

This thread was started by a white male from Oklahoma. It is a fact there are no elected black Republicans in Congress. It seems a fair question to ask. If Republicans aren't racist then instead of blaming blacks they should work on winning them over to their way of thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
You apparently have drawn conclusions to suit your own race baiting needs.

You should have titled your thread 'For Blacks only...', but I suspect for race baiting purposes they were not your target audience.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM

25,070 posts, read 15,563,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
There are ZERO black Republicans in the US Congress. Why is that? The logical answer is that the Republican base is racist.
How many black skinned people, from your state are in the US senate and US congress, and for that matter how many women, Hispanics, Asians etc..? Maybe your state is full of racists, sexists and bigots.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

I would not argue that point at all. Oklahoma is full of racist Republicans. Oklahoma was McCain's largest win % wise in the last election. Oklahoma is also the buckle of the bible belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How many black skinned people, from your state are in the US senate and US congress, and for that matter how many women, Hispanics, Asians etc..? Maybe your state is full of racists, sexists and bigots.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:24 AM

1,136 posts, read 628,722 times
I don't know cowboy, judging by that picture you may have a little something goin on there. Have you met ur daddy?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

I have no idea what this means? My parents just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I don't know cowboy, judging by that picture you may have a little something goin on there. Have you met ur daddy?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM

1,136 posts, read 628,722 times
Quote:
I have no idea what this means? My parents just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Give them my congratulations man! I'm just messin with you like you are with everyone else. I don't suspect black folk would be too appreciative though because ur not doin a very good job of defending your set up

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM

5,762 posts, read 4,584,195 times
Quote:
This thread was started by a white male from Oklahoma. It is a fact there are no elected black Republicans in Congress. It seems a fair question to ask. If Republicans aren't racist then instead of blaming blacks they should work on winning them over to their way of thinking!
It's an entirely fair question, and getting attacks instead of thoughtful responses is a dead give-away that racism is involved. The GOP hasn't exactly been thrilled with Michael Steele, nor have they treated him well.
They can't reach out to blacks because they have to stick to their out-dated "welfare queen" mentality; it's darn near part of their platform. Wait; they don't have a platform...just a little loading dock. If they quit
attacking minorities, they lose their base base of bigots.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM

73,524 posts, read 39,345,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Because the democrats in Broward county wont elect Alan West to congress that happens to be black
Maybe the Republicans should elect him since he is Republican.

He is sort of a libertarian though, and I would consider voting for him but my district is in Dade county, although I live in Broward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.