Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM

61 posts, read 35,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
PrincessLove,

Did your friend ask you to join so you could share your blunt racism with the rest of the world? Thanks, I wish you had kept it to yourself.

What friend? You lack reading comprehension skills. Must be the southern schools you have attended in the past.

No thanks on the offer though. The south has already shown their blunt racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
1. intolerance towards gays
2 religion in your face 24/7
3 water tastes nasty
4 republicans/conservatives
5 hatred for anything that isnt white
6. the heat
7 nothing to do
8 depressing country side
9 back stabbing people
10 closed minded people who have never at least went outside their state
11 trashy roads
12 obesity
13 hatred towards obama
14 lack of respect for anyone who wasnt born and raised there
15 southern hospitality is a myth
16 hatred for anything non southern

I assume you learned grammar "up north"? "at least went outside"?

And, let's remember, NC and VA voted for Obama last year; Massachusetts (that's a northern state) just brought him down.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
"after the war the slaves were worse off than when they had masters. Some of them were put in stockades at Angola, Louisana. Some in terrible corrals in Natchez.

Dey caught diseases and died by the hundreds, just like flies. They had been fooled thinking it would be good times, but they were worse off than they ever been."

"When my White folks told us we were free I waited. When the soldiers come they turned us loose like animals with nothing. They had no business setting us free like that. They gave us 160 acres land but it was no good, swampy, had to clear it, but they gave us nothing to clear it with."

James Lucas

Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938

Old 01-21-2010, 04:27 PM

61 posts, read 35,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I assume you learned grammar "up north"? "at least went outside"?

And, let's remember, NC and VA voted for Obama last year; Massachusetts (that's a northern state) just brought him down.
LOL I'm from Mississippi. It's funny how you assume I am from the North.

The transplants in VA and NC made the states go for Obama. No native white southerner would think of such an act.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
Quote:
What friend? You lack reading comprehension skills. Must be the southern schools you have attended in the past.

No thanks on the offer though. The south has already shown their blunt racism.
Probably my favorite thing of all about the South is that the people that hate it so much live elsewhere. Also, I have my doctorate degree in English literature; so I don't think I am the one with the comprehension problem. Once again another sterotype debunked; Southerners believe in education too.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
"after the war the slaves were worse off than when they had masters. Some of them were put in stockades at Angola, Louisana. Some in terrible corrals in Natchez.

Dey caught diseases and died by the hundreds, just like flies. They had been fooled thinking it would be good times, but they were worse off than they ever been."

"When my White folks told us we were free I waited. When the soldiers come they turned us loose like animals with nothing. They had no business setting us free like that. They gave us 160 acres land but it was no good, swampy, had to clear it, but they gave us nothing to clear it with."

James Lucas

Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938

Enough, already. You're not helping.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:50 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
No, DraggingCanoe you are not helping at all. This thread was not intended to debate racism, and I am sorry that I let someone push my buttons too. The South that most of the posters on this thread love is about community, unity, and our love for our homes. We do not need to pay attention to people that are just trying to make us mad. I have fed into their racism, and I will no longer do that. Thanks to everyone who has shared what they love about our region of the country. We are, in my opinion, like nowhere else on Earth.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
smel my reasons for disliking the south were socio-economic. I was born and raised in PA, lived there for 27 years, lived in Miss for two years, now I'm back in PA. Here's how I break it down. Southern women definately classier, prettier, and easier to talk to hands down! Although a Penn State fan, loved southerners' pride of football. Southern people are more hospitable as a rule. The history in the south is pretty interesting too. I lived near Madison, MS and think it is the most beautiful town, very safe and great schools too. What I disliked. One, the weather. Let's face it, May through October is a furnace. It's too hot to go outside. I missed my four seasons and snow. If you have a business or try getting a job as a "Yankee" you are frowned upon a little. The "good ole boy network" still exists. Education by and large in the south is not very good. I know in MS the average teacher pay is 25k a year. At least for Miss, especially in rural areas there's just no sense of urgency to move with the times. Just being honest

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
LOL I'm from Mississippi. It's funny how you assume I am from the North.

The transplants in VA and NC made the states go for Obama. No native white southerner would think of such an act.

Certainly no one is going to brag about the schools in Mississippi. And, you're right, it probably was transplants that pushed NC and VA into the blue state category. The Northerners are pouring into the South very fast and, interestingly enough, rarely vice-versa.

But that's a wonderful thing about this country. Anyone can relocate anywhere. So why not leave the South since you clearly dislike it?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smel View Post
If you love the South tell me why. I am tired of people bashing my home. I love everything about it from the white sugar beaches of Gulf Shores, Alabama to the ancient peaks of the Smokies. The people who still love God, their country, and are proud to call the South their home. I love cat fishing on Fish River and hiking at Cades Cove, riding a paddle boat down the Mississippi River and my grandmother's antebellum house in Madison, Georgia. To be honest I love everything about the South from her marshes to the red clay to the rocky mountainn soil. Let's tell everyone what is so great about the South!
I can hear that banjo tune in Deliverance playing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies