Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's been 6 days now, many people are still burried and awaiting rescue (those still alive). Mobs are getting restless due to several days of waiting for food and water. Medical care is non-existent in most areas. Yet, for all that, this is physically a much smaller, more localized event than Katrina. Katrina devistated several states, not one small island.

Following Katrina, after 2 days, the media and the left were stirring up a schit-storm because some people didn't have hot food and air conditioning. MREs just wern't good enough. GWB and FEMA are cruicified in the press. Yet, now, in spite of poorer response to a more localized event, I see no critizism in the press on the anointed one's response. Or even comments that he can take time off to go stump for a political race in the middle of a crisis response.

One more great example of fair and balanced from the MSM. I'm sure in some way it's all Bush's fault...
One similarity between Haiti's earthquake and Louisiana's Katrina is that both display a complete lack of local government action, and the US federal government is being relied upon to do almost all the work.

Last edited by Wapasha; 01-19-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
...complaints about the prioritization of flights through the airport bottleneck. I read the other day that Bill Clinton arrived in a 757, and that Hilary’s arrival crowded out an aid plane.
Seems as though the state department is having a tough time signing off on bringing to the US some already adopted kids. Supports the conjecture of bad roads, heh? At least not the one preferred. The Dutch sent and flight, picked up and hundred or so kids and headed home. They'll deal with the processing once back in the EuroZone.

Just a typical U.S. government cluster... second/third/fourth/etc verse, different faces. Apparently just toooo big to function efficiently.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I'm sorry but Katrina took place IN OUR OWN COUNTRY...and as noted WE HAD WARNING. I fault EVERYONE who didn't do their part in that disaster, including the local governments (no matter their political persuasion) AND the President of OUR country.
This i totally agree with. I can't believe people are comparing something that happened in a different country to something that happened here in the US, and the continental US no less. While I do think the politicians in LA share most of the blame after Katrina, I also think that much of the blame goes to the President of our OWN country as well. And yes, I blame Haiti's leaders also but it really is difficult to compare what happens here in our backyard to a country that doesn't have decent infrastructure and medical facilities on a good day, much less after a disaster. There really just isn't any logical comparison to blame Obama and/or anyone in the US for what is happening in a FOREIGN country.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
The double standards are astounding.

It is becoming clearer and clearer that the previous 8 years of constant complaining from the left held no validity and was only a means to push a political agenda. 8 years of strawmans. Awesome.

yeaah right!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
Seems as though the state department is having a tough time signing off on bringing to the US some already adopted kids. Supports the conjecture of bad roads, heh? At least not the one preferred. The Dutch sent and flight, picked up and hundred or so kids and headed home. They'll deal with the processing once back in the EuroZone.

Just a typical U.S. government cluster... second/third/fourth/etc verse, different faces. Apparently just toooo big to function efficiently.
Related to that, how many celebrities, media entourages and now politicians need to be in Haiti at a time like this? Every one is another person requiring food, water and shelter in an environment that has none to spare. Not to mention the bottleneck at the airport that they contribute to. Now that the military is controlling the airport, I would hope they are turning around any flights that are NOT transporting aid supplies or people with specific skills that can help in the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies