Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,337,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Joining a small number of employers nationwide, a hospital in Chattanooga, Tenn., has decided to stop hiring people who smoke or use tobacco products, the Times Free Press reports.

Starting Feb. 1, prospective employees at Memorial Hospital will be tested for nicotine as part of the existing mandatory drug screening. Nicotine gum or patches could lead to rejection.

Tennessee hospital to stop hiring smokers -
I'm a smoker and I don't blame them one bit.

Do you ever see fat 400lb personal trainers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
As they said on my local Tennessee News Station last night, are they going to refuse to hire you if you drink or eat too much, too? Maybe they shouldn't hire you if you have too many traffic tickets because that means you're reckless? Maybe they should do medical tests to see if you dabble in drugs? Talk on your cell phone while driving? Have a sexually transmitted disease?

Maybe Catholic hospitals should do a medical examination or hey, check the soon to be National Health Database (the database was in the stimulus bill that has already been signed) to see if you had an abortion and refuse to hire you. How would that go over with some of you?

When they come for your vice as a deal breaker for employment, who will be left to stand up for you?

I don't smoke. I never have. Heck, I'm retired and employment is not even a factor for me. But, I can see where this is going.

You know, if you don't want people to do something on your property, that's one thing, but refusing to hire them and doing medical tests on them is ridiculous for a hospital.

Here's what the tax on cigarettes is paying for:

"Tobacco taxes are soaring to finance a major expansion of health insurance for children. President Obama signed that health initiative soon after taking office."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...ect-wednesday/

Soooooooo, if you drastically pressure smokers to quit, oh look what flies out the window with it, the revenue that pays for Obama's health insurance for children.

Last edited by LauraC; 01-19-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
I've worked at a local major hospital for over ten years now. I can tell you from first hand experience that a great many doctors, nurses, respiratory therapist, and pharmacist all are chain smokers. Our hospital recently made all it's property (outdoors) smoke free. The smokers now go outside the hospital and across the street to smoke. What's amazing is our Plant Operations (boilers, generators, HVAC), Maintenance Dept, and Clinical Engineering (repairs medical devices) do not have any smokers at all. You'd think a bunch of mechanics would be the chain smokers. Nope. It's the medical staff that are the smokers. I'd like to see the hospital in the story enforce this ban on the cigar smoking doctors who do surgery in their operating rooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good, we need to force all smokers to quit.

It is costing the rest who do not smoke of us a ton of money on our health care insurance.

Why should I pay for someone to fill their lungs with cancer?

Besides how can someone who is unhealthy take care of other sick people?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If they're going to stop hiring smokers on the basis that they cost more money to insure and are setting an unhealthy example, when are they going to stop hiring the obese, which is also overwhelmingly a self-inflicted condition?
We have a lady who is both morbidly obese and a chain smoker working in respiratory therapy. When she steps onto the elevator, it shakes. By the time she reached the old smoking area (about twenty yards from the first floor elevator) she is wheezing. We use to have a phone operator who was so heavy that her desk chair would not remain in the height position she set it at. She thought it was broken and sent it to maintenance. Maintenance couldn't find a problem. They contacted the maker and discovered it had a weight limit of 350 lbs. Above that weight, the chair would fail and drop down to the low setting. They told their supervisor who told her supervisor who called her into her office to tell her she exceeded the weight limit of the chair. She then went to her doctor for help. Last I heard, she'd lost over 200 lbs.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If they're going to stop hiring smokers on the basis that they cost more money to insure and are setting an unhealthy example, when are they going to stop hiring the obese, which is also overwhelmingly a self-inflicted condition?

don't forget the drinkers of alcohol
and the salt eaters
and the Christians
and the non-government lovers
and the one's that voted non-democrat
and the ones that eat meat
and on and on it goes......

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I hope they stop people from wearing fragrance products in the hospital, too.
20% of Americans are allergic to fragrance products; they contain neurotoxins, aldehydes, known carcinogens and petrochemicals.

put on a mask or go live in a bubble
good grief, I know some of these flakes they are scary~~

Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,364 times
Quote:
20% of Americans are allergic to fragrance products; they contain neurotoxins, aldehydes, known carcinogens and petrochemicals.
Tell me about it, I really get annoyed when people wear those *spicy* perfumes or colognes

Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
There may be a small number of employers in TN not hiring smokers, but nationwide this is not an unusual practice.
Although there are good reasons for not hiring smokers, my feeling is that smokers should be able to do what they please on their own time.
I'm not a smoker, but I get very uncomfortable when the gov't involves itself in individual rights.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,227,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good, we need to force all smokers to quit.

It is costing the rest who do not smoke of us a ton of money on our health care insurance.

Why should I pay for someone to fill their lungs with cancer?

Besides how can someone who is unhealthy take care of other sick people?
I am really surprised you would say this. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 100%, but this is a liberal viewpoint.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
If someone knows they are allergic to perfumes and colognes then they should make the effort to be pro-active to protect themselves. They shouldn't expect the rest of the country to change for their protection. People are allergic to peanuts. I'm not going to stop eating peanuts or peanut butter. Our hospital still serves and sells peanut based products even though more people are deadly allergic to peanuts than people who imagine they're allergic to an odor. A hospital can tell it's employees to not wear perfume or cologne but they can't tell their visitors (who number in the thousands a day) not to wear perfume or cologne. Get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies