Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

If its a privately owned business, they are free to hire and fire, whomever they deem fit to, for whatever reason.

I don't agree with it, but its not my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM

971 posts, read 1,294,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Would you have a problem with a private company deciding they won't hire black people or mexicans since they represent a higher percentage of the criminal population in the country? Where does discrimination end? I guess it ends where you're not offended.
apples and oranges

Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okccowboy View Post
Uh smoking is one of the main causes of heart disease. It's preventable too.
I'm fully aware of this. Look at the statistics though. A smoker is much more likely to die of cancer than heart disease.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And it is bigotry. Suppose, for instance, that hospital announced they weren't going to hire anyone who has AIDS, or who engage in unprotected sex, or who drive too fast, or any other behavior they find offensive. How would you feel about that? Would you support their refusal to hire someone who is overweight, or who eats junk food instead of salad, or who doesn't exercise enough to suit them, or who swim at unguarded beaches, or who don't wear their life preservers while boating? There are thousands of unhealthy or dangerous things we all do every day. Should they all become a bar to employment, or just smoking?

I would hope your answer to the above questions would be "No"
My answer is yes. Private citizens and private businesses have - and should have - every right to discriminate in this manner if they so choose.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
apples and oranges
sailordave sounds more like an Obama supporter.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Smokers smell bad. I have never met a smoker who didn't reek.
That's one of the main reasons that dislike being around smokers. I'm involved with a home health company for my biweekly infusions I get, and I've gone through SOOOO many nurses in the past few years because I don't want one that smokes. They smell, their equipment smells, and I just feel uncomfortable having someone who smokes sticking me with a needle.

This is a personal issue though... I would never force my home health company to ban the hiring of smokers, but I sure as hell won't have one of them working on me.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
sailordave sounds more like an Obama supporter.
I think you're pigeonholing Obama supporters. I'm a through and through liberal and Obama supporter, and I support this type of discrimination. It's a civil liberties/constitutional issue and I would venture many liberals, Obama supporters, and even Obama himself would agree with me - see the ACLU for example.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good, we need to force all smokers to quit.

It is costing the rest who do not smoke of us a ton of money on our health care insurance.

Why should I pay for someone to fill their lungs with cancer?

Besides how can someone who is unhealthy take care of other sick people?
So, when do we outlaw burger king and beer?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Good, we need to force all smokers to quit.

It is costing the rest who do not smoke of us a ton of money on our health care insurance.

Why should I pay for someone to fill their lungs with cancer?

Besides how can someone who is unhealthy take care of other sick people?
Do0es that aplly to obese satff as well or those that use alcohol or take drugs that affect performance rather prescribed or not.Smokers are not the onyl groupd that cost us taxpayers so muc mney. heart disaese rememebr is a very big killer which can comne from many habits.In fact should we weedout the unheathy from many positions regardless of the cause?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Do0es that aplly to obese satff as well or those that use alcohol or take drugs that affect performance rather prescribed or not.Smokers are not the onyl groupd that cost us taxpayers so muc mney. heart disaese rememebr is a very big killer which can comne from many habits.In fact should we weedout the unheathy from many positions regardless of the cause?
C'mon man, I am totally drunk myself. You really need to use firefox as your browser so that it spell checks for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies