Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support the South seceding from the Union?
Yes, strongly support 88 33.08%
Yes, support 30 11.28%
Don't care either way 33 12.41%
No, oppose 17 6.39%
No, strongly oppose 98 36.84%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
No, the hammer would have been to strip the southern states of statehood, reduce them to territories like Puerto Rico or Guam, and keep them under military occupation until they learned some manners.

And, of course, the treason trials. That would have been the hammer.
Ok, so 12 years of military occupation and running roughshod over everyone and letting everyone from everywhere be able to jump in and gain control in a giant power grab instituting radical policies while keeping them in the Union at the end of a gun wasn't enough?

Your idea seems similar to policies under the Hammer, and Sickle. And it reveals a little bit more about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:19 PM

900 posts, read 673,009 times
Oh come on now, kid. The ink was barely dry on the surrender documents and you guys were up to your old tricks of lynching blacks and carrying on as if nothing had changed.

The south got off incredibly easy in the Civil War - far too easy. And the rest of the country - and especially black people - have paid the price for that ever since. One of which is thread after stupid thread about how the south was right and Lincoln caused the war and black people really had it pretty good on massa's plantation, blah, blah, blah.

Still, if I had your history I'd probably make things up, too.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Oh come on now, kid. The ink was barely dry on the surrender documents and you guys were up to your old tricks of lynching blacks and carrying on as if nothing had changed.

The south got off incredibly easy in the Civil War - far too easy. And the rest of the country - and especially black people - have paid the price for that ever since. One of which is thread after stupid thread about how the south was right and Lincoln caused the war and black people really had it pretty good on massa's plantation, blah, blah, blah.

Still, if I had your history I'd probably make things up, too.
You act as if southerners are naturally violent and hate filled monsters that need to be knocked into extinction.

In comparison, I can't really tell you how well off the south had it when it comes to other quelled countries. I never claimed anything about Lincoln (I do feel however he was a stepping stone to the death of the republic, nothing against him personally though). When it comes to the constituion, the south WAS right. I'm not going to say blacks didn't have it rough, but not quite as bad as modern media loves to portray it.

The main part of my family was on the rough Arizona frontier during that war, I only have a few relatives that were in it (I'm not quite sure how I'm related to Lee, all I know is that his bloodline expanded into Tennessee and then out here).

All your claims, throughout all these threads, only ONCE backed up (which was just a book re-telling the last month of the war), the rest were total bullocks because you claimed it was all treason, we debunked your claim with the Cheif Justice Chase's quote. You claim all sorts of things that you still cannot back up.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:30 PM

61 posts, read 35,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Let's talk "racist culture" PrincessLove...want to? Where are you from? Where do you consider yourself from?

I'm from Mississippi the state that still has the Confederate battle flag on our state flag.

We all know what the flag stands for.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLove View Post
I'm from Mississippi the state that still has the Confederate battle flag on our state flag.

You need not jump to conclusions. The Confederate Battle Flag is objective in it's meaning, it can mean anything to anyone like every other flag. I'll be going on a trip to Mississippi in July, I'll pick up a state flag while I'm there.

I know what the flag stands for, TO ME! It means the south, it's history, something that should never be put under the rug. Pride in the Confederacy's great sacrifice, Mississippi is unique to still have that flag and I would be PROUD if I were ever from there.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:10 PM

61 posts, read 35,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
You need not jump to conclusions. The Confederate Battle Flag is objective in it's meaning, it can mean anything to anyone like every other flag. I'll be going on a trip to Mississippi in July, I'll pick up a state flag while I'm there.

I know what the flag stands for, TO ME! It means the south, it's history, something that should never be put under the rug. Pride in the Confederacy's great sacrifice, Mississippi is unique to still have that flag and I would be PROUD if I were ever from there.
Well Desert kid, as a black southerner seeing that flag only means slavery and nothing else. I've actually met the white decendants that have held my ancestors as slaves. For some southern whites that flag means pride in the south, the southern way of life etc and I know alot of southern whites who dislike the flag also.

Oh well safe travels. Though I think that there isn't much to see here lol.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well Desert kid, as a black southerner seeing that flag only means slavery and nothing else. I've actually met the white decendants that have held my ancestors as slaves. For some southern whites that flag means pride in the south, the southern way of life etc and I know alot of southern whites who dislike the flag also.

Oh well safe travels. Though I think that there isn't much to see here lol.
Like I said, it's meaning is objective, and you are entitled to your beleifs as am I.

Thing is, I think much differently in places to see. I am a huge civil war buff, and I can't wait to see Vicksburg battlefields and Natchez plantation homes, Raymond, Port Gibson, and all sorts of other things while there.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
My own family roots are very deep in the great state of Mississippi. And I am proud of that fact. As I recall, "exit polls' on that particular question indicated that at least a third of black Mississippians favored keeping the state flag as is, right?

Quote:
Well, I know what is stands for for ME and mine. That is, history and heritage.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
An interesting note: Southerners are more likely to say that their ancestry is "American" than other regions of the U.S. - either American or African-American, but still American, nevertheless.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.jpg

One could argue that the South is the most American region of the country. (This isn't my belief, necessarily.)

Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Sorry Reb, but when you start using a piece of dirt like Anne Coulter for your source, you lose what little credibility remained. Which admittedly wasn't very much.
I sorta anticipated you would use the ad homimin attack on Coulter to make your point. BUT...it is not a matter of liking her or not. It is a matter of if what she said is correct. And it is. Southerners (black and white) have always formed a disproportionate number among the United States military.

Quote:
Gee, I wonder why so many southern blacks join the military? Maybe it's to escape rednecks and blinding poverty that is the hallmark of the south in general and southern blacks in particular.
Maybe it is. I don't know. What I DO know is that you are starting to rant and rave. So are you saying that blacks from the South who join the military are the victims of racism and/or being stupid?

Quote:
Regarding Lee and his begging for food, I refer you to page 189 of Jay Winik's book 'April, 1865 - The Month That Saved America', where Lee whined that, with respect to food "...Indeed I have nothing for my own men", whereupon Grant foolishly agreed to give him 25,000 rations. A far better response would have been "not my problem, General".
Actually, I think I HAVE read it. As I said, AA, I have probably forgotten more books on the War than you ever read.

But anyway, where do you come by -- even from your own elipsed quotation -- that Lee "whined" or "begged"? Grant first brought up the subject and made the offer.

Quote:
You persist in this absolute fantasy that southerners make up a 'majority' of the American military. Even factoring blacks into the equation, which I guess you guys are willing to do when the circumstances favor you, it is simply an unsupportable claim.
That data has been provided many times over. To wit: that Southerners make up a disporportionate number in the military. Provide your own evidence otherwise, will you?

Quote:
But we've gone well off-topic here. We should be focusing on our areas of agreement. We both strongly support southern secession - you in post #168, me in post #180 - from the United States. We should be focusing on how we can work together to make that a reality.
Actually, I agree more with those who want D.C. to secede. Plus the NE beltway and the west coast.

That way the rest of us wont have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies