Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support the South seceding from the Union?
Yes, strongly support 88 33.08%
Yes, support 30 11.28%
Don't care either way 33 12.41%
No, oppose 17 6.39%
No, strongly oppose 98 36.84%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:37 PM

900 posts, read 672,665 times

Advertisements

Mississippi is a lot of things, but great isn't one of them. It's at the bottom of every single quality of life measurement that can be made. But I know that sort of stuff isn't very important as long as they can still wave that stupid flag.

An absolute armpit of a state. Just one example:

America's Healthiest And Unhealthiest States - MSN Health & Fitness - Health Topics

Oh, what the hell. Here's another example:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Yeah, boy, that's some great state.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Mississippi is a lot of things, but great isn't one of them. It's at the bottom of every single quality of life measurement that can be made.
Consider that Mississippi has the largest black population (as a percentage) of any state. It's unfair to compare the overall health of Mississippi to a state like Vermont. Chances are that the white population of Mississippi is just as healthy as the white populations of most other states.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I sorta anticipated you would use the ad homimin attack on Coulter to make your point. BUT...it is not a matter of liking her or not. It is a matter of if what she said is correct. And it is. Southerners (black and white) have always formed a disproportionate number among the United States military.

We've now gone from 'majority' to 'disproportionate'? Wrong again.

Maybe it is. I don't know. What I DO know is that you are starting to rant and rave. So are you saying that blacks from the South who join the military are the victims of racism and/or being stupid?

No, they're victims of racism and they are poor. The whites from the south who join only get to claim one of those.

Actually, I think I HAVE read it. As I said, AA, I have probably forgotten more books on the War than you ever read.

But anyway, where do you come by -- even from your own elipsed quotation -- that Lee "whined" or "begged"? Grant made the offer.

He whined. Deal with it. And Grant caved in to him. I'd have suggested Lee feed his men his own ego. He certainly had plenty of that.

That data has been provided many times over. To wit: that Southerners make up a disporportionate number in the military. Provide your own evidence otherwise, will you?

Your claim was that A) Southerners constituted a majority of the U.S. military, and B) Southerners saved all of us ungrateful wretches from else where from the Nazis. Both claims hogwash.

Actually, I agree more with those who want D.C. to secede. Plus the NE beltway and the west coast.

Yes, but that isn't the qustion, is it? You are on record as strongly supporting Southern secession, and I agree with you. Those other areas are comprised of Americans. They won't secede.

That way the rest of us wont have to.
No fair changing your mind. I'm just so happy you and I have finally found common ground on something. You favor leaving the United States and I favor you leaving the United States! Ain't life grand!

Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Consider that Mississippi has the largest black population (as a percentage) of any state. It's unfair to compare the overall health of Mississippi to a state like Vermont. Chances are that the white population of Mississippi is just as healthy as the white populations of most other states.

Really? And why would that be?

Or are you telling me that Mississippi has the resources and the interest in working to keep its white population healthy - although that's highly debatable, given what I've seen of rural white Mississippians - but that it hasn't provided the same resources and effort on its black population?

Gee, I wonder why that is.

Kind of like its education system, I'll bet.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 557,993 times
Quote:
Mississippi is a lot of things, but great isn't one of them. It's at the bottom of every single quality of life measurement that can be made. But I know that sort of stuff isn't very important as long as they can still wave that stupid flag.

An absolute armpit of a state. Just one example:

America's Healthiest And Unhealthiest States - MSN Health & Fitness - Health Topics

Oh, what the hell. Here's another example:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Yeah, boy, that's some great state.

Yea,along with the rest of the south it must be a miserable place to live.

...Happiest States Revealed by New Research | LiveScience

Arguably are maybe not,that may be the most important poll.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Or are you telling me that Mississippi has the resources and the interest in working to keep its white population healthy - although that's highly debatable, given what I've seen of rural white Mississippians - but that it hasn't provided the same resources and effort on its black population?
No, but there are genetic and cultural differences between whites and blacks that lead to different outcomes in health and well-being.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Angry Angus wrote;

Quote:
No, they're victims of racism and they are poor. The whites from the south who join only get to claim one of those.
Ok. No way to argue against the race-card. But have it your way. The blacks from the South who join the military are victims of racism.

Quote:
He whined. Deal with it. And Grant caved in to him. I'd have suggested Lee feed his men his own ego. He certainly had plenty of that.
Deal with what? LMAO You keep saying that, but provide nothing to prove it. Par for the course, for you.

Quote:
Your claim was that A) Southerners constituted a majority of the U.S. military, and B) Southerners saved all of us ungrateful wretches from else where from the Nazis. Both claims hogwash.
Oh man. My claim -- as it always has been -- is that Southerners make up -- and always have -- a disproportionate number in our nations armed forces. You say othewise. Prove me wrong. Simple as that. The rest of this is just your usual rant...

Quote:
Yes, but that isn't the qustion, is it? You are on record as strongly supporting Southern secession, and I agree with you. Those other areas are comprised of Americans. They won't secede.
I am on record as strongly supporting Southern secession IF -- and only if -- there is justification to do so. Same as Southern men like Robert E. Lee and Sam Houston, did. It is not something to be taken lightly.

Quote:
No fair changing your mind. I'm just so happy you and I have finally found common ground on something. You favor leaving the United States and I favor you leaving the United States! Ain't life grand!
LOL As it is, Angry Angus, I think we Southerners are perfectly content and happy within the United States as envisoned by our Founding Fathers and the original intent of the Constitution. Are you?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth."
---Robert E. Lee

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjive View Post
Yea,along with the rest of the south it must be a miserable place to live.

...Happiest States Revealed by New Research | LiveScience

Arguably are maybe not,that may be the most important poll.
Boy, there's something that's easy to measure. Happiness. I'm convinced. Stay away from those other statistics like poverty levels and infant mortality rates and education level - you know, those things that can actually be measured.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:56 PM

[quote=TexasReb;12584063]Angry Angus wrote;

Ok. No way to argue against the race-card. But have it your way. The blacks from the South who join the military are victims of racism.

No, I said they joined the military to get away from Rednecks and from grinding poverty. Both very valid reasons for doing so.

Deal with what? LMAO You keep saying that, but provide nothing to prove it. Par for the course, for you.

The record at Appomattox speaks for itself. Lee begged for food and Grant gave it to him. I've given you proof. You choose to ignore it.

Oh man. My claim -- as it always has been -- is that Southerners make up -- and always have -- a disproportionate number in our nations armed forces. You say othewise. Prove me wrong. Simple as that. The rest of this is just your usual rant...

Providing you with proof does little good, but here goes: In your post # 199 you claimed that "...mostly southern men and women protected you from having been conquered by Nazi Germany..." This in spite of the fact that we had a draft that applied to everybody. Unless, of course, your claim is that the South has more people than the North, East, and West combined.

In your post #206 you repeated the fiction that "...the South makes up the relative majority of those in the military..."

I am on record as strongly supporting Southern secession IF -- and only if -- there is justification to do so. Same as Southern men like Robert E. Lee and Sam Houston, did. It is not something to be taken lightly.

No fair qualifying your statement now. Besides which, doesn't the election of Barack Obama provide you good ol' boys with all the justification you need?

LOL As it is, Angry Angus, I think we Southerners are perfectly content and happy within the United States as envisoned by our Founding Fathers and the original intent of the Constitution. Are you?

So, as long as we can have a United States where slavery is allowed, women can't vote, and the South can control the national agenda, your willing to stay in the Union. Got it. No thanks.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, but there are genetic and cultural differences between whites and blacks that lead to different outcomes in health and well-being.

Please explain. Blacks just aren't as interested in being healthy or happy as white folks? I don't understand. Perhaps you can enlighten me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies