Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 04:49 AM

282 posts, read 1,169,088 times

Advertisements

If you have the means, if there is ANY WAY, help the people of Haiti.
Remember Katrina? Our own country and not many people did much.
It was "just" a city. This is a country devistated.They need help.
Don't go to McD's or Burger King for lunch. Think of the lives you could save by sacrificing one cheese burger.
Please, in the Lords name help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
Don't go to McD's or Burger King for lunch. Think of the lives you could save by sacrificing one cheese burger.
Not me. I have a very different view on this.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 AM

12 posts, read 19,314 times
Me also, the country is noted since the days of Popadoc for being corrupted. It is more likely that some bureaucrat will eat my lunch than the person it was intended for. This is not to mention that there is no shortage of aid it is not getting in to be implemented. Bottlenecking more supplies is not the answer.

Now I will say someone should have lead Pat Robertson off stage and locked him in the Looney bin when he said it was because someone sacrificed a pig on a alter. LOL this guy is the real tragedy, no wait its the people who believe in this crap.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 AM

222 posts, read 811,021 times
Default Get Your Facts Straight

Quote:
No doubt the people of Haiti are suffering and that anyone who can (and wants to) should try to help.

However, I take offense to the commonly held belief you repeat here that "not many people did much" after Katrina. According to ABC News, Americans donated more than $4 BILLION dollars to help the victims in New Orleans and other areas. And that doesn't count the time volunteers put in or the money the Federal government has poured into that area. So please, don't repeat the tired line that no one did anything to help. I personally know people from Michigan who took time off their jobs and away from their families to offer assistance, some for several months.

Next time, just ask people to help. Don't try and make us feel guilty because you don't think we did enough last time.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 AM

809 posts, read 1,950,499 times
There are massive efforts underway as we read this thread. The Assemblies of God has sent missionaries there to help rescue, feed and rebuild. The A/G has sent the Convoy of Hope and are now there with feeding and hospital work. Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse was there as soon as they could land their plane. World Vision is there. Just about every denomination of churches that I can name either have someone there or are mounting efforts to help.

The trouble is with distribution of food logistics, they are nearly out of gasoline with ports destroyed, doctors are either dead or not to be found, water is contaminated or unavailable. That's only the short list of their challenges.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchiemama View Post
Me also, the country is noted since the days of Popadoc for being corrupted. It is more likely that some bureaucrat will eat my lunch than the person it was intended for. This is not to mention that there is no shortage of aid it is not getting in to be implemented. Bottlenecking more supplies is not the answer.

Now I will say someone should have lead Pat Robertson off stage and locked him in the Looney bin when he said it was because someone sacrificed a pig on a alter. LOL this guy is the real tragedy, no wait its the people who believe in this crap.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
You're talking about a government.
I'm talking about people.
There's a difference. Do you honestly believe that b/c OUR gov't is corrupt that ppl in need shouldn't be helped?
silly.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
No doubt the people of Haiti are suffering and that anyone who can (and wants to) should try to help.

However, I take offense to the commonly held belief you repeat here that "not many people did much" after Katrina. According to ABC News, Americans donated more than $4 BILLION dollars to help the victims in New Orleans and other areas. And that doesn't count the time volunteers put in or the money the Federal government has poured into that area. So please, don't repeat the tired line that no one did anything to help. I personally know people from Michigan who took time off their jobs and away from their families to offer assistance, some for several months.

Next time, just ask people to help. Don't try and make us feel guilty because you don't think we did enough last time.
People in New Orleans are still suffering from Katrina.
You throw a number out there and that says something,
to you.It didn't help ppl. Look at all the trailers, ment for the homeless, that didn't get put in place. I know, I had 2 ladies staying with me from there, talked to a National Guard member and the concensus was : BS.I contacted the Red Cross to volunteer ."We'll get back to you." More BS.
Step up, don't quote me numbers.
Whom did you talk to?

Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM

8 posts, read 8,666 times
We have people here who can not get health care and you want us to give to another country? Not me. I will give at home first. I would support taking by force money from the church to give to Haiti lets start with robertsons church.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAsucks View Post
We have people here who can not get health care and you want us to give to another country? Not me. I will give at home first. I would support taking by force money from the church to give to Haiti lets start with robertsons church.
Yes, I understand where you're coming from.BUT, Children are dieing from a disaster. It is up to us to help. You think China/ Russia cares? Our problems are gov't created.Fix it, in the meantime,plz, help.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
You're talking about a government.
I'm talking about people.
There's a difference. Do you honestly believe that b/c OUR gov't is corrupt that ppl in need shouldn't be helped?
silly.
Did you see on the news where men with machetes were threatening women with babies and children for food being handed out, grabbing it from them?

Also it turns out that many of he celebrities are paying themselves out of funds being donated to them -- taking a good chunk of the charity for themselves.

So if you give, give carefully. Why should some thug who just whacked a woman or a child get anything from me? And certainly I'm not donating anything that's got some celebrity behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies