Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times

Advertisements

Actually... no, i'm pretty happy with the decades I grew up in ... born in the 80's and spent my teen years in the 90's. I had such a great child hood, great parents, great location, and great friends... wouldn't have changed a thing!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,280 times
I dont know about being born in a different time period, because then I wouldnt have alot of the technological and scientific/medical advancements that we do today, but it would be nice to live a certain time period of my life in a different part of time, like live out my 20's in either the 70s or 80s, or go back in time and live my teen [10-19] years in the 90s ,etc.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,333,858 times
I would have liked to have lived in the late 1800s in the US. I believe that people were freer then. It was dog-eat-dog, but I'd throw my hat in that ring. Fortunes were made then. Industries were born. Cost of living was low, taxes were low, and America was moving forward.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
Want to be 18 years old in 1940. Join the Army Air Corp. Fly fighters shooting up Japs and Germans.
Then fly the X-Series planes as a test pilot. Then fly the Appollo missions. Then fly for TWA or PanAm and do as many beautiful stewardesses as humanly possible.
.............the stews are a long, long way from what they were back then....sigh.

Last edited by amerifree; 01-19-2010 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:04 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,198 times
I like being in my 20s now. I feel that we are in the "future" (in the sense of the beginning stages of extremely advanced medical and technological development), but we are still have remnants of previous eras that still affect us. It's great to see how things have changed in my own lifetime (from the minority of the population having internet in 1993 to the majority having internet today). Society is changing rapidly and setting the tone for the next great revolutions technologically and socially...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I like being in my 20s now. I feel that we are in the "future" (in the sense of the beginning stages of extremely advanced medical and technological development), but we are still have remnants of previous eras that still affect us. It's great to see how things have changed in my own lifetime (from the minority of the population having internet in 1993 to the majority having internet today). Society is changing rapidly and setting the tone for the next great revolutions technologically and socially...

That's funny because I lived at a time when NO ONE had computers, everyone had dial tone phones. But you'll see stuff way ahead when I and others older are gone...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I was born in the 50's and was a teenager in the 70's and believe me it was not all that. I hate even thinking about it and I had it good! It was just ugly, boring and bleh. I wish I was born sometime after the 90's, the world today is much more interesting to me and I'd love to be young enough to grow up with it.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I think it would've been great to be born in the 50's and be a young adult in the 70's.
and it’s 1, 2, 3, what’re we fighting for?
don’t ask me, I don’t give a damn
the next stop is Vietnam

Born in the 50's you would have been drafted. Would you have gone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJ6KhqW46M

Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Sometimes because I enjoy camping and living like that, I think I could go way way way back, I could give up even electricity, modern home, phones of all kinds, television, cook and eat outdoors, stay warm and socialize around the fire -- but I'd like to keep my laptop.

The stone age has a certain appeal, not too many people, no worries about global warming unless your campfire got out of control and burned the whole forest. Not a lot of laws, living was simple back then.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sometimes because I enjoy camping and living like that, I think I could go way way way back, I could give up even electricity, modern home, phones of all kinds, television, cook and eat outdoors, stay warm and socialize around the fire -- but I'd like to keep my laptop.

The stone age has a certain appeal, not too many people, no worries about global warming unless your campfire got out of control and burned the whole forest. Not a lot of laws, living was simple back then.

But you'd be living just like a wild animal. If you're not sleeping with one eye open, you're looking for food. That can be awfully exhausting. Just look at Survivor. They have food all around them but they're hungry all the time, tired and sleepy, only because they have to catch their food.

Definitely you'd never gain a pound.

The other thing is, you'd believe in superstition because you don't have an understanding of science. So if there's lightning, you'd sacrifice the last deer to appease the lightning god over feeding your family. Or do some other crazy thing because you don't know any better.

I do agree there is a sense of freedom, simplicity, and being out in nature that is unsurpassed. Those Amazon tribespeople and others living in New Guinea...certainly look very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies