Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM

59 posts, read 120,572 times

Advertisements

There are thousands of orphaned children in the U.S. that need loving homes. I think it's because children from foreign countries are thought to be "exotic"- they aren't just another ordinary American. If I were ever to adopt a child I would most certainly adopt one from the United States. I guess I just have more of a "my country comes first" point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,261,252 times
Default Why do people insist on adopting children from foreign countries instead of children from the U.S.?

Fewer chemical additives.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,407,310 times
American families do adopt children from America all the time. And the idea that they're going to foreign countries because they don't want black children is both frightening and hilarious. What color children do you think they're adopting from Africa and Asia? Certainly not caucasian!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-19-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,082,701 times
Well, I can't speak for everyone but I will speak for the ones that I know about.

1. My sister and brother in law adopted a baby from India 30 years ago. She is grown, married, has two little ones, and is a nurse now. They adopted from India because they could have no children, wanted the experience of raising a child from infancy, and were on waiting lists for so long that they had finally realized that they would "age out" of adoptive age if they didn't adopt soon. It turned out wonderfully.

2. A friend and her husband adopted a 2 year old boy who had been removed by the courts from his birth mother because she was a drug addicted prostitute who had left him alone for days at a time. 3 days before the adoption would have been final the mother changed her mind about signing the final papers, found a sympathetic judge, and had the adoption set aside. The court returned that sweet little boy to the nightmare in which he had been living before. Why did they go overseas? Because they would not go through that again.

3. Another friend and her husband have been trying to adopt for years. They have jumped through every hoop possible and were trying to adopt a child that was in the foster system. They made it very clear that they were willing to adopt an older child, didn't care about race, didn't care about gender, just wanted to give a child a loving, beautiful, stable home. They were told that since they are now in their early 40s, haven't had a child, and are white, they were not appropriate parents for a child of a different race or a child who might have problems that they would not know how to deal with since they were childless. So, no child for them. So why would they NOT adopt from overseas when the system made it impossible for them to give a home to any of the thousands of children in need of that home.

Until the system in this country starts making adoption actually work for the child instead of for preconceived ideas of social workers it just makes sense for people with so much love to give to give it to those they are allowed to love.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,186,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omckenzie710 View Post
There are thousands of orphaned children in the U.S. that need loving homes. I think it's because children from foreign countries are thought to be "exotic"- they aren't just another ordinary American. If I were ever to adopt a child I would most certainly adopt one from the United States. I guess I just have more of a "my country comes first" point of view.

what a stupid thread!!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:08 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,407,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

3. Another friend and her husband have been trying to adopt for years. They have jumped through every hoop possible and were trying to adopt a child that was in the foster system. They made it very clear that they were willing to adopt an older child, didn't care about race, didn't care about gender, just wanted to give a child a loving, beautiful, stable home. They were told that since they are now in their early 40s, haven't had a child, and are white, they were not appropriate parents for a child of a different race or a child who might have problems that they would not know how to deal with since they were childless. So, no child for them. So why would they NOT adopt from overseas when the system made it impossible for them to give a home to any of the thousands of children in need of that home.
Bah, I hate reading this one. My husband and I are working with a foster agency to become certified (which is not free, btw), with the goal of adopting. We're in our 40s, caucasian and have no children of our own. If this becomes an impediment I will be so angry.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,443,077 times
OP, do you actually KNOW anyone who has adopted, either domestically or internationally? I do...I know of two of my friends who each adopted. The one that went domestic waited, I believe, almost 2 yrs and then were terrified that the birth mother would come back for the baby. It was quite honestly, torture. My other friends adopted from Russia, they decided to adopt in March and had two sisters (18 mos and 5) in their arms on their way home from Russia by May. You can't argue with that. SO, I believe (and have been told often) rather than being for "trendy" reasons, it is just easier to adopt outside the US.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,374,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
what a stupid thread!!!!

I agree stupid thread, and pointless. What's the point, should be happy, that thes kids, are being adopted period, overseas, and here, the fact that they are given loving homes, and a chance of a good life is what should matter, I have know People who have adopted Children from right here. Maybe they shouldn't make the rules so tough here in the Sates, so that more can be adopted, but it is a hoop la i udnerstand, to be able to adopt, right here at home.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,259,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree stupid thread, and pointless. What's the point, should be happy, that thes kids, are being adopted period, overseas, and here, the fact that they are given loving homes, and a chance of a good life is what should matter, I have know People who have adopted Children from right here. Maybe they shouldn't make the rules so tough here in the Sates, so that more can be adopted, but it is a hoop la i udnerstand, to be able to adopt, right here at home.
I actually agree with you! To me, it shouldn't matter in the least where a child is adopted from, that is one less child that has to sit languishing in the system. Shouldn't people be happy that there are people out there who are so giving of themselves that they simply want to adopt a child regardless of where the child was born?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:07 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,374,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
I actually agree with you! To me, it shouldn't matter in the least where a child is adopted from, that is one less child that has to sit languishing in the system. Shouldn't people be happy that there are people out there who are so giving of themselves that they simply want to adopt a child regardless of where the child was born?

As i agree with you, WOW we agree on something, but something that is a very good cause?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies